aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1052669 times)

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #930 on: March 16, 2018, 09:29:14 pm »
There is a setting that allows savescum, with it off, assuming you do the same thing, the same things will happen, with it on, savescum happens.  I think it's off by default, though

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:11 pm »
RNG the map until I can get the loot? Like manipulating mansions to have 2x treasure chest?
Nah thanks not for me :3

Offline anonynamja

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 19, 2018, 08:56:47 am »
I'm not talking about piratez without guns.

Stuff like X-Com in the medieval age where black powder has to be invented first.

Battle Brothers

but there's basically no strategic layer, and the sandbox isn't very deep

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 19, 2018, 04:40:54 pm »
Any tips how to abuse Shadowbat's darkness (under wings)?

If I use Camo Paint on my Gals and hide in darkness (under wings) durning day mission - Will enemy use their Day or Night Vision range? Will Cano Girls use their Day or Night Camo value?
Is there any source of information how effective darknes combined with camouflage can be?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 19, 2018, 04:50:06 pm »
If it's during the day, you will only ever use day values, shadows are just cosmetic.  To get night vision advantage, it has to be at night and your gal has to be in darkness.  The pedia articles with armors that have camo list the value as CAMO: camo at day/camo at night.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 19, 2018, 10:27:01 pm »
Camo in night missions can be very good. There is just one thing to watch out for: light sources.

Most humans have night vision of 9, so even small night camo values do a lot. However, if your gal is illuminated even a tiny bit, day sight range and day camo is used. Things that can spoil the fun:
- dropped computers. You melee a guy that had a computer in the inventory. In the inventory it gives no light, but once on the ground it is a tiny light source. Suddenly your gal can be seen from the other end of the map...
- the bushes in iron forest. They are a light source in a tileset that is extremely dark. You will most likely not know you are standing in light. You will find out only when things start shooting your gals...

What I do on night missions:
Have a magna lite in the quickdraw slot. Only take it out to spot for enemies, then put it back in to kill the light. You should know that you suffer 50% accuracy vs targets out of your vision range. So if you want to shoot a distant target in a night mission, you need to light it up.
Pro tip when still using airbus or similar: have the gal with the magna lite stand around the corner of your ship. Then you have a zone of shadow you can savely shoot from. See pictures.
Note: this only works if you don't have any surplus magna lites laying on the floor of your craft. Pack accordingly.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 10:33:07 pm by Eddie »

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 20, 2018, 12:00:22 am »
So I just broke and interrogated a guildmaster and he gave me some Cydonia Codes, but they're marked [Irg.]. I assume this means Irregular and that they're therefore useless. The tech viewer claims the actual codes item is literally an item. Where do I find this?

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 20, 2018, 01:11:01 am »
It's just internal name weirdness, the codes should still work for getting to the final mission.

Offline sleekie

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 20, 2018, 03:37:31 am »
It's just internal name weirdness, the codes should still work for getting to the final mission.
Yeah, I figured that out after a while. I don't get why that one code is special-cased, but if it works, it works I guess.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 20, 2018, 10:46:40 am »
Turning the codes into an item (lootable in battlescape) could be nice. Would reduce some stress and casualties to capture ViPs.
By doing this we could go to mars even without any understandings for the annihilator-armor, forcefields, voodoo and exotic tech gained from the stargods.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #940 on: March 20, 2018, 11:35:33 am »
Turning the codes into an item (lootable in battlescape) could be nice. Would reduce some stress and casualties to capture ViPs.
By doing this we could go to mars even without any understandings for the annihilator-armor, forcefields, voodoo and exotic tech gained from the stargods.

And how exactly is this a good idea...?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 20, 2018, 01:36:21 pm »
It's not. It's for speedruns.
The sole reason to 'guarantee' the codes is for the situation that you only need 1 out of 4 ViPs but don't need the tech granted by the interrogation.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 20, 2018, 02:38:50 pm »
It's not. It's for speedruns.

A speedrun. Of PirateZ.

You should seriously consider doing less drugs.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: March 20, 2018, 03:16:55 pm »
That was a joke ;)
Doing such thing would require massive manipulation of mission schedule, research times and overall battlescape RNG.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 20, 2018, 06:04:13 pm »
Yeah, I figured that out after a while. I don't get why that one code is special-cased, but if it works, it works I guess.
Irg. is short for "Interrogation". You can also get the guild codes from the Bank Robbery mission, thus the need for two different research topics.