Author Topic: Having Trouble Getting The Latest Version Of The Nightlies To Run (3-12-17)  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
[RESOLVED ... I think]

I downloaded the zip file and extracted the files as I normally do without problem, but when I try to run OXC my anti-virus tries to block me saying that the file "might be dangerous" which never happens when I use OXC. I then clicked "I trust this file" to run it anyway, but I get a Windows error message saying "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the item"

I tried to run it as administrator, but the same thing happened. I reverted back to the previous version of the Nightlies (3-3) and played no problem as always so it's something different with this version.

Anyone else having this problem or know how I can fix it? Thanks.

UPDATE: Apparently it was my antivirus blocking it. Hours later I got a popup saying that it had checked the application and it was clean. Weird though that this never happened before though, so don't know what changed. I also don't know why I couldn't run it even when I clicked "I trust this file," but anyway I'm all good for now.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 01:37:00 pm by Countdown »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Are you using Avast per chance? It's been getting really paranoid recently, I had to disable it on the openxcom folder entirely.

It should warn you straight away though, not only after a few hours, when it's done checking.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Yes I do use Avast, good call. It did warn me straight away with the "might be dangerous" message, it just didn't finish "checking" until hours later. Are you saying it should check faster than that?

And thanks for the tip, I'll disable it on my OXC folder as well if it's going to be a consistent issue. I was about to say that it's weird that it never affected me before now, but come to think of it I did just download an Avast update this week, so that must be what changed.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Yes I do use Avast, good call. It did warn me straight away with the "might be dangerous" message, it just didn't finish "checking" until hours later. Are you saying it should check faster than that?

Not exactly, I meant that it should tell you straight away "this file looks suspicious, I'm not letting you run it before I do a thorough check".

And it should also add "You can override it manually, but I'm going to give a flying fuck about it". Which is why I excluded the entire folder from Avast control.