Author Topic: openxcom3D  (Read 6695 times)

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
openxcom3D
« on: August 04, 2012, 01:14:01 pm »
Isn't it april 1st yet? Damn, otherwise I could trick the people saying that the 3D version of the battlescape is starting to work:

(credits to Kaki for the model)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: openxcom3D
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »
maybe its just me but , it doesn't have the same CHARM the old pixels do.

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 02:06:20 pm »
I think thathaving 3D battlescapewould be nice, but mainly because of these reasons:
- we could view the game in all four isometrical directions (it is sometimes handy)
- we could get rid of the NE/SW wall problems
- there could be nice realistic shadows

Sadly I have to agree that pixels are nicer. Is it even possible to have nice pixels with 3D?

Volutar

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 02:26:03 pm »
Nice pixels in 3d? doubt it. In drawn graphcics we have pixel-precise crisp graphics, and in 3d we have alot of issues which makes that very difficult to achieve.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 05:29:05 pm »
maybe its just me but , it doesn't have the same CHARM the old pixels do.
I think it's because the graphics look very "blurry". The bobblehead-sectoids do amuse me though. :P

Offline Tentaculars

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 05:57:39 pm »
Graphics in the pixelated lowREs  left alot of space for imagination. The higher the resolution is the more overall detail/design will influence the visual atmosphere. The alien simply looks to cute and not dangerous at all. Still this is a nice idea.

I would prefer a 3D-environment. Realtimelightning/shadows would for sure fit well with the Xcom's field of view. Although limits of the very old engine simply would be gone.

You do not need to use every possibility 3D offers you just because 3D is capable to do it (ego perspektive, free camera movement etc).
If it does not go along with the game's phisolophie/feeling simply dont use it at all.
You can still have nice pixelated looks in 3D - simply set the resolution to 320x200 :D

Offline michal

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 06:37:10 pm »
Daiky, when we will see first build? :D

Volutar

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 06:59:29 pm »
I like 3D openxcom which will look like on screenshot. Cartoon-like proportion of creature is charming, as familiar textures of ufo walls.
I don't like if it will overuse possibilities of 3D, like camera free-flying. I think it should use 3D very accurate, to keep whole design and style consistent and solid.
Though, fake-occlution shading I prefer more, than real-shading (it makes battlefield appearing like a chessboard). Also although I don't like "shaders" much, I'd like to see "neat" shaders, on the water, glass or metallic objects. It will grow feeling of "solidness" and reality of battlescape environment.
So I think there should be "toyness" design, a balance between "reality" and "cartoon".

Offline Amunak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
    • My homepage (czech only)
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 12:10:59 am »
I'm just thinking about this real 3D. Can we use 3D to make nice effects (shades, shaders, reflections) and the isometric view rotation (but no freecam!) and possibly keep pixelated graphics? I don't mean the original (where would all fancy effects pointless) but if the game resolution was twoo or three times greater, it might already look nice, but keeping the good original look and feel.

Offline Daiky

• Battlescape Programmer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 02:39:39 am »
Just to make it clear, it's just a 3D model, from a guy named kaki. You can download it here and play with it in blender: https://www.blendswap.com/blends/game-engine/x-com-large-scout/

I thought the sectoid was cute :) I can imagine him holding his blaster launcher gun, which is even bigger than himself.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 02:45:29 am by Daiky »