aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1060909 times)

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #225 on: May 05, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
Gonna be honest, reading the discussion on psi gives me the feeling that this is all working as designed:

Defending against psi attacks is hard, and using psi effectively (read: finding a tile on the battlescape where those fragile psi users are safe and useful) is bitchin' hard.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 05, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »
@Ethereal_Medic  Okay thank you, that makes your stance much clearer even if i don't quite agree with it personally.

Offline desert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 05, 2017, 06:52:19 pm »
I'm sure MCed gals suck when you have a late-game group bunched together, but Espers in particular have never caused me trouble outside base assaults. In one amusing instance, I had a slave soldier along as a substitute and while everyone else was ganging on the Esper inside the ship the slave soldier (since these guys have no stamina) was lagging outside the craft, getting MCed or terrorized and uselessly firing his popgun against the exterior.

As for offense, I still haven't used any Psi-equipment other than the Market wands, TK fist, and Master's Cane. The Hellgun looks interesting if I ever run into Dark Ones again, but I have to ask if there're really any Voodoo-specific magic/weapons that aren't worth less than another gal wielding pretty much anything else?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 05, 2017, 07:27:25 pm »
snip
Ones again, but I have to ask if there're really any Voodoo-specific magic/weapons that aren't worth less than another gal wielding pretty much anything else?

Impaler is pretty good. Powerful, no lethal component stun damage, that goes vs special resist, and huge armor pen. And if you don't stun the target in a few shots panic is assured from the massive morale damage.   

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 05, 2017, 11:15:19 pm »
Wands of rending can be pretty powerful for a light weight item. Had some great success downing mercenaries and MarSec bodyguards from range. Powers of Seduction is a great ranged stun too.

Orb of Destruction and Lucky Star are very strong area of effect attacks. I've yet to use a scroll of inconsensuality, but the bootypedia page describes something hilariously powerful.

If all else fails, I guess they can be used to cheese bravery.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 06, 2017, 02:57:33 am »
The scroll is complete garbage in practice. Because the engines blast propagation is square rather then true circular after about radius 4 the shape tends to fragment into a bunch of rays of damage making the outer area inconsistent. Also since only special resistance mitigates it you basically have to equip the entire crew accordingly since the aoe is 2-3 x larger then a mini nuke with an average of ~180 damage at its edge.

So an inconstantly applied amount of stun, sufficient to trigger stun overflow damage in most gals, dealt to roughly half the map centered on user. It the third most dangerous weapon to the player behind the dragon rockets, and like the dragons we are the one firing it.

My last use with it dealt about 600 total stun to my own squad and only knocked out the one enemy right next to the user. Who later died to the overflow tick, because with half my gals down to friendly fire i didn't have the TU to counteract the 300+ stun on him. So one kill vs 1/2 my prepared and tuned for special Resistance squad.

Which by the way tuning for special resist gets you killed by everything else, unless you happen to have a squad full of destructor or bio armor at which point why the fuck are you using the scroll.   

Offline okashii

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 06, 2017, 10:01:21 am »
I don't understand what I am doing wrong with the 'Use Drill (color)' manufacturing option:
it can be researched fairly quickly [second month], I have the default work space of 30, the hull, the drill, but no option to click to confirm and starting the 'Use drill' manufacturing process.
Can you please help me with what I am missing?

EDIT: A helpful person on discord said that I need more manufacturing capabilities than the default base comes equipped with, I tested it in game and building another Extractor for example does solve the issue.
I was confused because it doesn't say so in the Tech Tree search [Q] requirements or in the manufacturing selection.
Since the base comes with 30 work space by default, perhaps changing the manufacturing requirement listed for 'Use Drill (color)' from 30 to 35 or more would give the player a better hint that an expansion is required first.   
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:39:03 am by okashii »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #232 on: May 06, 2017, 02:25:46 pm »
Yes, good point, but it's been fixed already for the upcoming version.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 06, 2017, 11:19:15 pm »
Quote from: etherealmedic
The issue with enemy voodoo attacks is the same issue the vanilla game had. If the enemy can see a toe of one of your squad-members, they can target everyone of your squad beside having no vision on them.

This is 100% false.

I have done *extensive* testing on this and have argued this countless times both here, on reddit, and on my stream.  Using both OXC AND Vanilla executable to test it out.

