Author Topic: Help me git gud, question thread  (Read 77943 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Out of stuff to research
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2017, 11:46:52 pm »
From my perspective your trying to play like a sneaky rogue while wearing plate armor. IF your trying to be sneaky and use hatches and LOS camping your better off with light armor with TU accuracy and reaction buffs. Heavy armor makes you easier to hit, denoted by large and X-large notations in the bootypedia articles.

IMO armor in this game only serves to limit casualties and make weaker foes easy to clear. Expecting it to preserve you against even half the content is wishful thinking. Any weapon in the game with 60-90(depending on dmg range) base damage can penetrate any protection you can give your gals. 95-100+ range stuff can oneshot even the highest hp gal in the best armor.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 15, 2017, 01:04:11 am »
Just to add to the continuous crackdown problems - other than the potential monthly crackdown starting in year 3, every ship you shoot down has the potential of spawning a crackdown mission - either in the region the ship was shot down or in the region that the interceptor hailed from.

So, in essence, you can 'control' where all the non-monthly crackdowns can spawn.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2017, 01:06:32 am »
snip:
 ".....every ship you shoot down has the potential of spawning a crackdown mission - either in the region the ship was shot down or in the region that the interceptor hailed from."

*except those already on a Crackdown mission.  (Just making that clear)

Edit:  actually, that is worth a ruleset dive.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2017, 01:08:03 am »
That is correct (I checked)

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 15, 2017, 01:09:17 am »
So does the monthly crackdown only target my HQ?

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 15, 2017, 01:10:06 am »
No, the region it selects is completely random.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Help me git gud, question thread
« Reply #81 on: March 15, 2017, 04:23:19 pm »
Thankyou. I'll have to get my fleet ready fast then!

Just working on my third nightmare. The tank Kraken is ready. Also had a star god progrom that didnt have any sectopods, got a star god guardian captive and a cyclops captive out of that, plus some corpses

I think I'll create 3 more nightmares. I'll have 3 equipped with lascannons and thrusters, and 3 equipped with lascannons and 105RL missiles. The missile ones can help take down the crackdown ships, while the thruster ones can be for smaller craft hunting.

I seem to be gated by merc captures now. Sadly they can kill people but I don't think I can do much about that, the training facility is operational now so I'll just have to sacrifice some lives to make captures. I've got VooDoo schools and some wands of bliss and I'm gonna try and train my high voodoo soldiers on civilians to try and help with merc captures

I'll also try and wipe out the current alien bases in the hopes it will cause the mercs to set up a base and allow me to encounter them more frequently. It won't exactly be safe, but I've got plenty of elites in good armour, 150M in the bank and 18 troops training so I can sacrifice them

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 15, 2017, 05:14:42 pm »
105 mm rockets are not a missile weapon, but take a heavy slot last I remember.  Also if that's really a battleship you're chasing down, you're going to need something a lot better than 105 mm rockets and lascannons.  Hammermites at the very least for the Nightmares, Avalanches would be even better.  The lascannons will also be worthless once a battleship's shield is down, but not much you can do to that armor anyways with light weapons.  If it's not a battleship, Hammermites are fine for large/very large, I'd use Stingrays or Lancers for anything smaller.  And I hope you have some better heavy weapons than the 105 mm rockets for your Kraken...

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 15, 2017, 07:08:16 pm »
Hmm, I have access to hammermites and avalanche missiles. The focusing crystals could be hard to get if I want to keep making a lot of them though, as I'm reliant on stuff I loot off the battlefield for that

I have some gauss cannons for the light slots, but until I capture some mercenaries I can't replace the ammunition for it. I'll put them on my battleship hunters and hopefully I wont run out of ammo before I can replicate them. I only have 3 gauss cannons so I'm gonna have to raid more ships to completely give my battleship hunters gauss cannons

My Kraken is equipped with armor plating, a heavy shield generator and a 105MM rocket launcher. I didn't fuss much over heavy weapons since it's role is to tank. Can I put 2 heavy shield generators on it?

Will attacking landed UFOs still cause a crackdown, or do crackdowns only happen from shooting down ships?

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 15, 2017, 09:33:23 pm »
I think shooting is required for those crackdowns, the attack allows a mayday to be sent, I guess the ground assault is too fast for that.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 15, 2017, 10:12:09 pm »
The focusing crystals aren't too hard to come by, you just need to grab a couple laser rifles for disassembly.  I found that I always had plenty once I could start pulling apart laser weapons.

A naval gun is still a good idea on the Kraken, but two shield generators is certainly possible for greater shields.  I'd do away with the armor plating for the second shield generator though, extra armor isn't going to do much against the power of a battleship's gun, and more shields are always better than more damage capacity, since it's repaired after only an hour at base.

Only shooting down a ship causes crackdowns.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 15, 2017, 11:10:14 pm »
I can't get naval guns til I interrogate a mercenary sadly. I'll give it 3 shield generators, and swap one out for a naval gun when I can

I'm out of stuff to research again. Gotta wait for those mercs :/
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 11:37:27 pm by KiriKaneko »

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
I have naval guns and I don't think I've even seen a mercenary ship yet. Only just seen reticulans. I might have got lucky with interrogations or data disks, mind.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2017, 02:08:12 am »
I looked on the tech tree, and it seems I need recoilless rifle, not gauss to unlock naval gun. Sadly I haven't found a recoilless rifle and I have no idea where to look for one

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2017, 03:18:36 am »
Raiders and raider gunships are a good place to start, some pogroms might have one as well.