Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033496 times)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1065 on: April 20, 2018, 02:54:12 pm »
Do you mean cyberdiscs? Big, 2x2 tan disc that reaction-fires your units to ash? If so then yes, they are resistant to firearms in general plus have some decent armor and good HP.  I suggest more lasers, powerful explosives, or fire. If it's a different enemy, it depends, but explosives and fire probably still work.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1066 on: April 20, 2018, 03:57:38 pm »
Around 3 'flying disks' come to mind for me.
1.) Academy drone (1x1 unit) Has good armor but only 5HP and low powered laser without good aim.
2.) Cyberdisk (2x2 unit) Good armor and explodes once destroyed by most types of damage. Shots green(?) blobs that do massive plasma damage.
3.) Hovertank Gauss (2x2 unit) Even more armor and high aim. Shoots gauss-bullets that do huge piercing damage.

Offline Shaewaros

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: April 20, 2018, 04:08:39 pm »
It was the Academy drone. I loaded the game and this time it died with one reaction shot from a laser pistol! So I was just really unlucky the first time. :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1068 on: April 20, 2018, 05:28:23 pm »
Lasers ignore a portion of the armour. So it's probably not just luck. ;)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1069 on: April 20, 2018, 08:13:07 pm »
It definitely has a chance (possibly 100%, can't remember) to spawn an orb.

Can confirm its not 100%.  ;)  I've done two of these and no orbs.  I actually never gotten an orb in any of my campaigns, ever.  But I keep trying the sea missions, hoping. 

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: April 20, 2018, 08:44:04 pm »
What causes Viper Fighers to appear?

Never seen one.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: April 20, 2018, 08:47:57 pm »
Must be caused by playtime or something. Got my first viper the month after patching mid-campaign. Patched April 2062 and got the vipers spawning several times a month from mai 2602 onwards.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: April 20, 2018, 09:53:52 pm »
Is it now possible for the laboratory to have two version: unpowered and powered?  Unpowered would be unable to do computer related researches, likely cost a WHOLE lot less to maintain, and I suspect would be able to support fewer Brainers, while powered is the version we currently have.  I know we can upgrade buildings now, after all.  I imagine the upgrade wouldn't be too hard, it's literally just plugging the computer in, isn't it? One Runt could probably do that in an hour, right?

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1073 on: April 20, 2018, 11:16:45 pm »
What's a guideline for when to build a 2nd or 3rd base, and what do people usually specialize in? Covering the globe in radar and interception seems like a very low priority compared to just making money.

Similarly, what's a good base defense strategy? Can I get away with peasants with ak47s and guard dogs? If a base is used as a production backwater, does it still get targeted by retaliation?

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:32 pm »
I think building a second base as soon as you get large vaults is a good idea. You need a place to store your stockpiles of soylent, apples, scrap metal and courtesans. And if you start intercepting you'll have even more garbage.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1075 on: April 20, 2018, 11:45:15 pm »
@bouchacha:
I usually like to get my second base going once I've filled out the brainer ranks in the first base.  As soon as you can make barracks and workshops, its time to get stills up in a couple bases to start making cash from Grog and Apples.  I let the runts at the first base continue supporting operations with guns, ammo, armor, prisoner processing etc, and when they are idle making cash.  The 2nd and 3rd bases are definitely placed with an eye to radar coverage, and I like to keep them within electric vehicle range of the main base so the strike team there can prosecute any contacts generated by the other radars.  Once these bases are making cash, I'll start expanding my global coverage, targeting the remaining land masses and finally the poles.   4th or 5th base will also become a manufactury with the goal of having a Factory there, and probably Printers in my earlier two.  Sometimes both.  I'll build a couple of the bases out as interceptor bases with 5+ hangars, and trained pilots (firing accuracy, reactions, and high bravery (90-100 if possible)) with low voodoo strength.

I think building a second base as soon as you get large vaults is a good idea. You need a place to store your stockpiles of soylent, apples, scrap metal and courtesans. And if you start intercepting you'll have even more garbage.

Personally, I never get large vaults.  Early game, I get a vault in every base I have, then make up storage with workers.  Hanging onto bulky items is not worth the effort (can be purchased easilly).  By late game aside from an Armored Vault or two, almost all my storage is provided by Slaves, Farmhouses, and Servitors.  Most of my bases have negative space.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: April 21, 2018, 02:51:58 am »
I've got a quick question about the mission "They Came From the Sea"... I know it's a B-rank mission for Jack, but I don't notice it drop any loot or anything that actually generates any trophies or Jack bounty tokens. Is there some other mechanism for reward that I'm not noticing in regards to Jack tokens for this mission?

The actual enemies that carry the tokens don't spawn due to the massive number of all the other enemies.  I thought that's been fixed already.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1077 on: April 21, 2018, 04:15:40 am »
The actual enemies that carry the tokens don't spawn due to the massive number of all the other enemies.  I thought that's been fixed already.

Heh.  didn't know that !

Offline XCOMJunkie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1078 on: April 21, 2018, 05:23:43 am »
Yeah, I didn't know that either. Hope that gets fixed, definitely have a use for more Jack tokens now that we can buy gems.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: April 21, 2018, 07:20:53 am »
What does the range on the ship stat screen mean? The Scorpion just became available to me but I noticed the range is "60" which seems ridiculously short.