aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1034796 times)

Online Psyentific

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3555 on: September 20, 2022, 03:59:42 am »
the Slaughter Cannon is also handy for dealing with Lobstermen for the same reason.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3556 on: September 23, 2022, 01:39:20 am »
I use Knockout Grenades on lobsters. Wanna catch them for that lobster meat. Stun Batons can take them down but its a real chore.

Offline Rondano

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3557 on: October 01, 2022, 09:47:01 pm »
Hi, is it possible to reduce the number of enemies in the battle, the battles last a long time, thanks for the answer

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3558 on: October 02, 2022, 12:44:30 am »
Hi, is it possible to reduce the number of enemies in the battle, the battles last a long time, thanks for the answer

Not without hacking your savegame file or the game rul files. But if you want the answer yeah you can find it probably in the deployments or ufos section, where it says number of each rank are expected. I did this to space freighters because the number of "door openings" is so obscene it takes like 3 minutes for enemies to finish their turn. I also increased the number of civvies in aircar race maps so the reward is more impressive and worth it to actually keep an airspeeder around at a base.

Inside individual save games search for "stunlevel" and cycle through to any enemies who are still up. You can either kill or stun them to cancel certain enemies, or all of them. You can also generally guess where they are based on coords (always starts from the topmost north west map tile). Nobody gets diary credit for that though unless they hit them already.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3559 on: October 02, 2022, 01:42:38 am »
Lower difficulty levels offer less enemies, so the one sure and convinient way is just to start the game again.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3560 on: October 02, 2022, 06:34:44 pm »
Lower difficulty levels offer less enemies, so the one sure and convinient way is just to start the game again.

Or just edit your save. Find something like:

difficulty: X

Should be one the first lines. X denotes game difficulty(0 to 4)(, so change to whatever you like.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3561 on: October 05, 2022, 03:57:50 am »
Or just edit your save. Find something like:

difficulty: X

Should be one the first lines. X denotes game difficulty(0 to 4)(, so change to whatever you like.

Yeah but that screws with the Occult/Psionics branch of the game.

Oh by the way not sure if the private messages glitched but i posted a sample to check for the colors on the sprite thread I made. I used X-P palette as a basis and changed both the Red range and the first Gray range. I made the grays brighter because the dark gray range is already at the end of the palette.

Honest question though considering the number and capabilities of enemies...
Sooo you can capture a Megapol Wolfman and turn him into a Slave.
Then turn him into a Slave Soldier.
And then send him on a City Raid where mutants are absolutely not allowed.
Isnt he abit... furry for that at the checkpoint?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:59:50 am by RSSwizard »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3562 on: October 05, 2022, 01:26:31 pm »
Yeah but that screws with the Occult/Psionics branch of the game.

Yes, but I decided to skip this, at is not directly related. But all right, I'll elaborate:
Selecting the lowest difficulty prevents some events from firing, most notably an event which gives you access to some advanced forms of magic. So if you switch to the lowest difficulty before the event, it is just as if you played on Cap'n Kidd from the very beginning; and if you do this after this event, the change shouldn't make any difference.
I personally recommend not playing on the lowest difficulty; the second lowest is only marginally harder, and has no content missing.

(Also thx for that palette help.)

Honest question though considering the number and capabilities of enemies...
Sooo you can capture a Megapol Wolfman and turn him into a Slave.
Then turn him into a Slave Soldier.
And then send him on a City Raid where mutants are absolutely not allowed.
Isnt he abit... furry for that at the checkpoint?

I believe the runts shave him. :)
I look at it more as an allegory: beastman -> human slave -> free human.

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3563 on: October 05, 2022, 10:58:33 pm »
I'm on my first runthrough of this game on the 2nd to lowest difficulty and have had good positive months(+200-500) all the way until june 2601 when all of a sudden a hideout appeared with a big star on the map.  Since then, both June and July are -1500 - 1700.  I guess my question is... what do i do? lol.  Theres absolutely no way I have the capability to take down that base.  Even getting close immediately shoots down my airbus, but its most definitely the problem (i assume) as to why im getting such huge negative scores.   I'm still running around with personal shotguns and ol' carbines right now, i feel like something is drastically wrong with this situation.

Am i vastly behind in my tech?  is this base totally do-able with my capabilities and im just being a wuss about it? By the end of July I had my first tech in Dr X, the red codex, warrior armors, starting a second base, a good flow of cash from apple booze, and the afore mentioned weapons with mini guns.  I made contact with the car guys (but didnt produce any). 

Any thoughts?

