aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033376 times)

Offline Zum

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3540 on: August 24, 2022, 11:32:44 am »
Best way to take down Hovertank with Gauss Cannon? Shield is not the problem, the tank itself is.
It eats rockets like mcmuffins, EMP surprisingly did nothing in particular.

Offline greattuna

• Colonel
  • No range like point blank range.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3541 on: August 24, 2022, 05:44:51 pm »
After stripping shields, 2-3 HEAT rockets or AT rockets or even MAG rockets would do the trick. You can also fry it with a flamethrower, use R-Rifle on it or throw a couple of EMP grenades (hovertank is weak against EMP, so it's weird that it did nothing).

If you don't want to strip its shields, shoot it with chem until it dies. Might take a while though.

Offline Zum

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3542 on: August 24, 2022, 07:40:41 pm »
After stripping shields, 2-3 HEAT rockets or AT rockets or even MAG rockets would do the trick.
(hovertank is weak against EMP, so it's weird that it did nothing)
Currently it ate 2 Quad launchers on auto, 2 EMP grenades, multiple satchel and dynamites charges, large number of shots from laser and plasma rifles etc. I am surprised too, given how much time it takes for set it all up, because that tank annoyingly flies all over the map.
I guess I'll try chemo and flamethrower, never thought of that, thanks.

Offline Apocca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3543 on: August 25, 2022, 03:48:46 pm »
After shields, melee does also surprising well.

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3544 on: September 10, 2022, 11:31:40 pm »
Why in the hell do MAG and Gauss attacks set people on fire and make this silly sound like a hot piece of metal sinking into the snow?

Super high velocity projectiles should blow straight through opponents, the system doesn't allow for overpenetration, but the actual results should probably be a high amount of Stun and Fatal Wounds to overstate the initial damage due to shock.

Dont see how that's going to set somebody on fire though.
Possibly a throwback to very early iterations of the mod?

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3545 on: September 11, 2022, 06:48:34 pm »
Aren't Gauss and MAG weaponry supposed to shoot projectiles so fast that they start to burn in Earth's atmosphere, thus sometimes igniting flammable fur/clothing/whatever?

« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 06:50:20 pm by JustTheDude/CABSHEP »

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3546 on: September 11, 2022, 11:05:44 pm »
Not really, they would be meteor-hot but you wouldn't be exposed to that heat long enough for it to do anything. The damage would all be kinetic. If the velocity is high enough (like 50km per sec) it would actually turn to plasma and cause explosive damage like a bolter round detonating inside somebody. More or less Laser damage since thats what a high powered laser is going to do. I understand why lasers would set things on fire, but Gauss/MAG should not.

Also for uber high velocity weapons like that to exist, you need to use a moderate strength laser first to plow a path through the air for the projectile to travel down. Otherwise it explodes as soon as it leaves the barrel. It would be a laser the Air is resistive to such as blue or ultraviolet.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 11:07:58 pm by RSSwizard »

Offline TTex

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3547 on: September 12, 2022, 05:27:46 am »
I have looked all over and I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

During a base defense mission against sky ninjas on my main base, I keep encountering these random explosions that I cannot for the life of me figure out the cause of. There's usually a purplish cloud and an alarm-like sound followed by a seemingly random explosion big or small that hits either me or the enemy or both.

It's kind of infuriating because I can't find any information on what it is so I can deal with it, and it's sabotaging what SHOULD be successful defense missions against the sky ninjas when it wipes out scores of my troops at random.

Offline Gremlion

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3548 on: September 12, 2022, 02:41:45 pm »
So, purple-ish with an alarm happens around your slaves/workers, they spawn sleeping and eventually wake up. Though I never experienced any damage from those.
Ninjas, though, have an invisible unit which drops a portable nuke on becoming unconscious/dead, and this explosion can wipe out the room easily. The only way to prevent it from explosion is to pick the bomb up (and you can only hold it in hands, can't disarm either). I think on the second difficulty there are 3-4 of those suicide bombers

Offline Fugazza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3549 on: September 12, 2022, 04:32:23 pm »
I have looked all over and I can't seem to find the answer to this question.

During a base defense mission against sky ninjas on my main base, I keep encountering these random explosions that I cannot for the life of me figure out the cause of. There's usually a purplish cloud and an alarm-like sound followed by a seemingly random explosion big or small that hits either me or the enemy or both.

It's kind of infuriating because I can't find any information on what it is so I can deal with it, and it's sabotaging what SHOULD be successful defense missions against the sky ninjas when it wipes out scores of my troops at random.

Some patches ago, Ninja parties bring Assassins (those dressed as The Gimp in "Pulp Fiction"). Those goddamn ladies have a VERY nasty explosive armed in their inventories. If you kill an assassin you have until the end of turn to get the eff out or pickup the explosive

Could be that. The explosive itself is big as a X-Grog Keg. Can't remember the name right now

Oh!!! Also, it could be the Doomsday Device thingamajig (It goes boom like in turn 15 when you're defending a base) ! I've never seen in action, tho....

Edit: Typos

Offline TTex

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3550 on: September 12, 2022, 06:27:37 pm »
Some patches ago, Ninja parties bring Assassins (those dressed as The Gimp in "Pulp Fiction"). Those goddamn ladies have a VERY nasty explosive armed in their inventories. If you kill an assassin you have until the end of turn to get the eff out or pickup the explosive

Could be that. The explosive itself is big as a X-Grog Keg. Can't remember the name right now

Finally! That seems to be the source of the problem and now I know how to deal with it. I don't mind all the surprises in this game but it's more than a little annoying that there was NO hint about the behavior of these assassins when they die in this scenario. I'd even captured one earlier and done an examination on her and there was not even a hint of this anywhere.

Offline Hadza

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3551 on: September 13, 2022, 01:45:09 pm »
Finally! That seems to be the source of the problem and now I know how to deal with it. I don't mind all the surprises in this game but it's more than a little annoying that there was NO hint about the behavior of these assassins when they die in this scenario. I'd even captured one earlier and done an examination on her and there was not even a hint of this anywhere.

Afaik there is a bootypedia entry for that particular explosive, but I'm not sure if you can get it early enough

Offline Apocca

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3552 on: September 13, 2022, 02:27:45 pm »
First time I figured out you can research ICMB but you need to have Armory Tower for that :D

Offline RSSwizard

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3553 on: September 14, 2022, 01:25:54 am »
Oh interesting... this slipped my mind for quite awhile but I just noticed that Electric Damage inflicts Full Power on Blue Shields.

Heck the Shiny Niner alone is like a can opener for that (80 damage) as well as maybe somebody with a Compact Carbine (RCF). Then a couple Stasis grenades  and maybe some stun minibombs... and academy or guildmasters will be down.

Up til now ive been relying on Plasma Pistols and Subrifles to brute force them.

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3554 on: September 19, 2022, 01:19:13 pm »
If you want blue stripping, you can use an Arena Slaughter cannon, it eats shields up VERY fast.