Author Topic: Audio option to mute game in background  (Read 3968 times)

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Audio option to mute game in background
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:02:58 am »
It seems there is no option to mute the game (or even suspend/pause it outright) when it is not the focus.   It's a bit annoying to not be able to switch away to my desktop to do other things, and still have the music playing endlessly.

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Audio option to mute game in background
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 02:24:10 am »
Any chance of getting this implemented?   It doesn't seem like a difficult feature to add, and it would be much appreciated.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 02:04:04 pm »
i can look into it

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 07:33:28 pm »
Thanks.   I prefer to keep the music on when I'm playing because I have such fond memories of hearing it while staring at my 15" CRT at 3am in 1994.   I could go into audio options and turn it on/off when I'm switching between the game and desktop, but "warts" like that kill some of the enjoyment of the game.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2017, 04:42:15 pm »
try as i might, i'm unable to reliably detect application focus state changes, despite SDL having facilities for it. i was able to make it mute when keyboard focus was lost (ie: switching application focus) but detecting when focus is restored doesn't seem to work.

Offline TKO

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 03:14:44 am »
Is it the kind of thing that could have a hot-key?  eg: CTRL+M to toggle music on/off?

I too love playing the music, but would like an option to easily switch it off an put on some 'normal' music when my wife starts to tire of it.  (Yeah, I don't get why anyone would tire of that cool soundtrack either .. but she does.)  *sigh* 

Note: I have it playing either the excellent Amiga or PSX music.  I never was a fan of that midi tune, but I heard the Amiga soundtrack so so so much back in the day that is has huge nostalgia value for me.

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 01:12:52 pm »
Yes, I was going to suggest CTRL-M as well.   It's not as good as having it mute in the background, but it does greatly reduce the hassle.

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2017, 04:40:01 am »
I don't know if it is already in the game, but I'm thinking CTRL-S to mute all sound and CTRL-M to mute only the music would make a lot of sense.