*edit*  so i attempted to replay this a third time by loading farther back.  it looks like it gave a new set of missions and flyby craft  which ended up giving me enough points to survive the month.  some bad RNG i guess.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 12:36:43 am by BDoubleDs »

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3564 on: October 06, 2022, 11:12:50 am »
I suggest looking at this guide, I think its maker knew what he was talking about. See what is applicable. In general, 200-300 score by june is VERY low.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10299.0.html

Offline BDoubleDs

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3565 on: October 06, 2022, 05:44:51 pm »
I suggest looking at this guide, I think its maker knew what he was talking about. See what is applicable. In general, 200-300 score by june is VERY low.

https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,10299.0.html

I kept going after my reload, and i'm now consistently 1000 or so each month.  My most recent was 4500.  I'm chalking it up to a tad learning experience for the first few months, with some bad RNG in jun/july.  But thanks for the link, I'll read over it.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 05:47:20 pm by BDoubleDs »

Offline Vakrug

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3566 on: October 18, 2022, 10:30:11 am »
I have some questions. Some of them are recent, some are bothering me for a while:
  • What does "gathers intel on missions" means in PIGEON description? It looks like I am getting slightly more personal databases from missions. Is that all?
  • What does "Extra XP (10)" means on Bikini or similar outfits? I am getting more experience while using it, but this is definitely not +10 stats, otherwise a gal would be maxed very soon.
  • How exactly morale damage (from weapons, such as Incendiary Grenades) is calculated (in this mod)? Does target's bravery matter? It looks like yes, but I cannot figure out how exactly.
  • As far as I know, when a craft get's shot down it is 85% (or something close to that) chance for each crew member to survive. But It looks like there are some hidden rules that I am unaware of. In my current playthrough when AIRBUS with 6 ubers was shot down all survived. Then LITTLE BIRD was shot down with 2 Slave Soldiers: none survived. (2.25% chance, OK.) Then AIRSPEEDER was shot down with 3 Peasants, none survived. (0.3375% that is fishy!) EDIT: And then the PIGEON from 1-st point was shot down with 8 peasants: all survived. Now I can only assume parachutes are available only on certain crafts...
  • Good pilots has +% to accuracy, but how exactly does this goes into formula? Is it an additive to enemy's craft evasion or to weapon accuracy? The difference is significant.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 09:09:08 pm by Vakrug »

Offline Rondano

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3567 on: October 19, 2022, 09:51:16 pm »
Hi. how to find out the exact rating? maybe in saves? Help

Offline R1dO

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3568 on: October 19, 2022, 10:41:03 pm »
Take a look at the charts, finance section.

The score button reveals the rating (see attached image)

Offline Scamps

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3569 on: October 19, 2022, 11:05:49 pm »
I have some questions. Some of them are recent, some are bothering me for a while:
  • What does "gathers intel on missions" means in PIGEON description? It looks like I am getting slightly more personal databases from missions. Is that all?
  • What does "Extra XP (10)" means on Bikini or similar outfits? I am getting more experience while using it, but this is definitely not +10 stats, otherwise a gal would be maxed very soon.
  • How exactly morale damage (from weapons, such as Incendiary Grenades) is calculated (in this mod)? Does target's bravery matter? It looks like yes, but I cannot figure out how exactly.
  • As far as I know, when a craft get's shot down it is 85% (or something close to that) chance for each crew member to survive. But It looks like there are some hidden rules that I am unaware of. In my current playthrough when AIRBUS with 6 ubers was shot down all survived. Then LITTLE BIRD was shot down with 2 Slave Soldiers: none survived. (2.25% chance, OK.) Then AIRSPEEDER was shot down with 3 Peasants, none survived. (0.3375% that is fishy!) EDIT: And then the PIGEON from 1-st point was shot down with 8 peasants: all survived. Now I can only assume parachutes are available only on certain crafts...
  • Good pilots has +% to accuracy, but how exactly does this goes into formula? Is it an additive to enemy's craft evasion or to weapon accuracy? The difference is significant.

Some answers can be found in ufopeadia bumbered articles.
2. Only basic stats (STR, STA, ...). Does not affect  ACC, THR, MEL.
4. I have a feeling that overkill matters. Little bird and Airspeeder are squishy compared to Pigeon.
5. I believe multiplicative to base weapon accuracy. Additive would be imbalanced. Not sure about the rest of formula.
My best guess is CHANCE_TO_HIT = WEAP_ACC*(1+PILOT_BONUS)*ENEMY_SIZE_MULTIPLIER - ENEMY_DODGE
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 11:12:20 pm by Scamps »