aliens

Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033986 times)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #2970 on: April 13, 2021, 09:54:17 pm »
The description is "Effectivity: by what factor Resistance is improved between current value and Boundary", so the question is how "improved" is applied.

It should be a simple question whether the resist modifier replaces the armor resist, is multiplicative with the armor resist, or subtracts from the armor resist. I haven't looked into the script, and don't have a copy of the mod data here at work.   My suspicion, based on the combination of gym-suit clad gals wearing a ushanka (who still take noticeable stun, but no longer take HP damage), is that the value is multiplicative with the armor, which also makes the most sense with the text description.  But I haven't done enough testing to confirm that.

It is a multiplier applied to the base multiplier value from the armor, unless the floor is reached in which case floor is used.

As i understand it if you used a gas mask on an armor with 400% base it would be reduced too, 400% X .3=120%. This is higher then the floor of 50% so 120% is used.

It is moderately more complex then this because of the maths to make floor and multipliers work in a single function. But close nuff player needs.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 09:57:17 pm by legionof1 »

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: April 16, 2021, 07:26:32 pm »
Today's little question - with regard to Dojo training, how does it increment their skills?  1 pt at some interval (daily?) to all skills not maxed out? Random point(s) added?  Just got those built and gals assigned to them. 

I'm about to complete my first game-year, and just found an alien base.  Deciding whether or not I can take it out.  :)  Best armor I have is chainmail or tactical armor, doing pretty well on weapon collection/research, so I think my firepower is in decent shape.  Although, I did run from some mercenaries, figured they were too much for me (but I made their craft take off).

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: April 16, 2021, 09:22:51 pm »
Training is random, and defo not daily. Stats raise up to what Facility allows, and if no limit then up to soldier type caps. Incremental in various intervals (a week maybe?). I believe diminishing returns are in play so the closer to the cap you get the less and less point are earned. Probably not 100% true but not that far from the real thing I hope.
Personally I avoided training facilitates because it takes too long (& too much) to achieve too little. They might as well earn XP in battle together with condemnations. You could even mass-hire solders and sack those with crappy stats to better (and quicker) jumpstart things that way. The only exception is VooDoo training facility because since L8 it is only possible to raise V.Skill above 0 in that way. Once there you can use regular weapons/tools to train it further. After that there are far better uses for eternally limited base space.

For hideout assaults you need to devise a reliable method to kill targets with 100 armor (handful of these in Guild bases). In my first assault I went against Academy (easiest enemy) using only Manstoppers and few lowly explosives. It was painful but doable using excessive save/load trials, until I encountered a Provost. Needed Godly RNG using heaviest explosives I had at the time for that mtf. Infantry Laser I'd consider a minimum without the savescumming.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: April 16, 2021, 10:30:04 pm »
Yeah, I'll probably wait, still mostly using "gunpowder" weapons instead of energy.  I think the heaviest thump I can bring would be recoilless rifle, and RPGs, although a few of my gals do a lot of damage with AP sniper or magnums.  Got a couple of light cannons & LACCs, and some random laser weapons, but haven't used them with no ammo supply chain yet.  Probably need to learn chem rounds soon.  Right now, trying to push to space because I've already had one "disturbing transmission" and I have no space capability.  I did get some space suits out of lucky drops (containers or gambling, not sure where), think I have 3 for gals and 1 or 2 for humans.  Still trying to research to hyperwave decoders as well.

Thanks for the Dojo info.

Offline MemoryTAS

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: April 16, 2021, 10:49:08 pm »
The weapons used in bases are a lot worse than you've been dealing with up to this point probably, last I checked they were rolling around with plenty of gauss which is what the mercs mainly use.

Dojos I do use even if they're not the fastest xp method just to train units I might not use as often or fragile.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: April 16, 2021, 11:11:54 pm »
Recoilless was my main cure for everything armored until Durandal Cannon (paired with JUGGERNAUT) and then Heavy Laser. Just make sure not to waste any precious bullets on blue shield if you encounter any. At least 3 soldiers using them would suffice if used on proper targets. Regular gunpowder weapons are good enough to handle up to 50 armored folk.
I was also worried about using weapons without ammo supply (I'm kind of guy that hoards health potions for when I 'really' need em) but rest assured enemy Hideout assaults justify spending some rare clips. You'll always find backups on the field, maybe not of exact same type because there's so many, but of comparable power. So yeah, don't hoard like I did :)

Since TAS mentioned protection - yeah it's a real PITA. Lots of powerful weapons in enemy bases and nothing to offset the damage. There are few techniques to exploit regarding reaction fire, such as using Dogs as cannon fodder or side-stepping into enemy FOV but I find those more gimmicky and unfun than good ol' save/load. Dunno what to tell ya, I ain't the best guy to give protection advice, just bring more worthless meat shields than you normally would and setup reaction fire ambushes? Hideouts are PITA by design but still a cake walk compared to TFTD 2nd stage 4th dimensional labyrinths (until you hit last stage of Winter Palace where XPZ takes the throne back).

