Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033956 times)

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1005 on: April 10, 2018, 11:13:54 am »
What's the recommended difficulty level if you want a challenge but not play this for 300 hours? I've been watching starving poet's LP and this mod looks amazing but I definitely don't have the commitment for a 300 hour playthrough. At the same time, I don't want to start curb stomping everyone after a few months of well executed missions.

I beat the original XCOM on ironman superhuman a couple of times but it's also rather easy if you know how to metagame the campaign. I don't anticipate that this mod is as simple to cheese.

Should I just pick the middle difficulty and then change it later?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: April 10, 2018, 11:20:04 am »
Pick the middle one and edit it later.
Like vanilla, on Jack Sparrow (Superhuman) enemies are tougher, deadlier and also larger in numbers.

The Jack Sparrow difficulty also leaves you about 16 months to prepare for the toughest factions like Stargods (Ethereals) and Mercenaries (Mutons).
It keeps cycling around with the most active enemy faction each month but as a first-time experience the middle one is green to go.

Early game is tough on all difficulties, most challenging on superhuman ofc.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: April 10, 2018, 11:47:02 am »
I just realized magical girls are not much different from tasoths and likely based upon similar technology.

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: April 10, 2018, 07:29:43 pm »
Love the addition of peasants as an early game challenge and a way to save money. How do you get better outfits for them? I clicked around for a bit in tech tree and couldn't find anything.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: April 11, 2018, 11:16:02 am »
What research unlocks being able to build barracks?

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: April 11, 2018, 06:03:18 pm »
Love the addition of peasants as an early game challenge and a way to save money. How do you get better outfits for them? I clicked around for a bit in tech tree and couldn't find anything.

I think we should wait for next version

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: April 11, 2018, 07:52:49 pm »
You can squeeze them into a space suit and a loader suit so far.
They can't keep up with the ubers but cost a mere 5k to bridge shortage of soldiers early on.
No longterm solution.

Offline bouchacha

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: April 11, 2018, 08:16:40 pm »
I have the latest version but I can't build barracks. Is this a bug or am I missing some obvious research? The entry is unlocked in Bootypedia but it doesn't show up as an option under Expand. At least burrows are available though not ideal.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1013 on: April 11, 2018, 08:36:23 pm »
I have the latest version but I can't build barracks. Is this a bug or am I missing some obvious research? The entry is unlocked in Bootypedia but it doesn't show up as an option under Expand. At least burrows are available though not ideal.

You need "Contacts: Builders' Hall" to construct Barracks.  The entry is unlocked because you have one in your starting base.   Early on, build more burrows to expand your staff, then sell them later.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: April 11, 2018, 09:52:31 pm »
You've to keep at least one burrow to keep your parrots, dogs and other captured/auxillary animals later on.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #1015 on: April 11, 2018, 11:01:13 pm »
I actually like to keep a burrow in almost all my bases just for base defense.  The floor plan is open and is a spawn spot for 2x2 units like Reapers/Mutie Reapers and tanks.  Of course its also needed for Werewolves, Dogs, and Parrots.  I usually have it close to a hangar or other access point.  I also has a completely blocked Air Vent top level, which should be taken into consideration when planning base defense layouts.  It also is a stores spawn location so extra ammo, weapons, etc can be found there often.  For this reason take care with explosives in the facility.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: April 12, 2018, 10:33:08 am »
Fun thing is:
You can hire/train dogs/werewolves in a base without a burrow.

You can assign the units to the craft as aux-units and all but once the mission is done, the game suddenly warns you that the base doesn't have enough space to hold them anymore. You either sell the excess dogs/wolves now or ship them to a base that has a burrow installed.

If you ask how this is possible to get:
You can train a savage werewolf as usual with a burrow installed and such.
Assign the werewolf to any craft that can hold an aux-unit.
Erase the burrow -> Do a mission with the werewolf on board -> Error message will trigger @ mission debriefing
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:45:01 am by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline sanyaskillpro

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: April 12, 2018, 11:15:13 am »
You can squeeze them into a space suit and a loader suit so far.
They can't keep up with the ubers but cost a mere 5k to bridge shortage of soldiers early on.
No longterm solution.
That's sad. Although running around naked with a spear is surprisingly effective. I didn't even realise before how OP the spear is if a peasant with 30's in stats can reliably get kills with it. Decent base damage with 20% ARP and 160% accuracy, that's insane.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: April 12, 2018, 12:26:40 pm »
I didn't even realise before how OP the spear is if a peasant with 30's in stats can reliably get kills with it.

Just like in real life.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #1019 on: April 13, 2018, 12:42:54 am »
That is why spears and pikes were actually the most popularly used weapons in ancient and medieval wars. Didn't take much training to make a soldier effective in a group, but damn was it ever effective! Hammers and axes were right behind basic polearms.