Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033623 times)

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #3390 on: February 14, 2022, 10:51:13 pm »
Hi everyone, here with a curious question about the Scorpion.

I was thinking about a Red Codex run and i came to think about the Scorpions unique ability to spawn enemies close to the dropship.

How does this interact with missions where the dropship is not present? Like Ratmen Cache, or Isolated Valley?

It has no effect on these missions.  Its strictly related to the ships footprint on the map... the mapblock that it uses has enemy spawn points close in. 
Other missions, like those you mentioned don't have the ship, thus no close spawnpoints.

Offline Moon_Dew

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: February 15, 2022, 01:34:34 pm »
How do you use those licenses you get from the Theban start to get the actual slaves?

Offline unarmed drifter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: February 15, 2022, 01:50:19 pm »
How do you use those licenses you get from the Theban start to get the actual slaves?

research, then workshop

Offline Ruberto

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: February 17, 2022, 10:59:14 am »
Need help
My base is keep being bombarded by Technocracy missile swarms.
I try to build defenses, but they are bombed out of existence before they finish building; PREDATOR interceptors i send can't catch up with the missile swarms.
What are my options? is technocracy just game mechanic to reign in my recent success, o are there missions I should research to stop their annoying missiles and super-interceptors coming?

Offline Greep

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: February 17, 2022, 12:33:25 pm »
If we're talking non-jack sparrow late game missile strikes, at that stage its better to just build the defenses in each base.  Eventually, they will stop hitting your base for the month and your defenses will stick.  Check this for more details, put defenses in every base:  https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,8460.0.html   vulcans/sams are pretty attainable by that point

Basically, it's the event is a 50/50 chance each month to barrage one of your bases a few times (I've seen 1-6 barrages, so I have no clue what it's supposed to be by this point), and the 50/50 chance each month only shuts off when you uncover a lot of the technocracy plot stuff.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2022, 12:38:04 pm by Greep »

Offline Delian

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: February 18, 2022, 01:59:44 pm »
Under what conditions are you able to detect enemy craft outside your radar range?

Offline Iazo

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: February 18, 2022, 02:16:23 pm »
If they're HKs, you have a 50% chance to find them outside your radar range

Offline Empereurraf

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: February 19, 2022, 06:18:15 pm »
Hey folks, I am a bit block, am quite far in the game, got the voo doo school unlock but am not having enough space in my main hold out, so i was thinking of replace one of my small vault for a armored vault.

The issue is i can't find it in my construction menu and i don't know if this is a bug or am just blind.

Offline Ultimoos

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: February 19, 2022, 08:10:04 pm »
You need to research "heavy duty construction". You need a broken guild engeneer and some pre back to school research for that.

Offline Empereurraf

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: February 19, 2022, 10:15:45 pm »
Huuh, alrighty, Thanks time to do some more research and find some poor guild enginer to interrogate.

Offline GENVOKE

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: February 20, 2022, 08:58:12 pm »
Any tips on taking down those 14mm Chaingun Turrets the Sky Ninnies have? Getting kinda tired mortaring it ~8 times while hiding  :'(

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: February 21, 2022, 02:11:55 am »
Mortar is a good option, it's simply a question of how many shells can you move from the loot pile to the mortar operator. It is genuinely a slow process, so starting the bombardment with one or two chem shells can speed things along.

EMP grenades, minibombs and even the superconductive cannonball can slowly and safely do the job from behind cover.

Direct fire weapons can be suicide; the turret will always begin the turn with a reaction score of 35, which is enough to react on any of your soldiers who fire sniper rifles or heavy weapons. Attacking at night will prevent it from reacting if you're hiding in darkness, then it's just a question of finding ninjas in the dark.

Never end your turn out in the open as the turret has sniper AI, regardless if it's a night mission or not. On the enemy turn it can absolutely attack anyone not hiding behind solid cover and LoF blocking terrain.

Offline Whatifred

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: February 22, 2022, 09:30:45 am »
Anyone know if/where you can acquire "Zortrium crystal?"

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3403 on: February 22, 2022, 11:35:27 am »

As far as I know, they can be found in Shadowrealms.

Offline Earthquake

• Captain
  • Glory to Ukraine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: February 22, 2022, 12:25:42 pm »
Shadowrealm.
Two pieces of them you can acquire during "Mage villa" mission, and when you storm Canadian Palace