aliens

Author Topic: The Endless war, A total conversion for Openxcom.  (Read 81756 times)

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: The Endless war, A total conversion for Openxcom.
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2018, 05:04:16 am »
I took a look at the mod, and it is very intriguing. I can see there is a lot of material, like TONS of new stuffs. It have a very interesting atmosphere, and I think it has a lot of potential. But there are several details to polish that make the mod a little unbearable.

DISCLAIMER: I´m not a modder, and I don´t want to interfere with your creative processes. I just think this has a lot of potential and maybe the next suggestion could make this mod an awesome one.

- I don't know if lots of research at the beginning of the game should be there. You have lots of research and options that looks like they are not polished yet. I understand that each mod needs some time to get used to, but here you have at the beginning lot of research that looks like should be locked at the beginning, like those body recovered researches.

- The lore looks fantastic, but not only the articles on the ufoapedia needs better order, but lot of redaction is frankly deficient. (I know, I´m not an English native speaker and I make lots of horrible mistakes, but it is a point I need to remark). I know it is hard, but I think you can try to make a better sense and place for each element in the mod.

- The way you organize the mod is a little weird. I don't say there is a correct answer, but deleting all the normal standard mods and make that folder your default mod folder is a little different from several others big mods. And to have tons of minimods... well, I guess it helps you to see all the things that you have, but it is just weird.

- The last download has a folder with lots of executables, and there are some savegames too, that looks like they are test that you are doing. There is another thing you have in the download that you should not have, but I can tell that on a PM.

- More than a suggestion, a question. There are some options that are intended for playing the mod?, things like explosions types, instants grenades or not, etc. Maybe you can enforce some and let the others free.

Those are some of the stuff. As I say before, I think this project have a great potential, but needs some serious polishing. You are doing an awesome work, the quantity of content and the atmosphere are just fantastic!.

Wish you a lot of patience and luck and success with this awesome project.

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2018, 12:39:28 pm »
Hello:
Thank you for your advices. You are right. The research is a bit chaotic, although I tried to create a mod, where this aspect was complicated. I did not intend to mess it up so much, but I've been ircorporating things, because of my desire to include everything that has occurred to me.
When I created the mod, from the first one I did, the one from Mig-27, I wanted to create everything in a single file, but I had errors, I was learning, and I opted for this folder solution. Now, it's a bit difficult for me to change my work mode.
The executable files have been a mistake of mine. I was trying different executables as they came out, and it happened to me to remove them. The saved games are proofs, effectively. Another mistake of mine.
If I have included some material that I should not, I apologize and I will withdraw it, of course. If it is for the maps, it is due to my null ability to create them. Dioxine gave me his permission. If this is not the case, with other authors, I will acknowledge your work or withdraw that material. The issue is that the different mods are so interrelated that you would surely have to remove the entire mod.
The Ufopedia is chaotic, I know, but I think that as you investigate things, the order of appearance is not relevant. The writing is poor. I do not master English well, right. I thought about writing the mod in Spanish, but I preferred to take a risk, and do it that way, so that more people can play it, although some grammatical expressions are really horrible.
I have not analyzed that question of options, although I suppose that they can be used without problems. In the mod there is no restriction in this respect as far as options are concerned.
Currently, the mod is playable. In fact, someone has managed to complete it, I think in half a year, and that has seemed good. He was kind enough to narrate his experience in the forum.
Right now, I create the folders of new mods, by hobby, at the rate of two-three a day. I try them, and I see that they are going well, I move on to the next one, when I feel like resuming it. In fact, The Endless War, it can be finished, but I'm still including things. I think what started as an experiment has turned into something huge. I have a tendency, it may be a bad habit, to mix different issues, and themes, from games, movies, anything, and have it included in the mod or inspired by it, with different luck. The chaotic nature of The Endless War, is due to this. I have much more content, but for the moment, I will not upload another version until I debug it well.
In fact, this mod, could be compared, humbly, and saving the distances, of course, with a very old man, who is building a cathedral in Mejorada del Campo, in Madrid, for more than fifty years, with his hands, and that is not over yet. The example I think is valid, to give an idea of what The Endless War really represents.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 01:18:24 pm by alinare »

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2018, 04:56:44 pm »
Alinare, I think the thing ajnunezr saying is that in the mod package, the original game files are also distributed with it, which itself can be used for piracy. I pretty much recommend that every time you pack the mod, remove the original vanilla files and then upload. That's the wrong thing you accidentally done. (I was going to report this when I analyzed the data structure of the mod, but somehow I forgot because I'm busy finishing this mod :) )

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2018, 09:04:19 pm »
You're right Yataka, that's what I mean, but did not want to say it aloud :P.