There are two ways (3 kinda) that an enemy learns where your units are
1.  They see a unit.
1a.  They mind control a unit and IT sees units
2. A unit successfully lands an attack on an enemy.

Any of those actions, and only those actions sets the 'turns since spotted flag' to zero on THAT specific unit.

That's it.
No argument.
There is no other way for them to know where a unit is.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2017, 11:20:47 pm by Starving Poet »

Offline desert

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2017, 01:06:53 am »
Question on "Mutant Fish": these Sea-mission enemies seemingly can't be captured, as unconscious ones are killed at Results due to the absence of an "aquarium" at the base. Others on the board have brought up this question since .99F5 dropped, but without answer. Now, I would just take this as some kind of joke were it not for the presence in the research browser of two distinct topics for "Dead Fish" and "Mutant Fish". So how does one bring home a live Mutant Fish?

Wands of rending can be pretty powerful for a light weight item. Had some great success downing mercenaries and MarSec bodyguards from range. Powers of Seduction is a great ranged stun too.

Orb of Destruction and Lucky Star are very strong area of effect attacks. I've yet to use a scroll of inconsensuality, but the bootypedia page describes something hilariously powerful.

If all else fails, I guess they can be used to cheese bravery.

Wand of Rending is a useful tool against armored humans if you really need it, but it's a Black Market wand that IIRC can be used by anyone to good effect.  By Powers of Seduction, do you mean the built-in attack for those 'sex' outfits? Would you really want to wear that at the expense of other armor, and fix one hand slot with that power at the expense of anything else?

The Tome of Lightning is a funny device, but it's just a longer-range Tesla Coil, which itself is a novelty weapon that is better replaced with other stunning weapons.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: May 07, 2017, 03:11:35 am »
Question on "Mutant Fish": these Sea-mission enemies seemingly can't be captured, as unconscious ones are killed at Results due to the absence of an "aquarium" at the base. Others on the board have brought up this question since .99F5 dropped, but without answer. Now, I would just take this as some kind of joke were it not for the presence in the research browser of two distinct topics for "Dead Fish" and "Mutant Fish". So how does one bring home a live Mutant Fish?

Wand of Rending is a useful tool against armored humans if you really need it, but it's a Black Market wand that IIRC can be used by anyone to good effect.  By Powers of Seduction, do you mean the built-in attack for those 'sex' outfits? Would you really want to wear that at the expense of other armor, and fix one hand slot with that power at the expense of anything else?

The Tome of Lightning is a funny device, but it's just a longer-range Tesla Coil, which itself is a novelty weapon that is better replaced with other stunning weapons.

More then likely fish capture has yet to be implemented completely but the mobs where needed for undersea missions first.

Seduction is indeed the power on the "sex" outfits. Useful in the correct circumstances but defiantly a "your mileage may vary" tool.

Coil and tome are actually quite useful for stunning units highly resistant to daze damage like dark ones and stargods. These foes are by combination of high resist and some armor 99% immune to any weapon based on daze. Also stunning robotic units like cyberdisks and sectopods due to shock bypass feature is fun.

Offline Starving Poet

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 07, 2017, 04:54:51 pm »
Seductress is probably my #1 go to tool for taking down power armor, especially in enclosed areas.

Offline wolfreal

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2017, 08:13:41 am »
Hi.

What is the difference between sense and spot?

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2017, 09:23:17 am »
Sense = Soulsense
Soulsense allows to see enemies through anything (smoke, camo and walls!)

Spot x
See enemies x tiles earlier.
Armor with Spot 5 can see camo'ed enemies 5 tiles earlier, negating camo to the stated value.
Camo'ed enemies in smoke are quite hard to spot tho.

Offline Ethereal_Medic

• Commander
  • Pet Lokk'Nar 9,99 $/hour
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2017, 09:38:47 am »
Sorry for ranting over voodoo-stuff and things the last days. Frustration rises quickly if the enemy has alot of success mc'ing personal with 51/29 vpower/vskill without 'spotting' them first.

Anyway, I'm 400 hellerium capsules and conquerer buildtime away from going to Cydonia (Mars).

Suggestions for fighting the mars-lubbers?

I have full plasma-weoponry tech (up to plasma destroyer)
I can field 10 annihilator-suits and 7 bio-suits.
I got 4 X-Sectopods and can produce all other HWP's @ will.
I have no syns (because space missions never ever rolled the space-ship)
No ghosts (because red codex)