Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034327 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #390 on: June 28, 2017, 04:35:33 am »
Mutons are Mercs.  Floaters are designed to be added into the game later.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: June 28, 2017, 01:57:29 pm »
Oh, the mercs are actually mutons?  Guess that explains why they're just as tough as them.

Okay, couple more questions:

- Why doesn't gauss work underwater?  It finally has a chance to make up for its bad reputation in TFTD, only for it to be denied its native environment.
- Seriously, how do I stun and get a live cyberdisc without having it blow up in my face?  I just want to know how to take it apart because research tree completion itch and also for those heavy power couplings.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: June 28, 2017, 02:43:13 pm »
In Piratez, it's impossible to get 100% of the tech tree without cheating, and that's by design.  There's really no way to stun cyberdiscs on purpose, as they're both immune to daze and secondary stun damage from other sources. You can pray RNG somehow gives you one, but the tech and disassembly are there just to catch the odd cases where one does get stunned. As for your heavy power couplings, you can eventually buy and disassemble charger lasers.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 28, 2017, 07:14:55 pm »
Well, I could cattle prod a cyberdisc that's several floors high up so that when it gets stunned, its corpse falls from high enough to escape the explosion.

Okay fine, that's too much trouble.  Charger lasers it is then.

Offline sinisteragent

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 28, 2017, 08:12:39 pm »
I think I've seen all the vanilla aliens accounted for in this mod, so now I gotta ask:

Where are the floaters and mutons?  There are reapers but the race that used them in the original are only a pedia article; it's arguably the same with snakemen, but at least they still have a legacy in the form of mutant lamia and of course those damn chryssalids.  Mutons don't even get a pedia mention, but at least their body type is reused on many other units (mainly mercs).

I just assumed the star gods stopped making floaters. They were a lot of work in return for poor soldiers that even conventional Earth weapons took down easily. They weren't bright enough to take much advantage of flight, and anyone can make a cheap grav harness anyway.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #395 on: June 28, 2017, 09:08:47 pm »
Oh, the mercs are actually mutons?  Guess that explains why they're just as tough as them.

Yes, but in a confusing way.

See, Muton is not a species; it is an augmentation type. You probably could take a human, cyborgize them heavily, pump them with magical steroids and presto! you have a Muton.

So, I think Mercs use the same augmentation technology - effectively becoming Mutons - but they are not of the same species as original Mutons.
(This is mostly my speculation, based on various conversations with Dioxine.)

I just assumed the star gods stopped making floaters. They were a lot of work in return for poor soldiers that even conventional Earth weapons took down easily. They weren't bright enough to take much advantage of flight, and anyone can make a cheap grav harness anyway.

Floaters currently reproduce themselves, using Star God tech (much like Factions on Earth). There is a whole planet of them and they live in relative prosperity (for a heavily polluted world).

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 29, 2017, 07:12:47 am »
Are the rest of the TFTD aliens gonna show up?  We have gill men (confusingly called deep ones, but where are the actual deep ones?) and lobstermen everywhere, but what about the tasoth and tentaculats and stuff like that?  Aquatoids are mentioned, but I have yet to actually see any.

Offline kayelgee

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:10 am »
I'm pretty new to this game and I have trouble finishing my first bounty hunt.
Spoiler:
In the bounty hunt description it says that I have to do as much damage as I can to a red barn and leave. I have 5 turns to do that. I should not fight with the owner.
So what I did was run up to said red barn and threw a few black powder bombs at it. That left some pretty big holes. Then I left at turn 5/5.
Now I expected to get something but I didn't as far as I can tell(no trophy tokens in my vault).
Have I done something wrong? Did I miss something?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:52 pm »
You have to wait for the timer to run out on that mission, it auto-wins so you can "loot" the map. Aborting gets you nothing but what you brought back to the ship, which was nothing.

Offline kikanaide

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: June 29, 2017, 03:44:03 pm »
I will second that description being misleading.  Roughly as bad as the bounty hunt where it tells you to talk before going loud; of course, if you even move you get shot.

Offline BBHood217

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: June 29, 2017, 05:59:42 pm »
The aircar race "battle" also mentions spectators, but the only unit (other than your own gals) that ever spawns there is a single academy student.

More questions:

- Where do I get a boom gun?
- When will bombers and battleships show up?  I need that implosion bomb launcher.
- The gauss defenses facility mentions that building it enables research on gauss weapons, but I think I've already researched all gauss-related tech long before I researched gauss defenses which was actually the last gauss tech that I researched.  Is it a bug, an artifact from previous versions, or a placeholder for future content?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: June 29, 2017, 06:19:50 pm »
Likely unclear wording plus some holdover from when it was researched first - now it's only necessary for making your own gauss weapons.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:13 pm »
We have gill men (confusingly called deep ones, but where are the actual deep ones?)

Deep ones are deep ones. Giving that name to something completely different in TFTD was yet another TFTD idiocy.

As fo9r other races, I am no aware of such plans at the moment.

The aircar race "battle" also mentions spectators, but the only unit (other than your own gals) that ever spawns there is a single academy student.

Eh? I'm fairly sure there were civilians. Or am I wrong?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: June 29, 2017, 08:28:37 pm »
As for other races, I am no aware of such plans at the moment.

- *cough* -
I found these in the bootypedia.
1.) Animatrons (would like to fight these asap)
2.) Aquatoids (pretty much TFTD)
3.) Snakeman (How about use X-Com-2 Viper instead?)
4.) Floaters (pretty much UFO, those could need the visuals of X-Com 20xx)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: June 29, 2017, 08:29:40 pm »
Yeah, and I am not aware of any plans involving them.