aliens

Author Topic: Small suggestions  (Read 6465 times)

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Small suggestions
« on: March 26, 2017, 12:18:14 am »
Idea: Tranquilizer rifle
That thing that is commonly used to capture wild animals alive.

Why?
You are supposed to capture the strange creatures alive. You should be given the appropriate equipment.

What does this do exactly?
Does stun damage over time, so only use this on things you can run away from.
In the OXCE script thread I saw an example script for poison bullets. That script could probably be used and edited to do stun damage over time. For damage I would suggest something like 10 + currentHP*0.1 . So high HP creatures can be stunned too, but take longer than little ones. Weapon range of about 15 seems good for a start.

I don't want to open a new thread for every little idea, so I created this one to bundle them.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Small suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2017, 12:27:17 am »
I'm not against it, but it would require rethinking the entire Dart Rifle idea. Which is kinda doable, but I'm not sure how to go about it yet.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 04:34:12 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 01:23:08 pm »
Well, Dart Rifle fills this niche.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2017, 12:08:19 am »
I do suppose you could go the nitro express route with it : A lighter, cheaper, less effective version, which perhaps loads 1-3 shots at a time, with a lower fire rate. Make it so its available perhaps at promotion 1, but is 100% outclassed in all elements by the dart rifle. Besides, dart rifles are expensive to produce, so I could see this being a viable idea, having a ranged stun weapon which is otherwise completely worthless compared to the dart rifle, assuming you can afford it...

I imagine maybe it could have +50% armor, slightly higher stun than the dart rifle, low amount or lethal damage also inflicted (due to overdose risks of conventional darts) and decent accuracy, but loading only a few darts, or even 1 at a time, and being slow as balls to use and reload.

This actually also reminds me : is it possible to make a sniper version of the dart rifle? I'd gladly have more research for a more accurate, slower way to fire them, considering producing them is so damn slow and expensive. The dart rifle is handy, but its accuracy really is lacking...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2017, 12:13:04 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 03:12:28 pm »
No, I don't think darts can be more accurate over long distances. And in close to medium range they're OK.

I could think of an even crappier stun gun, but can you suggest some real life model?

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2017, 05:35:44 pm »
No, I don't think darts can be more accurate over long distances. And in close to medium range they're OK.

I could think of an even crappier stun gun, but can you suggest some real life model?
An air rifle modified to fire darts?

1 shot per clip, very, VERY slow reload due to needing to reload, and pump the gun each round, but otherwise extremely cheap and available. Air rifles are pretty simple, and you can get high power variants launching .177 pellets at 1200 fps, so I imagine it could be viable to fire a very thin dart as well, which would penetrate almost no armor, but be a viable tool.

another possibility, is having "rubber rounds" available for the shotguns, going the same way as the bat, doing both lethal and non lethal damage, so a risk of death is still very much an issue : This could help on the range front, but might be slightly op? But if it had a bleeding risk, and a hefty lethal damage hit as well, I could see it being viable, with a medic available incase a round did some nasty damage.

...Another thing to consider, is perhaps very small "manufacture" capabilities would be nice to have early , before the workshop unlocks

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:23:24 pm »
A couple of ideas which came to my mind while playing "The X-Com Files"

1) Possibility of having your transport disabled by enemy fire (or your own unlucky shot) - when a certain block in any X-Com craft is destroyed, the transport is considered disabled and the strike team cannot just dust off at will - they have either to finish the fight or to perish. And their return will be VERY long after that (on foot :) )
(should be an option - it'll make the game a veritable hell).
2) enemies purposefully targeting walls of your transport - making everyone's (well, mine at least) tactic "Let's chill out in Skymarshall" harder to use. This one can be combined with the first suggestion.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2017, 10:30:23 pm »
1) Possibility of having your transport disabled by enemy fire (or your own unlucky shot) - when a certain block in any X-Com craft is destroyed, the transport is considered disabled and the strike team cannot just dust off at will - they have either to finish the fight or to perish. And their return will be VERY long after that (on foot :) )
(should be an option - it'll make the game a veritable hell).

A nice idea, but it would probably be hard to code - with all the relationships between battle conditions and certain terrain tiles.

2) enemies purposefully targeting walls of your transport - making everyone's (well, mine at least) tactic "Let's chill out in Skymarshall" harder to use. This one can be combined with the first suggestion.

I think it's already bad enough :D

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 06:26:46 am »
No such a thing as enough X-COM masochism

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2017, 08:11:24 pm »
Also it would be an interesting idea to have enemy medics heal and revive their comrades - and an interesting tactic of luring out more enemies.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2017, 12:16:54 am »
Can you allow the Jumpsuit for infiltrations?  Right now the best infiltration armor is the leather coat, which is extremely thin for what you'll face in EXALT HQ.  The jumpsuit would be a decent upgrade, and it could still fit with the agents posing as janitors or mechanics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2017, 03:09:15 pm »
Also it would be an interesting idea to have enemy medics heal and revive their comrades - and an interesting tactic of luring out more enemies.

Yes, it would. :)

Can you allow the Jumpsuit for infiltrations?  Right now the best infiltration armor is the leather coat, which is extremely thin for what you'll face in EXALT HQ.  The jumpsuit would be a decent upgrade, and it could still fit with the agents posing as janitors or mechanics.

I'd love to give the Jumpsuit more love, but isn't it way too obviously military? With X-Com insignia to boot?

Besides, it would destroy the "badass in suits" effect in some other missions.

I'd rather like to have some new missions, where you paradrop to the site instead of landing and can't carry either armours or heavy weapons (but rifles are okay). I don't have good ideas though - suggestions appreciated.

Offline zetzet13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2017, 05:13:53 pm »

I'd rather like to have some new missions, where you paradrop to the site instead of landing and can't carry either armours or heavy weapons (but rifles are okay). I don't have good ideas though - suggestions appreciated.

Maybe you could add something like a base in some crater.
Maybe some faction wants to make a volcano active to appease some god/destroy a city/make a really big smoke signal for our new alien overlords.

You could also go the "Lost Valley" route with lots of strange lifeforms/dinosaurs/etc.
Maybe a government has lost contact to a research team and you have to get them out revealing some sort of sub plot.

Or some unnamed official from Xcom had to crash land in an active war zone and you have to extract that person.
Here is a list of wars that happened or started in the 1990s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_1990%E2%80%932002

One of your randomly chosen soldiers was on vacation and finds him/herself kidnapped.

All of these could be some sort of mini campaign with several levels.

From a gameplay perspective it would add several things.
When going with the secret route, you would first have to investigate. Maybe you could give dossiers some new meaning with this.

The missions themselves would be some sort of endurance match.
You would have to carefully choose the loadout and then be economical over the mission/levels.
You would also need to scavange whatever you find.

Depending on what scenario is chosen the player would also have some new enemies to fight.

When the mission is complete you could get an artifact or money, decrease a faction's influence, increase Xcom's standing with a nation.

I... I don't know man. I'm just throwing ideas here.
The address you once gave for people to donate does not work btw.  ;D

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2017, 09:24:49 pm »
I'd love to give the Jumpsuit more love, but isn't it way too obviously military? With X-Com insignia to boot?

Besides, it would destroy the "badass in suits" effect in some other missions.

There could be a variant of the jumpsuit with the patches removed, that triggers in infiltrations like camo patterns in different environments.  If you want to keep suits, there could be an option for Durathread suits.  It's just that I feel like enemies are always popping out from unexpected spots and getting in potshots that cripple or kill my agents.  It's possible I'm just used to Piratez, since the gals are a bit hardier than agents.