Author Topic: A thread for little questions  (Read 1055034 times)

Offline LadonLegend

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: A thread for little questions
« Reply #1425 on: April 05, 2019, 04:49:34 am »
I've noticed that a couple of bootypedia articles have text that go off screen. Is there any way to view the rest of the text, either in game or by opening a text file?
Edit: More specifically, it was the battle flag article and the information expedition article.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 10:05:49 am by LadonLegend »

Offline Alex the KatanaCutlass

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 05, 2019, 01:08:27 pm »
OK, for those in doubt, and anyone interested:
PLS, ATTENTION. This is a major spoiler, so keep this, please, in mind. Thank you. Basically, the following is a proven landed shipping sacking strategy and general combat tactics, and my take on how to destroy Mercs. So, come, loot with me. OK, the Mercs are...:
Spoiler:
...sensitive to Bio (and Voodoo, said a colleague?) > But 1st thingies 1st.
LANDED CRAFT AS SUCH HOW TO (PLUS MY SO FAR PROVEN COMBAT TACTICS.):
Instead of looking into a crystal ball, get yer Hyperwave Decoders online. 2nd: Get a Snake Assault Transport and a Fighter that can track fast targets. Maybe this works with other transports as well, I dunno...
When the Shipping Detected message appears:
1) see how big it is - so that you can handle YOUR ground assault (the bigger, the meaner);
2) see WHO is it and Ufopedia find their weaknesses with your RL Smartphone as needed (UFOpedia>piratez>faction>their staff (soldiers, commandos...));
3) see WHERE are they going;
4) Go or no go? If yarr, then;
5) send the tracker fighter after them, equip the Snake Crew as necessary (armors can be changed only in the base), and send the Snake after them;
6) the fast tracker should shadow them long enough for your Snake to get there and land in time. Do not forget to anchor your Fighter once when the enemy ship has landed. Don't lose it, the query. Simply, before they land where they wanna land, switch to 5 sec time, quicksave and anchor near them when they land.
7) Begin your ground assault with the Snake. > On the floor where you begin, leave a well and appropriately heavily armed fast Reactions gall to face the Elevator and guard it, cuz the Enemy be sneaky a-sholes. Get the other gals top floor, facing the elevator. Watch it, however, as the enemy can still hit you through the back wall windows on the mid floor AND through the elevator. Let this be your starting position for every turn. End 1st turn. From 2nd turn on, send 1st gal topside, have her turn a full 360 deg circle to discover ell enemies and kill one if you can. Get her back to her starting pose. Now send them one by one topside like this to scout and kill, maybe like - one finds, gets back, another kills, etc, you get the idea. What is important is to end your turn with all gals in your craft. Fight like this until the enemy is weakened enough for you to go after them.

Now, as for Mercs, I do believe this would work, as I still didn't face them like this. It's about the proven weapons that should be deadly for them...

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Mercenary_Soldier_(Piratez)

... so... But 1st the Tactics. The above described should work, maybe with ALL the gals on the top floor. OK, now this is what I do believe you should have ready for a Merc ground fight and how to get it
(LANDED MERCS ONLY!!! NO AIR COMBAT WITH MERCS, OR YOU WILL BE DESTROYED):
Get your poison arrows and hunting bows and hunt them. Mercs in Melee > Make poisoned Daggers. How? > Go on Blood Rituals missions...
(google it ingame: Base > Research> MMB click on a topic > use the "select topic" bar, type what ya wanna know and proceed as needed)
...and loot there Animal Poison. !!!WARNING!!! There be (often) Werewolves! Very melee dangerous, but very fire weak. Get your Flamers and WP (Willie Pete) grenades. Use 2 WPs per customer. (KEEP YA GALS IN PAIRS AND CLOSE!!! Like that, ya should always be able to throw 2 grenades.)> Make poison Daggers with that Animal Poison. These work well on armor, so Megapol and Mercs will be easier, if you Melee> For a Landed Merc Craft assault, make yer crew of Gals with best Throwing and melee, arm them with Hunting bows loaded with poison arrows, (take 2 spare reloads) and Poisoned Daggers and GO DRINK THEIR BLOOD! YYAAAAARRRR!!!

I need a money maker to produce, apart from grog and Chateau. I tried with the heavy Flamer Tanks, but it's not good enough. What do you suggest?

I have raided a landed Church Supply Ship and got a DC Mortar with some baby nukes. Now, upon ending the last turn by killing the last enemy, there was an explosion in the bottom right part and the battle ended. WTH???

I have shot down and raided a Church... GOLD PLATED, I mean Golden Ship? A large one... Almost lost my leading Snake... Got many Gold Bars... I see that I can make some things with them... Is this a late game stuff? Do I sell them, or keep them - for that manufacture or as my gold reserves? Hehheh, do i name my next base "Fort Mutox"..?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:13:07 pm by Alex the KatanaCutlass »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 05, 2019, 01:16:40 pm »
My personal strategy is ignore literally every supply ship. They're the only craft, that i've encountered thus far, that has Mini-nukes, and I always get half my squad blown up. There's a church base right outside my own, and they're pretty easy, their shields don't matter much when I don't have many laser and plasma weapons to begin with, and Chryssalids are tolerable as long as you battle them in the day. But those nukes are just impossible to deal with, especially since the enemy can reaction fire with them.

Someone posted on this, that these are always a menace, even late ingame. But mind you, these are firef from a MORTAR, so that maybe, when you get a flying armor, you would just go sky-high and kill them from up there..? OR, simply end every turn with all crew inside your craft until no enemy is out there/coming out and then charge their ship..?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 01:22:15 pm by Alex the KatanaCutlass »

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 05, 2019, 01:18:52 pm »
Part of the experience is to learn yourself what you need to do now. I suggest going for better armor (Defender) and even Power Armors.

