aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034021 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #495 on: July 31, 2017, 03:14:44 am »
So does the number really mean anything? Is there a way to work out how likely I really am to hit?
Unless Piratez changes how accuracy works...
The chance to hit is the chance that your shot is automatically placed on a trajectory that intersects the target. If you score a miss, it picks a random trajectory across a wide range of values, which can hit your target but isn't likely to if you're more than 2 squares away. If your target is in partial cover, the soldier may believe they have a line of fire but a hit might hit their cover.

Offline KiriKaneko

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 31, 2017, 12:03:09 pm »
Ah ok, thankyou!

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 31, 2017, 10:58:59 pm »
Where do I find industrial scanners? I had 3, but I used them all on industrial printer, and now I need 1 more for mint.

Offline stvip

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 01, 2017, 12:10:48 am »
Lucky you, managing to avoid the disappointment of building a Mint.

(you'll eventually find them like you found your first three, and there's a certain storyline mission that has them as loot)

Offline Bacon_Hero

• Captain
  • Why can't I quit you X-Com UFO D
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 01, 2017, 05:52:03 am »
Bows have a long range and decent accuracy in a stage of the game where long-range firearms are rare. One gal using a bow can be really useful ratmen village maps. They have pretty low damage so gainst anything tougher than an unarmored human you're probably better off using javelins or grenades or mortars to fill the same niche.

Nope. Bows have pretty good damage early game, especially if you a gal with good stats. (It's easy to max out in a short period)

Assuming Max Stats:
----------------------------
Hunting Bow, Cutting: 41 damage. Flame: 37 damage + Reliable Flame Damage (5).
Combat Bow, Cutting: 58 damage, Aqua Plastic: 60 damage & 20% Armour Pierce
Long Bow, Cutting: 75 damage
Future Bows, are a bit disappointing. This might be worth it if their energy and TU cost was reduced. You're better off with a mortar at this point of the game. It's also really difficult to get the material to build them.

Javelins have pretty good damage but terrible range and ammo count. Honestly, an archer does a better job of picking off enemies from safety while a gal with a barbarian axe or spear is more useful for taking on tanks and power armoured enemies. I also find that diverting your runts too much in the early game is detrimental for your income, so if you choose to build a large store of javelins or constantly replace them, the opportunity cost will be really high early game!

Grenades don't have the range and precision of the bow and unless you prime everything in your inventory you won't have the fire-rate either. Usually all your gals with have several grenades on them anyway so a dedicated non-launcher grenadier is a bit of a waste. That role is easily fulfilled by your riflegals.

Mortars are excellent but come much much later in the game

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 01, 2017, 09:46:57 am »
I'm currently in an archaeological dig bounty (rank c) for the bank faction and I seem to be missing something.  I found one enemy out in the open and killed it, but now I'm wandering the rest of the map for 20 turns and haven't found any other enemies.  I can't seem to explore most of the second floor or a large corner of the map.  Are there supposed to be enemies trapped in inaccessible portions of this map?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 01, 2017, 11:48:44 am »
If bug hunt mode is not activated it mean that there is more than one or two enemies. Mayby you have "hiding" enabled, AI in that case try to cover everywhere. If you fight ninja gals, they have camo so its even harder to spot them. Someone before posted a incident when he fight spiders and one spawned in inaccessible part of map.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 11:50:20 am by JustTheDude »

Offline Troubleshooter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 01, 2017, 03:25:40 pm »
I'm really struggling to figure out how I can build a still at my second base. Apparently the online tech tree viewer is out-of-date, and the in-game viewer isn't any help either. What could I be missing?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 01, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »
I think you need to research alchemy. As I remember there is two ways of getting that and researching animal poison is one of them. Just go to spider or megascorpion hunt. I don't know did that is loot from them, but if you ecounter ratman in hunt mission, they will carry loot from that animals and often animal poison.

Offline Troubleshooter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 01, 2017, 04:09:01 pm »
I've been skipping the monster hunt missions this time around so it's probably something like that, I've got poisons and acids but not animal poisons. I'll try that, thanks!

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 01, 2017, 10:16:21 pm »
I'm currently in an archaeological dig bounty (rank c) for the bank faction and I seem to be missing something.  I found one enemy out in the open and killed it, but now I'm wandering the rest of the map for 20 turns and haven't found any other enemies.  I can't seem to explore most of the second floor or a large corner of the map.  Are there supposed to be enemies trapped in inaccessible portions of this map?

There very often are isolated foes with that map. But no part of a map is truly inaccessible, if you have the right tools. In this case bring pickaxes and get digging. 

Offline AngelicJoker

• Sergeant
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 04, 2017, 10:21:12 pm »
I've been looking everywhere and I can't figure out why the animal skinning manufacturing items all start with 'B:'.  I get why slavery has different variants starting with 'S' and disassembly items start with 'D-A:'.  Any ideas from all of you?

Some Examples:
"B: Werewolf (2/6/7)"
"B: Vampire Bat (2/2/2)"

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 04, 2017, 10:28:43 pm »
I've been looking everywhere and I can't figure out why the animal skinning manufacturing items all start with 'B:'.  I get why slavery has different variants starting with 'S' and disassembly items start with 'D-A:'.  Any ideas from all of you?

Some Examples:
"B: Werewolf (2/6/7)"
"B: Vampire Bat (2/2/2)"

Butchery.

Offline Troubleshooter

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 05, 2017, 04:56:25 am »
Alright, so what's the deal with acid rain? The population says that "It hurts" but it doesn't seem to actually be dealing any damage, is it doing morale damage? And what item/s can prevent this? Logically goggles or a chem coat would help, but their description just says that they reduce chem damage.

Offline KateMicucci

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 05, 2017, 06:20:48 am »
Favorite pistols? I haven't been too impressed with any of them except the scoped magnum this playthrough.