Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034167 times)

Offline Blood Raven 117

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #675 on: December 01, 2017, 01:36:03 pm »
Is there a story section in the forums?

Any tips on good mid game weapons? (I like the super shooty gun in particular)

What armor scheme does everyone use for general missions? (My answer is tactical armor and vests for Gals and weaklings, with the heavier armor types for my best gals, wiht two tactical hover suits for the nooks and crannies)

Any tips for starting mage equipment?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: December 01, 2017, 06:05:08 pm »
Is there a story section in the forums?

Any tips on good mid game weapons? (I like the super shooty gun in particular)

What armor scheme does everyone use for general missions? (My answer is tactical armor and vests for Gals and weaklings, with the heavier armor types for my best gals, wiht two tactical hover suits for the nooks and crannies)

Any tips for starting mage equipment?

Story-section:
Dunno, the plot is pretty much explained in the in-game bootypedia.

Guns:
It's the question of what do you want to hunt down.
Grenade launchers and spare panzerfausts are great to have in the craft at any given time. Super-shooty gun ain't my taste since it can't do snapshots and requires a brave and strong user. The custom shooty gun feels better to have in comparision for almost every situation that doesn't involve shooting one target 18 times.

'Smart-weapons' research gives you the 'smart-rifle' if you like a rifle-weapon with 50 clip and 44 piercing damage to wreck havoc.

The death-blossom smg is a heavy sidearm and have API-rounds. While doing 42 piercing damage it is able to set the ground and units on fire . Also has 2 additional ammo-types (chem rounds doing 23x6 chem damage to eat armor away while doing so with a x4 autoshot! With 'hellerium-munitions' in tier 3 you get HVAP ammo for 60 piercing damage ammunition. Only 10dmg short of a gauss pistol while having more utility. Get those!

Shotguns are lots to have, bring mammuth-chain shotguns. Does the dirty work against most opponents. Great for hunting dark ones and zombies.

You don't need too many sniper-rifles but they do work wonder in shooting 'blind' into smoked areas (either due to your own smoke-screen of fallout of explosives).
Bring your best grenades! Have plenty of healing items (either healing gel or a field surgery kit) and items to remove 'stun'-damage like a canteen or stimms.
Give everyone a handle and give the 'good' ones heavy batons or anything else that does good 'daze' damage.

For lasers, bring the lasguns you can find and heavy lasguns to pierce super-armors. Optional you can buy some 'Super Self-chargers' from the bounty-prices as an 'alternative' since the damage ain't great, it can only snap twice and aimed once so you could use it for the plasma bayonet in melee combat.

For plasma the early guns are quite 'poor' for the aim and scarce. All 'good' ones are locked and need the research 'unlock stellar empire weapons' to use and 'improve'.

Armor:
Heavy suits are just awesome and can withstand most sources of piercing damage while reducing choke-damage to 101% thanks to air-filters. It's tricky to use during night missions so you better bring 'sniper-armor' for the night-vision spotting. The heavy suit can later be build into the even better 'guardian-suit' so stack those heavy green armors.
Bring 'radiator-shirts' and 'fans' (the item purchable for virtually nothing and is great for training melee) to reduce heat-damage taken in hot-environments. Same for guardian-suit later too.

Mages:
As soon as you have some voodoo-skills trained bring rod of airlessness to 'choke' your victims for captures. Give a 'Master's Cane' only to hands of the rank 'baroness' or 'duchess'.
The casual stuff you can buy via black-market isn't that great to begin with and VooDoo is 'optional' to use. A good bullet to the face can get rid of the foe faster and saver than mental tricks.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 06:21:44 pm by Ethereal_Medic »

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 01, 2017, 06:36:07 pm »
Is it just me, or has the Public Enemy disappeared from Mellenio missions?  I've somehow gotten >5 of those missions (I'm not complaining about that part, because they are awesome) and have yet to see a Public Enemy. 