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2976 on: April 17, 2021, 02:28:17 am »
Today's little question - with regard to Dojo training, how does it increment their skills?  1 pt at some interval (daily?) to all skills not maxed out? Random point(s) added?  Just got those built and gals assigned to them. 
snip

Dojo training roll once each day for each affected stat. The chance is based on current stat vs training cap. The closer the less chance. If the roll is a sucess the soldier gains 1-3 in the stat. Not all attributes can be trained. What stats are trained and to what limit is detailed in the dojo pedia entry.

Offline Dogbarian

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: April 17, 2021, 11:00:26 pm »
Dojo training roll once each day for each affected stat. The chance is based on current stat vs training cap. The closer the less chance. If the roll is a sucess the soldier gains 1-3 in the stat. Not all attributes can be trained. What stats are trained and to what limit is detailed in the dojo pedia entry.

Cool, thanks!  Yeah, I had read the entry, and I've got a number of folks already over limit on some stats.  Right now, I have newer gals and then peasants, Locks, and slave soldiers training up.

Offline Dannysaysnoo

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: April 18, 2021, 03:13:22 am »
hey, I'm about a year and a half into the game, and only just unlocked craft weapon manufacturing stuff. Is that normal? Fast? Slow? I really don't know how long it takes to get things done in this.

Offline aku

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: April 18, 2021, 09:07:35 pm »
hey, I'm about a year and a half into the game, and only just unlocked craft weapon manufacturing stuff. Is that normal? Fast? Slow? I really don't know how long it takes to get things done in this.
Pretty much normal for first playthrough. Slow for subsequent ones. When I played for the first time it took me like 2.5 years to unlock basic hunter-killers because I never thought that crucial tech for that would be hidden behind some mutant goblin mythos.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: April 19, 2021, 05:46:41 am »
Yeah sounds about average to me. You can be say 8-10 months faster if the stars align. But most of the time some thing slows down the whole complex process. Maybe you miss a stapler, or shadowmasters or any of the other half dozen RNG gates. 

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: April 20, 2021, 10:56:20 am »
Is there hard-coded limit on how many specific ranks you can have?

For example 1 Queen is allowed (same as in vanilla, 1 max rank allowed) that is known. But I cannot advance past 62 Princesses, even though criteria should be met. I say 'should' because the promotion limits have been broken beyond what should be possible but I still got them. Would need 3200 soldiers to allow for all ranks I currently have yet I only have 2100.  Every other soldier who participated in battles has rank of Mistress. The rest are filler Peasants, temporarily bough to inflate numbers and allow promotion spree. Even though numbers don't check out I still kept receiving Mistress promotions. Maybe it could go on indefinitely (just need put new soldiers in battle), or engine stopped caring due to large numbers, or Queen/Princesses/Mistresses count as lower ranks too so ranks feed themselves. Hell if I know.

Hmm just realized, new Princess promotion is blocked because it'd spawn another Queen? Criteria is met but forbidden. Interesting.

The reason I asked was because I wanted to have all my 64 Gals Princess'd. But during the promotion spree 4 best Lokk'Naars apparently had higher promotion score than 4 worst Gals and took their ranks. Didn't know about the 62 limit at the time. Fakk'Naars!

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: April 21, 2021, 04:36:21 am »
the limits are as hard the .rulz files make em. And you do tend to get a little top heavy over time, because the bounds are only verified like once or twice. No demotion when total troops size later drops.

Offline Nilex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: April 21, 2021, 05:35:01 am »
Yeah I looked in rules but didn't find anything so I assumed limits are hard coded via custom OXCE executable (among other things). I'll see if I can break 62 limit using same technique (mass hiring Peasants again after I sack em). Really love how the engine flexes under manipulation for those who are willing to push. Btw, if limits are in .rul could you tell me where to look?

Offline legionof1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: April 21, 2021, 06:17:03 am »
Sorry i don't know precisely, but almost has to be in there somewhere. Like 69 for queen and limit 1 queen is not vanilla, so the mod files are responsible someplace.