Alinare, your mod have a fantastic potential, I hope you don't take my words as if they have bad intentions. I was just making a quick review.

Have fun with modding, you are doing great.

Offline Pietje666

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 19, 2018, 06:25:32 pm »
A good mod
but does the cell blocks have a function cause when i tried to stun the enemy it says i don't have a running alien containment so they had to be killed.

In the current version v1.14 the mod structure looks quite messy and too many mods who could be combined into one.
Then you have the dependencies intact when you enable or disable a mod.

Offline Niewiem

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2018, 01:31:53 pm »
First post of the topic has info about disabling/enabling mods
"Do not deactivate any mod, as this could create gaps in the game. Leave it by default, as it is. To a greater or lesser extent, all mods are related to each other. Logically, everyone, is free to do what he prefers."

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 21, 2018, 08:44:27 am »
Hello:
New version of mod. I have removed some "sensitive" files from the OpenXcom folder. I have left the essentials for it to work. I have also introduced a list of changes made, as promised, since the last update.
Changelog v.115:
- New units:
   - Mass Driver Tank
   - XCOM Martian Drone
   - XCOM Combat Drone
   - M1 Abrams
   - Type-90
   - Chieftain
   - M-113
   - M-60
   - MVRL
   - T-64
   - T-14 Armata
   - T-57 Flak Tank
   -  Black Wolf Sht
   - Black Wolf SHT
   - FV214 Conqueror Heavy Tank
   - ZSU-23-4 Shilka
   - 1097 Avenger LH
   - Excalibur RGT
   - T-90
   - Ordos Sonic Tank
   - Stryker SAM
   - Antimatter Tank
New enemies:
   - Martian Drone
   - Martian Mech
   - Metanoid
   - Area Leade
   - Killer Android
   - Ederly Guide
   - Ophidian Champion
   - Ophidian
   - Paramilitary
   - Camouflaged Agent
   - High Councilor
   - Industrial Bot
   - American Union Soldier
   - Free Republic of California Soldier
   - Chemical Assault Trooper
   - UA571 BASS
   - Atzlan Soldier
   - Enclave Soldier
   - Sentinel Combat Bot
   - Free Cyborg
   - Plecton
   - Agency Counsellor
   - Cudgel
   - Devourer
   - Nuke Adict
   - Bear
   - Steam Fortress
   - Electrifier
   - Half-Track
   - Masticator
   - Cult of Sirius Exalted
   - Partisan Tank
   - Patrol Drone
   - Terror Alien Mech
   - AH-1 Cobra
   - Ferret Armored Car
   - MCV-100 Atlas Armored Car
   - RPM Soldier
   - Biomass Cultist
   - 122 mm SP Artillery
   - Charlemagne Battle Tank
   - New Europe Soldier
   - Cannon
   - IS Heavy Tank
   - LMR
   - Renegade Cyborg
   - Roller Tank
   - Gaussoid
   - Wild Reticulan
   - Tracker
   - Merkava MediuM Tank
   - Cultist Adept
   - Cultist Leader
   - Heavy Mortar Tank
   - Bunker
   - Military Socut Car
   - Obyekt 300 Fortress Tank
   - Rhino Heavy Destroyer Tank
   - Military Robot
   - T-72 Medium Tank
   - Explorer Buggy
   - Enclave Centurion
   - FV 102 Striker Recon Vehicle
   - TBM
   - BTR-80
   - Bionic Cyborg
   - Rocket Launcher Adapted ar
   - Industrial Mech
   - Patriot SAM Turret
   - T-34 Medium Tank
   - Machine Gun Team
   - Dragon Tank
   - Pilgrim of the Zone
   - Heavy Crusher
New Missions:
   - Ice Crusade
   - Desert Wars
   - Martian Wars
   - Raiding Crime Tower
   - Assault in Cultist Enclave
New Weapons:
   - Kora 919
   - SVDM-2
   - FT-200M
   - Ripper Shotgun
   - RPG-29 Vampir
   - Cultist Blade
   - AKM-742U
   - TRs 301
   - IL 86
   - M-240 Machine Gun
   - Saiga-12
   - Storming Obokan
   - Mac-10
   - Colt Model 653
   - FRL
   - PAE
   - ZVI Falcon Op 96
   - Steyr Aug
   - Derringer
   - HK942A
   - Muzzelite MZ-14
   - Cyborg Chaingun
   - Carl Gustav M-2
   - Valmet M-78
   - Armalite AR-18
   - MM1 Grenade Launcher
   - Auto 9 Automatic Pistol
   - HC1 Assault Pistol
   - A-295 Plasma Gun
   - DM51 Hand Grenade
   - Gunblade
   - Colt Commando CAR-15 Carbine
   - M100 Smart Gun
   - Ceremonial Knife
   - Heckler&Koch SP89
   - M41 PLR
   - Nato Battle Rifle
   - Fusion Battle Destroyer
   - Assault Gamma Eliminator
   - AKEW Disintegrator
   - Electromagnetic Pistol
   - CPBL
   - GHL
   - BRM2HB
   - Westinghouse M95A1 PPR
   - RSB-80
   - Smith&Wesson 29 Pistol
   - FIM-43 Red Eye
   - M203 PI GLH
   - Armalite AR-18