On a related note, what file is it that handles what aliens are on what missions?  I seem to think that I used to know this, but I simply can't find it.  I'm hoping to be able to answer questions like this by myself in the future.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2017, 08:55:08 pm »
Is it just me, or has the Public Enemy disappeared from Mellenio missions?  I've somehow gotten >5 of those missions (I'm not complaining about that part, because they are awesome) and have yet to see a Public Enemy. 

There're two identical maps for the millenium fake-falcon. One has the the public enemy; the other one not. :3

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: December 01, 2017, 09:45:58 pm »
There're two identical maps for the millenium fake-falcon. One has the the public enemy; the other one not. :3
When is map determined?  After 4 of them and no PE, I played a little game where I (with save scum on) loaded back to prior to the landing and started the battle 20+ times.  Each time I simply went into debug mode and ended the turn, watching for a PE.  I never saw one.  However, the loot seemed to me to change if I auto-killed everyone, so I convinced myself that it was changing the map.  I can't swear to that last point though (it's possible that e.g. equipment on people was what was changing).

But if what you say is the cause, maybe map is determined at mission generation time?  Otherwise, that's pretty damn bad luck to fail a coin toss 20+ times in a row...

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 01, 2017, 10:38:23 pm »
I doubt it's a simple 50/50 between the 2 map versions. Personal experience would lead me to believe about 80/20. I've never seen more then 2-3 public enemies in  a whole run.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #681 on: December 02, 2017, 12:29:40 am »
Though they use the same "falcon" map, these are two different missions.  The missions are generated at the beginning of the month, and the one you have doesn't have the PE.  In my experience this is a very Rare mission.  I've only seen it once over 4 campaigns.  The difference in loot generated in your save scumming testing is the result of random loot drops assigned to that mission.

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 02, 2017, 05:10:24 am »
This all sounds familiar from last time I was looking at this (when I really, really needed a gatling lascannon).  Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten where to find the missions, and more than a desire to look at them there's the desire to remember what I spent time learning.  Ivan, do you know what file they are in?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 02, 2017, 12:55:51 pm »
This all sounds familiar from last time I was looking at this (when I really, really needed a gatling lascannon).

You can roll 4x gat. lascannon parts randomly in a smuggler ship. It's RNG to get the lascannon parts.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #684 on: December 02, 2017, 07:40:26 pm »
This all sounds familiar from last time I was looking at this (when I really, really needed a gatling lascannon).  Unfortunately, I have completely forgotten where to find the missions, and more than a desire to look at them there's the desire to remember what I spent time learning.  Ivan, do you know what file they are in?

The file that has the info is Piratez_Facdtions.rul
The standard "Falcon" with a mundane crew is STR_VESSEL_SMUGGLER.
The one with the PE is STR_VESSEL_SMUGGLER_MILENIO
Starting around like 33992 you can see the load out for the Milenio.  The members of the crew begin with the       - alienRank:  tags.  The       - alienRank: 0  is our PE.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 04, 2017, 04:26:20 pm »
If I remember right, the Milenio is completely identical to the regular Smuggler Ship with one exception: Its top speed is slightly faster.

Oh, and that whole Public Enemy thing too.

Offline Ragshak

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 04, 2017, 09:16:07 pm »
How do you update to new version? Do I have to install the mod at new location and copy/paste saves or just overwrite old mod folder?

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 04, 2017, 10:37:01 pm »
How do you update to new version? Do I have to install the mod at new location and copy/paste saves or just overwrite old mod folder?

Install the mod at new location and copy/paste saves.

Clean installs like this means you get to keep the old version as backup just in case.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 04, 2017, 11:40:26 pm »
of note for a "clean" install you will need to copy your old config file to the new location, or your settings will not be preserved.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 05, 2017, 12:31:44 am »
Every single time, my beginning move is to sell the corridor and some piles of junk to afford third brainer.

Anybody does things differently?