aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033394 times)

Offline Darkfirephoenix

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #870 on: February 18, 2018, 09:28:53 pm »
See attachment. Hit the switch on the top-left of the window to 'shadow' a ship.

You get mechtoids from the biggest reticulan shipping and during reticulan bunker mission (probe).
I guess you did boned yourself with getting "Contacts: Reticulans" before you could finish all individual topics such as mechtoid and mechtoid corpse.
Somewhere is a fix for that.

To get 'secure freight' you've to research the topic: "Heavy Freighter Flight Plan"

To get this topic, you've to read Heavy Freighter Documentation first.
Hmmm, strange... the game didn't allow me to minimize it...

That Mechtoid thing sounds like a bug/oversight on the dev side (it should at least give another way to get em, maybe buying one AFTER the "Contact:Reticulans" is finished).

And lastly: Oh boy! So I have to deal with a heavy freighter!... They usually take donw my ships, tho I think now that I can engage it with multiple ships at a time I can manage it.

That Mechtoid thing really bugs me tho... It doesn't even WARN you about "If you research Contact: Reticulans you won't see anymore Reticulan missions/get chances to capture tech/people from them!"... I'm in year 4 already and I think I got that Reticulan screwup in year 2! sigh Well, then back to the grind it is!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 09:31:10 pm by Darkfirephoenix »

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: February 18, 2018, 09:37:07 pm »
Somewhere it should be possible to just 'add' the research topics to your save.

It was mentioned before and will be fixed in the next update.
You can't minimize the window unless your ship is set onto 'shadow ship'

All other modes (long range, full broadsite, ramming speed) counts as attack and doesn't allow you to minimize.

To gun down a heavy freighter, you need decent guns to bypass the shield and armor.

KZad Bhat

« Reply #872 on: February 19, 2018, 03:47:41 am »
The Heavy Freighter is also the time you want to use multiple interceptors. The method I've found I prefer is your heaviest and toughest fighter and 3 M-Wings. When all 4 are on it, send up the heavy fighter for the attack, with the M-Wings following, and the ship keeps attacking your heavy craft that can take the beating. Especially effective if you have the Rail Cannon on the heavy ship.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: February 19, 2018, 11:32:39 am »
Even your menace-class ship can tank the freighter.
All you need is firepower to get the shield and armor down.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: February 19, 2018, 12:29:27 pm »
I think ramjet cannon is enough to take it.

Offline Labraid

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #875 on: February 19, 2018, 02:46:32 pm »
I think ramjet cannon is enough to take it.

I bet you are reffering to standard freighter. Heavy one is a hard nut to crack mid-late game even on standard difficulty, as you will surely find out once you make The Guild ramp up their efforts.
Either that or you are a priseworthy masochist. (although I envy your determination if that's the case)

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: February 19, 2018, 02:50:06 pm »
1 tankship with a heavy weapon (ramjet can work, naval gun is just better)
3 Damage dealers fueled with your best rockets and best light weaponry. This should do it.
It got no regenerating shield so once the shield is down you don't lose further firepower.

Offline vortex

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:09 am »
Thanks Ethereal_Medic for the answer on Workers.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: February 20, 2018, 10:27:47 am »
Thanks Ethereal_Medic for the answer on Workers.

Not me, it was "cc" that explained the worker-situation.
I can only support the opinion. Early one large vaults are the most cost-efficient solution mixed with large barracks and 1 burrow for most bases.
Once you've 3-4 flourishing production bases (means 3-4 bases entirely focused on producing shit for auto-sell like x-grog or chemicals) you can start to hire workers and replay ALL vaults with them.
Even the slot for an 'armored vault' can be used alot more efficient by placing either a luxury barracks or another workshop on that slot.
Vaultspace can be supported either with improving your slaves (Farmhouse, Supermaid, Drone Herder, Slave Robots in general) and workers.

Having an army of slaves is without doubt the best source of creating 'vaultspace' and each slave-class individually reduces your monthly upkeep to pay the salaries and maintaince costs.
Don't worry, you can reduce your vaultspace to -6000 and more and the game will not crash.

Offline mamix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: February 20, 2018, 06:44:38 pm »
Enjoying the mod in most part so far and I have a few questions.

