aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033582 times)

Offline Lobsterman Bait

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #825 on: January 20, 2018, 07:52:51 pm »
I got some Lokk'Narr Villager captives (from one of the Bounty missions). I suppose they're useless except for ransom, right?

Offline Ninawindia

• Captain
  • Certified cat girl, nya~
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 20, 2018, 08:50:04 pm »
So, was wondering if there was a tech tree out there somewhere. Since I can't view it on mobile! Also, I've got church, traders, and stargod codes. Guessing academy is the last? Also, what leads to researching the master plasma weapons and blaster launchers?

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 20, 2018, 09:16:39 pm »
Also, I've got church, traders, and stargod codes. Guessing academy is the last? Also, what leads to researching the master plasma weapons and blaster launchers?
Academy is bugged (see my question a bit above). Open Piratez.rul and search for "  - name: STR_ACADEMY_HIERARCHY". Three lines down you'll see "    needItem: true". Change that "true" to "false".
This will allow you to research Academy Hierarchy (assuming you have all live Academy units researched) which in turn allows you to interrogate a Provost. The interrogation will unlock the stellar empire weapons tech which will allow you to get the master plasma weapons and blaster launchers (the later requires plasma rifle and heavy plasma as well).

Tree without freebies is attached.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 09:54:35 pm by cc »

Offline Ninawindia

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 20, 2018, 10:52:05 pm »
Welp, did that, didn't get stellar weapons research, idk what I'm missing for that. But ty!

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 21, 2018, 12:55:08 am »
Did you look at the tree in the above post? It's in the lower-right.
You also need Magischen Motors (item research: disassemble a Plasma Pistol/Rifle to get the item if you haven't unlocked it from a decrypted data disc yet) and Arcane Interface (Advanced Medicine, Small Launcher, Broken Esper, Mind Probe, Cybernetic Interface and MAGITECH).
Well, if you can execute Windows programs at all, I recommend getting my tech tree viewer from https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5947.0.html , pointing it at your files, and see what's missing that way. The tech tree is a bit unwieldy if you're looking at end-game techs without removing already researched ones. ;)

Offline Ninawindia

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: January 21, 2018, 05:08:20 am »
Well, turns out I need advanced medicine, though, idk how to get that as I can't follow it in the tree! Ty though. <3

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: January 21, 2018, 05:54:31 am »
Are you aware that the game itself has a tech tree viewer?  Try middle mouse clicking on a research topic, or pressing Q on the Geoscape.

Offline Ninawindia

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #832 on: January 21, 2018, 12:12:24 pm »
Are you aware that the game itself has a tech tree viewer?  Try middle mouse clicking on a research topic, or pressing Q on the Geoscape.

Mm, as I said in my post before.. ANDROID DOESN'T HAVE THAT! :P unless meridian updated it in the past 3 hours...

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: January 21, 2018, 05:12:45 pm »
I got some Lokk'Narr Villager captives (from one of the Bounty missions). I suppose they're useless except for ransom, right?

It seems to be the case.

So, in my playthrough, I finally bought some special craft from the Grey Codex, but I have some doubts: How does one use the magic cannon in the Jellyfish? I try using it as a guided rocket, but it always seems to hit the sides of the cabin uselessly, at most breaking one mirror thing before it can finally shoot outside. Is this because the gunner's Voodoo ability is low? I have no way to check that yet, so I improvise with the Savage outfit to see if it works. Also, is the first Gal on the list the user of the weapon? What happens if you have less than 7 gals inside the vehicle then?

Lastly, between Snake, Shadowbat and Jellyfish, which one is better according to you?

One more thing that's not an issue but something I noticed is that the special vehicles seem to be... There. I mean, I expected some kind of lore about how the Piratez learn to commission such special airships, instead of seemingly getting the knowledge as soon as you unlock the Shadowmasters topic. I suppose either they get the coordinates there, or they get it due magic or something.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: January 21, 2018, 05:19:13 pm »
It seems to be the case.

So, in my playthrough, I finally bought some special craft from the Grey Codex, but I have some doubts: How does one use the magic cannon in the Jellyfish? I try using it as a guided rocket, but it always seems to hit the sides of the cabin uselessly, at most breaking one mirror thing before it can finally shoot outside. Is this because the gunner's Voodoo ability is low? I have no way to check that yet, so I improvise with the Savage outfit to see if it works. Also, is the first Gal on the list the user of the weapon? What happens if you have less than 7 gals inside the vehicle then?

Lastly, between Snake, Shadowbat and Jellyfish, which one is better according to you?

You can use 'right click' to open the 'door' of the Jellyfish cannon-door. With the door open you can do the waypoints easily. Always try to shot your enemies from behind with it^^
You have to open the door every turn as long as you got ammo.

Yes, the first hand in the list is always the hooked one. With less than 7 hands in the craft it doesn't matter.

Shadowbat is great for almost all early missions even outside of night-missions.
Jellyfish is good in most situations where your team isn't spawning in the utmost middle of nowhere.
Snake is tricky to use due to the roof been flat without anything to cover yourself. It's easy to defend with only one elevator to get into the higher floors.

Also: Do not question 'why' things are there. Let room for imagination :3

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: January 21, 2018, 06:35:41 pm »

Shadowbat - best transporter you have access to early on if you pick gray codex, it is however a poor gunship as it only has missile slots and missiles are too expensive to hunt civilians with. It is also slow. Despite its flaws, this is the one you want.

Snake - being able to take one of every weapon class and having acceptable shield, this is passable as fighter transporter for your secondary base should you have one. It also goes underwater. Slow, so forget about catching most prey.

Jellyfish - more like jellshit. The voodoo weapon is interesting, however at the point you can buy jellyshit, you are unlikey to know woodoo stats of your gals, so you have no way of knowing who to put there aside from trial and error. Waste of hangar.

Offline cc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: January 21, 2018, 06:55:05 pm »
Well, turns out I need advanced medicine, though, idk how to get that as I can't follow it in the tree! Ty though. <3
You need a bigger monitor then. :p
Attach your save file and I'll generate a filtered tree for you which should be a lot easier to read.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: January 21, 2018, 07:04:45 pm »
Martin: Funny thing. For me Jellyfish is the best choice availble.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: January 21, 2018, 09:04:11 pm »
You can use 'right click' to open the 'door' of the Jellyfish cannon-door.

Well drat, I thought the blue tile on top of the cabin meant it was to shot from here, but it seems not. Can the unit inside the turret be attacked by enemy units? It seems unlikely, but perhaps mind control and the like could hit. What happens when a unit with a guided missile goes berserk, does it shoot randomly?

Another thing: Can you buy Exquisite Lingeries, or must these be "harvested"? They seem to be somewhat rare and needed for many oufits. Speaking of, I'm starting to have so many of them that sometimes I'm not sure which one to use.

Jellyfish - more like jellshit. The voodoo weapon is interesting, however at the point you can buy jellyshit, you are unlikey to know woodoo stats of your gals, so you have no way of knowing who to put there aside from trial and error. Waste of hangar.

One crude way I found to see if someone can use the Jellyfish's cannon effectively is to check the possible ranged damage with CTR+H, those with somewhat high scores likely have good Voodoo skills.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #839 on: January 21, 2018, 11:05:46 pm »
One crude way I found to see if someone can use the Jellyfish's cannon effectively is to check the possible ranged damage with CTR+H, those with somewhat high scores likely have good Voodoo skills.

Even better:  Just hold alt down as you target.  It will give you the expected damage range.