aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034271 times)

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3570 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:27 am »
It is not overkill.

Rather, as far as I can tell, units are 100% safe if the craft is attacked by an enemy HK, but they are DEAD if you are the aggressor. For that reason, I advise to never intercept HKs directly, just fly inside their radar, they'll target you.

I think there's a #tip about this, something like, if you are attacked, pilots will engage safety features, but if you are the attacker, the pilots will fight to the death.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 09:55:36 am by Iazo »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3571 on: October 20, 2022, 10:46:46 am »
Thanks for an answers.
Some answers can be found in ufopeadia bumbered articles.
Only answer about morale damage can be found in ufopeadia and I don't trust it! It is really hard to check in game how exactly such things are calculated because of input data obscurity (that is why I am asking these questions), but info in ufopeadia is almost certainly wrong (1 for 1, bravery does not matter). And some stuff can be altered by modders (most notably experience gain).
but they are DEAD if you are the aggressor.
Well that explains a lot, really thanks.

Still waiting an answer about "gathers intel on missions"...

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3572 on: October 20, 2022, 11:16:26 am »
Your guess is right, it just gathers extra personal databases.

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3573 on: October 22, 2022, 11:16:01 pm »
Another question not strictly related to XPiratez, but still...
There is an item called "Master's Cane". If you open additional info page, there is hidden 20% weapon attack accuracy. That is very low and since it is hidden very suspicious. If user's accuracy is multiplied by this value, then even if user has 100 voodoo strength and 100 voodoo skill there will be 34% chance to hit ((100 * 100 * 0.011 + 0.6 * 100) * 0.2 = 34) and that is without distance drop off.

Or maybe this 20% is +20% on top for easy psi-attack from psi formula? It has to be that, right?

Offline AuEllai

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3574 on: October 26, 2022, 12:05:58 pm »
You can always trust the ufopeadia. The numbered articles are true in the sense that they're 100% false. If it says bravery isn't important, for example, that means it's very important. It's the best source of info there is and should be used often, especially those numbered "false" articles, because once you realize that you can just assume the opposite of what it says, you realize it's the closest the game ever gets to giving you clear, straightforward tips instead of just hints.

EDIT: I don't remember exactly, it's not ALL the numbered articles (and it might not even be the numbered articles), but there's a set of "hints" that basically give you opposite day info. Regardless, the point is that the ufopeadia can absolutely be trusted as an authoritative source.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2022, 07:09:43 am by AuEllai »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3575 on: October 26, 2022, 02:42:27 pm »
Wtf dude.

Wrong information will be corrected, but you have to be more specific than "everything is wrong".

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3576 on: October 27, 2022, 07:56:06 pm »
why do no slave soldiers or peasants (or loknars) get ANY flying options when grav harnesses are available right from the beginning of the game pretty much?

These characters are supposed to make up for toughness with quantity compared to gals. But that should mean that similar options are available to get them in high places. Guild PCMs can fly, so obviously grav packs are not toxic to humans.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3577 on: October 28, 2022, 07:52:28 pm »
why do no slave soldiers or peasants (or loknars) get ANY flying options when grav harnesses are available right from the beginning of the game pretty much?

These characters are supposed to make up for toughness with quantity compared to gals. But that should mean that similar options are available to get them in high places. Guild PCMs can fly, so obviously grav packs are not toxic to humans.

You are definitely right; armours are just time-consuming to make, so not every combination exists.

I'll discuss this with Dio, maybe we can do something relatively inexpensive in terms of time sunk.

EDIT: Behold! :D

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3578 on: October 28, 2022, 11:18:40 pm »
You are definitely right; armours are just time-consuming to make, so not every combination exists.
There is always option to hack something using items and altering move type of unit, then nearly any armor could have optional flight capacity.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3579 on: October 29, 2022, 06:11:53 am »
There is always option to hack something using items and altering move type of unit, then nearly any armor could have optional flight capacity.
its just an oversight I think, and I don't like hacking stuff for that big of a change that doesn't make sense for the thing in question. Really id be happy with a grav harness altered for humans which doesn't even give them more TUs (ie, no "running"), or maybe a tac vest as the entry fee (which doesn't really add protection tbh).

I mean, if the stairwell is out and all you have are slave soldiers or peasants (or 3 heroes...). I think the only hacky thing I think I would want to exploit currently is Hammer Crushing from above, or maybe air dropped landmines. But being able to fly behind trees for cover is a modest benefit.

I have some maxed out and commended peasants and heroes, and it just seens silly they cant get the same benefits at their "level" as regular gals. Just defender armor, doom armor, centurion. No flying. Maybe there's something endgame but i haven't found it yet.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 06:15:20 am by RSSwizard »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3580 on: November 01, 2022, 10:40:36 pm »
I know these tools are readily provided for massive destruction... like red dragon missiles, baby nukes, barrel of nukes, but I need to know what the practical purpose is for them. Besides the final mission of course (which ive never reached).

I tend to find that Mercs might be the only dudes you really just want to wipe, but most of the time you find them in Pogroms which have all the civilians there too, so you can't nuke them there. Mostly for mercs I just land, watch the -500ish point penalty and take off immediately without taking a shot.

Sure a nuke helps with an enemy hideout but usually I mop up everybody rather than destroy the command center. And if I wanna hit the command center honestly as soon as I find it I send in a Blitz or Synth lady carrying a Barrel Bomb or Demo Charge, set it down and fly back out the door. You cant even bring vehicles into enemy hideouts (XEC, Battlecannon).

Siberia only comes once too...
The ATGM and Bombard/Hell works good enough there.

So im just wondering, are there other situations its worthwhile?
Eridian Terror, if you suck that much?
Euro syndicate, if you're stupid enough to accept the deal?
Or just wanna watch academy campus ladies get cooked?

If anything the Timed Baby Nuke is pretty worthwhile, because you can put it inside somewhere. But a Demo Charge does about the same thing too.

Offline Nalca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: November 01, 2022, 11:27:14 pm »
I know these tools are readily provided for massive destruction... like red dragon missiles, baby nukes, barrel of nukes, but I need to know what the practical purpose is for them.

Nuking ninjas and ninja landcruisers.
Or the surprise hidden in the ninja base.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3582 on: November 02, 2022, 03:19:46 am »
Nuking ninjas and ninja landcruisers.
Or the surprise hidden in the ninja base.
FYTY
i guess they usually dont have much loot to bother with
I haven't upgraded in awhile though so ninja bases aren't a thing for me yet

Offline Fugazza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3583 on: November 02, 2022, 06:23:20 am »
FYTY
i guess they usually dont have much loot to bother with
I haven't upgraded in awhile though so ninja bases aren't a thing for me yet

Now they're a three level mission. A fucking kick in the nuts. And that's if you strike them early before they grow to the second tier

Ninja main base is why I'm still using debug mode ctrl+K

Offline Jimboman

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3584 on: November 02, 2022, 03:00:03 pm »
Now they're a three level mission. A fucking kick in the nuts. And that's if you strike them early before they grow to the second tier

Ninja main base is why I'm still using debug mode ctrl+K

I'm ashamed to say I did the same thing to take out the Ninja base early so I don't have to be bothered by them so much and can concentrate on working my way through a 'normal' game.  I try not to use that cheat on 'normal' missions of course, unless I'm down to one or two badly wounded gals and there's just one enemy hiding somewhere.