1. What exactly does the rope do? I cannot figure out if my attack does anything and it seems when I end the turn the enemy attacks and moves normally.

2. After 6 months in-game play, I have not the option to hunt and shoot down ships. Is there a particular research / item I need to find first or am I researching all the wrong items? 99% of the encounters are events (hunting rats, temple, assault the church) with 3 ships so far that touched down within my radar radius.

3. When assigning equipment to my ship, ammo clips seem to disappear. One example is that I finally managed to obtain enough manstopper clips but when assigning 6 weapons and 16 clips, I have 6 loaded manstoppers and 4 clips in my inventory. Note that my ship's inventory is a bit huge (tons of ammo / weapons / mellee in the pool).

EDIT : Got it for question #3. It seems Ol' Harty's gun auto-equipped with 6 manstopper clips.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 06:53:42 pm by mamix »

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: February 20, 2018, 07:23:00 pm »
1. What exactly does the rope do? I cannot figure out if my attack does anything and it seems when I end the turn the enemy attacks and moves normally.
The rope causes choke damage and can be used to capture enemies. Generally speaking, stun batons and whips are better, though.

2. After 6 months in-game play, I have not the option to hunt and shoot down ships. Is there a particular research / item I need to find first or am I researching all the wrong items? 99% of the encounters are events (hunting rats, temple, assault the church) with 3 ships so far that touched down within my radar radius.
You need to get a ship and a ship weapon. The earliest ships can be bought after researching a few contacts and weapons can be scavenged from landed ships, bought or gotten from a codex. Without knowing what exactly you researched so far it's kinda hard to recommend the best path to arming yourself. ;)

Offline mamix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: February 20, 2018, 08:22:58 pm »
Many thanks for the speedy reply.

So rope is basically useless until I have anything better to stun got it.

Currently using an awesome cattle prod looted somewhere; I only have one =(

Ships almost never land on the region I have my base in (with the starting radar).

As for what I have researched so far, the list would be really long.
That said, here is what I have on my bootypedia as far as vessels / armaments go :
Airbus GDX-058
Expedition
25mm cannon
25mm x2 cannon
Spike rockets

Only recently unlocked the "What type of codex do you want to unlock", no idea what each of it does exactly so I might browse a bit
for more information.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:04 pm »
Ships almost never land on the region I have my base in (with the starting radar).

That is quite normal.

For codex you want the gray one. It’s the most popular one by far for a good reason.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: February 20, 2018, 09:33:28 pm »
Grey has the best menace-class ship (the one you build out of your menacing hull) with inbuild shield, biggest radar and can lift into space-missions.
Crewsize is the 2nd smallest with 13 but you can field 1x lightweapon, 1x heavy weapon and 1x missle slot, legitimate able to hook every weapon you find onto the craft.
It's also the second slowest with 2000 speed, limiting it's use as a 'fighter' but the shield generator is worth alot and ensures your craft almost never has to repair.

Using the drill for grey also gives you the 'custom seagull launcher' aka Conversion Launcher and this babe is nearly as good as a lancer missle launcher while alot more cheaper and fed with cheap seagull missles instead of expensive lancer missles.
But I can't keep repeating myself that you don't get anything helpful for the battlefield for a very long time. (Battleflag doesn't count, every codex gets one for free.)
Selling point is the geoscape boost with disks and a liber occultus to get VOODOO faster unlocked. To actually get any 'voodoo' it takes a very long route leaving you with no 'help' in terms of guns, armor, manpower or equipment.

Offline mamix

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: February 22, 2018, 04:14:21 am »
After quite a while I managed to get the first fighter-ish craft. Decided to go with the airspeeder along with seagull. Seaguls seem really expensive at this point in my game but is the fastest ship available currently 2500 max speed, 6 acceleration (was thinking over the aircar but it has slightly less speed / acc and I cannot manufacture cannon rounds).

The first couple ships I shot down yielded negative infamy points (I am almost certain they were civilian - green - ships, I checked, I swear) and abysmal profits. Is there a way to spot worthwhile / shootable ships with decent profits and most importantly with no loss in infamy score? If there are civilian ships, perhaps I should try capturing them alive instead of reaction fire them to death?