I guess the only thing you can do ingame to "bomb" you is to ignore multiple enemy bases to the point of them sucking all Infamy. Govts one by one emplying "Zero Tolerance Policy" in snowball effect.

Pardon, but wouldn't that be a domino or avalanche effect? One, second, 2 more, 5 more, ALL.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 05, 2019, 02:45:23 pm »
Someone posted on this, that these are always a menace, even late ingame. But mind you, these are firef from a MORTAR, so that maybe, when you get a flying armor, you would just go sky-high and kill them from up there..? OR, simply end every turn with all crew inside your craft until no enemy is out there/coming out and then charge their ship..?

Supply ships have a self destruct timer. This limits how much you can camp in your craft.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 05, 2019, 03:16:51 pm »
It’s fine to let the ship blow up as long as your craft is far away from it. You still get some loot.

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: April 05, 2019, 04:53:15 pm »
About the Mercs, there's plenty of ways to deal with them (some definitely better than others lol), and they're certainly killable even very early in the game.  The main problem with them is that the risk vs reward ratio is horrible, even with end game tech.  It's really hard to deal with them without taking reaction fire, and the shots that don't outright kill your gals are going to put them in the hospital for a long long time.

About the supply ships,  someone on that ship is packing a baby nuke so rushing the ship is risky.  The ship is also on a self destruct timer so camping the ship is pointless.  The loot is great if it doesn't blow up or get nuked along with all your gals.  So again it's the risk vs reward thing being pretty lousy.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 07, 2019, 12:49:22 pm »
I've noticed that a couple of bootypedia articles have text that go off screen. Is there any way to view the rest of the text, either in game or by opening a text file?
Edit: More specifically, it was the battle flag article and the information expedition article.

Yea, those about (enemy) units in Ufopedia also go offscreen, to the left.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 07, 2019, 01:03:11 pm »
Can fire set upon a part of terrain destroy the items dropped there? I mean, If I defend a position with WP and heavy Flamers, the enemies drop like flies, will their loot stay in one piece, OR will it blow up? Hellerium grenades are quite KABOOOMISH.

I am cornered there, but WELL armed... just as alwayz, yarr... Wanna bring the loot home

Offline thevideogameraptorboggle

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 07, 2019, 06:49:46 pm »
It depends on the weapon. Most of the flamers don't destroy items, but the Willie Pete does.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 08, 2019, 10:50:11 am »
YARR!

I have sacked my 1st enemy base and my 1st SUPPLY SHIP, AND AN INTACT ONE!. How? I dunno, I just set 2 snipers topside to cover my advance teams and went into battle. All the enemies were outside. One of them, an Osiron Sec, DID have a strange weapon, kinda as is wrapped in a blue cloth. Maybe that's the DC Mortar? Dunno. Anyway, He didn't use it, we didn't let him. My Bloodhounds found him and my Magnum Gals gave him a 3rd eye. That that shows the future, they say:) But the loot was quite skinny, maybe 1/4th of what we find in another landed large ship. Bah. Maybe it was a SPIRITUAL Supply Ship:)

Questions:

1)I have made the Guerilla outfit and tried it in battle, but apart from bigger carrying capacity... What are its other advantages, anyway? I remember someone posting that he researches armor till Guerilla and Chainmail and and, after that he doesn't do any armor research till very late in the game? Do you prefer Guerilla, or Assassin? Or both? Guerilla is about camo, but I kinda don't get it...
2) I have a Killgun and 4 Smartguns. Woud you use these..?

3) Need a better moneymaker. Chateau is good, is there something better early ingame? I hear about
Spoiler:
counterfeiting?

4) How long can an enemy base stay around without disrupting your infamy? Does the location matter? I have one in Arctic, NW Groenland.

5) Would Mercs retaliate if we attack/destroy their base?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:10:49 am by Alex the KatanaCutlass »

Offline Zippicus

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: April 08, 2019, 03:06:50 pm »
1.  Armor is a bit tricky, I generally tailor the armor to the gal and use all sorts of different setups, at least during the early and mid game phases.  Melee gals get melee boosting armor, heavy weapon gals get armor with lots of inventory slots, voodoo gals get voodoo armor, etc.

2. I'm not sure on the killguns, but yeah smartguns are great to have on a couple gals, especially if you research and produce plastasteel ammo.

3. IMO counterfeiting, while profitable, is a huge waste of time.  I like to keep it simple and just expand my production capabilities for booze at dedicated production bases.

4. Enemy bases start hurting your infamy right away, how long you can tolerate it depends on how well you're doing on all your other missions.  I generally try to take them out as soon as I think I'm able.  Some people like to leave them around to go after the monthly supply ships.

5.  No, destroying an enemy base doesn't cause any kind of retaliation check.

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 08, 2019, 08:25:24 pm »
Plasma Spitter is the last thing I need for X-Gauss. I'm guessing that it's a enemy craft weapon.

Offline JustTheDude/CABSHEP

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 08, 2019, 11:46:20 pm »
Merc Hovertank is ridiculous. I shoot everything I got and I couldn't even break the shield. Multiple 25mm Armored Car hits, mortar fire, Panzerfausts, anti-armor melee, nothing works. Any tips?

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 09, 2019, 12:39:06 am »
Merc Hovertank is ridiculous. I shoot everything I got and I couldn't even break the shield. Multiple 25mm Armored Car hits, mortar fire, Panzerfausts, anti-armor melee, nothing works. Any tips?

Do you have Plasma Rockets?