Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1033305 times)

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1560 on: May 06, 2019, 09:32:54 pm »
I always have some poisoned arrows and blades for the mercs's ass. But how to trash their tanks?

Offline Marza

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: May 06, 2019, 11:22:41 pm »
Mercenary hovertanks are incredibly hard nuts to crack. You'll want a really big gun or EMP, either will require investment into research and manufacturing.

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: May 06, 2019, 11:34:07 pm »
MAG Rockets will probably do the trick. But then again, you need to research those.

Offline JamTheDane

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1563 on: May 07, 2019, 12:10:09 am »
I just ran into one....i gave it 8 hellerium grenades, some meelee, a lot of normal guns, all of which did almost nothing. Then i went with 2 laser weapons, which finally cracked it. And yes, i save scummed like hell to be able to do this. But it was that or run away from a progrom.

Offline sambojin

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1564 on: May 07, 2019, 07:03:46 am »
With a minimum of 80 armour (usually you'll be hitting 110 or 100) I tend to fall back onto the old faithful, the assault cannon. It might be a 40/60 on whether you'll do any damage, but when you do, it might be a pretty big lump of it.

There's a slight possibility of 4-shotting them from beneath, though you're probably better to assume 8-10 hits with solid cannonballs to take them out. Not usually a huge problem to get your hands on that sort of firepower (I tend to carry 3+ of them at most times early on, just because they're so versatile. The reloads are horrible though)

Big edit: darn, they've got a fair bit of resistance too. Meaning lots more cannonballs needed. Sorry. I must have damaged my one a bit earlier. The greater range does make it a lot safer than grenades though.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 10:21:02 am by sambojin »

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: May 07, 2019, 11:15:29 am »
TYVM, ppl. An Asssult Cannon? Like that from the beginning of the game? Hm... Yea, I'll nake some. Theu have all kinds of ammo. And the h-tank is sensitive to superconducting ones, right? If so, I know what I do next, heh-heh-heh:) I can also offer it a really assorted selestion of recoilless rifles, RPGs, rocket launchers, advanced rocket launchers... SVP, Monsieur Tank, voulez Vous munchez moi rocketez..?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 11:18:44 am by Alex the KatanaCutlass »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: May 07, 2019, 06:23:07 pm »
I found out that 65mm tank with hellerium shells works wonders against Hover Tanks. Try this one.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: May 07, 2019, 07:29:17 pm »
So, a question about supplemental resistance items:

Are they multiplying the armor multipliers, or are they being added to them?

For instance a Space Towel states that it reduces temperature effects by 1/5th. Is that doing Heat/Cold *.80, or -20?

I had originally believed that it was additive, and that you would want to stack them on armor that already had good resists in those areas, but I'm starting to think that they're multiplicative, and given the nature of XCOM's resists, they're actually more effective on armor which has an issue with that resistance. (I still love towels in general for the early morale regen)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: May 07, 2019, 07:42:08 pm »
But I'm starting to think that they're multiplicative, and given the nature of XCOM's resists, they're actually more effective on armor which has an issue with that resistance.

This is correct and is the intended use of such items: shoring up glaring holes in your damage modifiers. The actual formula is more complex in that there are diminishing returns on stacking multiple defensive items, but in general the worse your starting resistances, the more the items will help you.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: May 08, 2019, 01:33:34 am »
This is correct and is the intended use of such items: shoring up glaring holes in your damage modifiers. The actual formula is more complex in that there are diminishing returns on stacking multiple defensive items, but in general the worse your starting resistances, the more the items will help you.

I suspected there would be built in diminishing returns since ( 100 * 0.8 ) * 0.8 will not be a 40% improvement. Normally exactly why you never allow stacking multiplicative buffs, but the math takes care of itself when you're going the other way. Thanks!

One other thing I forgot:

Warrior armor has a trait "Large Target", which as far as I know isn't a flag or anything in OXCE. It also doesn't have any obvious effects. Is that just indicating that the armor uses a larger loftemp than most trappings, and thus is literally a bigger target?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 01:41:51 am by Devon_v »

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: May 08, 2019, 08:27:11 pm »
It means that warrior armor has a slighty bigger hitbox and this doesn't really matter in the long run. It can only make already very rare shoots that would otherwise miss by a pixel to hit.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:47 am »
Is there a source of animal poison other than giant spiders? I saw spiders exactly once, like in month two before I had any capability to take them on. The only reason I even have the research is that a cannibal told me about it. From what I recall, it was not purchasable at all.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 12:21:08 am by Devon_v »

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: May 09, 2019, 12:40:56 am »
Giant cockeoaches, gambling and also giant scorpions.

Offline Devon_v

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: May 09, 2019, 03:05:09 am »
Giant cockeoaches, gambling and also giant scorpions.

Lol, the two missions which have never spawned in a year and a half. Maybe I'll get lucky spinning the wheel for the 1,500th time. :)

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: May 09, 2019, 04:36:19 am »
thankfully the item itself isn't required for very many productions. the knowledge is more important.