aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1063806 times)

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #915 on: March 14, 2018, 12:56:36 pm »
Would anyone play this game with a mod that removes all guns and focuses on hand-to-hand combat with bows/x-bows and throwable spears/axes the only exceptions?
Maybe magic?

It will be a very poor game because melee is the weak point of the AI. Have you not read all the comments about chyssalids not beeing dangerous enough? Thats basically an AI issue.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 14, 2018, 01:09:32 pm »
I didn't and I'm a simple nerd with a job that had a vague idea.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #917 on: March 14, 2018, 01:19:32 pm »
This is really by far the wrong engine for that kind of idea. After all, what happens . . . you set up you castle, and start recruiting your army, responding to threats against your growing kingdom . . .that just so happen to crop up all around the planet from the very start?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 14, 2018, 01:22:03 pm »
I see the questions left unanswered. Sorry for bothering.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 14, 2018, 04:19:32 pm »
Would anyone play this game with a mod that removes all guns and focuses on hand-to-hand combat with bows/x-bows and throwable spears/axes the only exceptions?
Maybe magic?

Ok. If you are talking about make a game like that with this engine, well, it is something I thought some time ago. The thing is.... As say before by KZad, yes, It is maybe the wrong engine. But because of the geoscape. The battlescape can offer interesting possibilities.

If you are talking about modding Xpiratez so you don't use guns.... well... it is going to be a "even harder mode", It can be an interesting challenge. The justification.... gals are fanatic zealot with an oath not to use powder or laser or plasma guns.

But I like to use firearms XD.

There are several ideas that maybe can work. But it is going to be a little complicate.

Offline khade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 16, 2018, 04:35:39 am »
Early tech mods could work, or early eras, though they'd need enough tweaking that it would make Piratez look like a simple mod, I think.  If you can limit the geoscape to show 'here be dragons' in areas that you physically can't get to, you could try to pull off a knight vs alien story, though lore-wise, why are they attacking the heavily defended keep and not the many many guys with horses and tents over thataway?

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:22 am »
Shadowtech modules can be only mounted to Shadowbat/Jellyfish/Drill related crafts? Or there any other later on?

I'm asking because unlocking those extra modules take some time and tech progress so I've already use Fortuna and there is a slim chance that I will use my once loved Jellyfish.

How do you get Shadow Orbs to unlock more modules? Are those Shadow Orb modules worth it?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 16, 2018, 09:36:06 am »
Those modules are only found during 'disruptive transmission' space missions fighting against t-100 killer droids.
The droprate is EXTREMELY low but you need those droids (dead or alive) to build EMP-Grenades later on.

The only reliable STC-slot you'll find every playthrough is the reticulian engine that boosts your battery ships (with free STC slots) with additional 750 speed/slot.
Useful midgame after you fought some reticulans but ultimately too slow once you can build nightmares (hunter killer v3.0) and brave whaler (your first missile bomber).

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 16, 2018, 02:12:01 pm »
A little bit stupid but - how not to savescum ?  ;D

I hope to restart after new relase and with knowledge gathered durning current play I can try not to savescum too much. Ironmode isn't an option because of potential bugs.
Ahh, and by savescuming I understand not to loose starting Lunatics. I dont care much about later hired Gals or units.

I think I will - khem cheat - and edit rulset to give Lunatics +20 HP to minimum starting roll without touching max HP.

The best scenario would be to be able to hire meat shields from the beginning of the game but so far it is not an option.

Any hints?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 16, 2018, 02:32:00 pm »
Iron(wo)man mode regardless.
If bugs happen, do 'debug mode' or skip mission.

Not even iron(wo)man mode is save-scum proof since you could alt-f4 your game before the autosave happens.
Also you can copy your save-file and just replace it if you feel cheated.

Unless you twitch Let's play it you can fuck around with the save and game as you freakin' please.
It's meant to be 'fun' in the end and sometimes it's just hard and unforgiving but never game- or campaign breaking without proper tools available to solve the issues.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 16, 2018, 04:36:46 pm »
I wíonder if we finally get the long promised minor stat bonuses from awards in the upcoming version.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 16, 2018, 05:06:19 pm »
Only if it increases the actual stat-cap and not just adds +X onto the current value. Otherwise it would be just a different way to max-out faster.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #927 on: March 16, 2018, 05:47:21 pm »
And oh god, the things you really need you'll max out pretty quick anyway.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 16, 2018, 08:22:43 pm »
How do you get Shadow Orbs to unlock more modules? Are those Shadow Orb modules worth it?
Disruptive Transmissions, Mage Tower, Sunken Treasure (underwater mission) and

Hell Cruise (Jack bounty mission): Shadow Orb of Alacrity
Disruptive Transmissions: Shadow Orb of Ethyr, Shadow Orb of Alacrity, Shadow Orb of Mind, Shadow Orb of Blood, Shadow Orb of Stasis
Mysterious Tower (Mage bounty mission): Shadow Orb of Ethyr

Scarab + Ethyr Drive X = pure awesome, by the way. Almost as fast as a Nightmare, but tougher and with two heavy weapon slots as well as a light one to obliterate your enemies.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 16, 2018, 09:10:08 pm »
I swear those things simply don't spawn for me at all and I use explosives very scarcely once I can just gun 'em down.
Darn RNG loot.
Also can't have scarap, have grey codex this time.