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j0p1ivcr924c8cs/The%20Endless%20War%201.15.rar

Offline Yataka Shimaoka

• Colonel
  • I'm the trouble maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 21, 2018, 04:11:43 pm »
Alright, I'm gonna take this mod again and see if I can finish it once more, the new update seems interesting

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 18, 2018, 07:59:25 pm »
Congrats on new update!

Offline efrenespartano

• Commander
  • I know a lot about the law and other lawyerings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 19, 2018, 06:02:19 am »
Hello:
New version of mod. I have removed some "sensitive" files from the OpenXcom folder. I have left the essentials for it to work. I have also introduced a list of changes made, as promised, since the last update.

I'm impressed with the inmensive amount of content. And the backstory. I liked a lot the tanks and the Mars missions.
Haha I've noticed that some of the tanks are from some mod Command & Conquer Red Alert 2 YR, are not? Otherwise, great job.

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2018, 12:09:45 pm »
Hello:
I'm glad that the mod is being well received. Soon I will make a new update. The vehicles I took from Command and Conquer, by chance, looking for sprites to create new models. I saw that one fit well, and from there, to the rest. Perhaps, the animation of the helicopter is a little strange, flying with the blades stopped  ;D. If someone knows how to create the appropriate effect, go ahead.

Offline mindbound

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2018, 12:26:58 am »
Hello:
[..]

The download link doesn't seem to work, is anyone else having this?

Offline Iron_Drakon

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 24, 2018, 11:28:52 am »
Hello:
[...]

After downloading four separate times to make sure it wasn't an issue with an incomplete download, I still can't get it working. 7zip says it can't open the file as an archive. Please fix.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2018, 12:14:58 pm »
After downloading four separate times to make sure it wasn't an issue with an incomplete download, I still can't get it working. 7zip says it can't open the file as an archive. Please fix.

I have downloaded and extracted the archive using WinRAR without any problems.
No fix required.

Offline MasterYoghourt

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 17, 2018, 10:51:05 am »
Hi !

I'm getting game crash when I'm viewing some of UFOpaedia entries, like missiles. Game cannot find sprite/graphics file.

Here's log message about problem:
[15-06-2018_22-58-23]   [FATAL]   A fatal error has occurred: Sprite UP052.SPK not found
[15-06-2018_22-58-23]   [FATAL]   Unfortunately, no stack trace information is available
[15-06-2018_22-58-27]   [FATAL]   OpenXcom has crashed: Sprite UP052.SPK not found
Extra information has been saved to openxcom.log.
If this error was unexpected, please report it to the developers.

Little investigation and I found, that entries causing crash, has got "extraSprites: > files:(filepath)" section missing in rule sets, in game/standard folder.

If it's much work to fix it, I will try to do it on my own.