aliens

Author Topic: hwps with inventory  (Read 4322 times)

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
hwps with inventory
« on: March 04, 2017, 08:36:10 am »
alright so I have a crazy one.

is it possible to have an HWP with an inventory?

like a large humanoid robot that has the ability to use normal sized weapons still counts as an HWP for the count but is in the equipment screen? crazy I know. I've seen most aspects of this but not all.

thanks

HH

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: hwps with inventory
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 02:07:39 pm »
I'm not sure if it can be done now - it used to cause problems before with their equipment vanishing after a battle and such. Could've been fixed by now.
But why not make it another soldier type? You can disable training and gaining experience by them, if you like, and in OXCE+ you can also prevent them from piloting craft (so they need human company). I think it's just easier to do.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 06:31:30 pm »
That is a solution I've been playing with. Nothing serious, but I was simply curious.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 11:37:18 am »
Separate but related question. There is no way to access the inventory screen for a terror unit (when under MC) is there? You can for other aliens, but can't for even 1 title terror units like Chyrsallids. Wasn't sure if this is a hard coded setting or something that could be changed in rulesets.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 02:59:28 pm »
It is settable per ruleset. (At least in OXCE+, not sure about vanilla.)

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 03:37:10 pm »
In vanilla too.

Code: [Select]
  - type: CHRYSSALID_ARMOR
    spriteSheet: CHRYS.PCK
    allowInv: false

PS: In OXCE+, you can display "inventory lite" (also called "alien inventory") even for units with disabled inventory; by middle-clicking on the unit. It will show only what's in hands, and ignore the rest of the inventory.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 05:41:41 pm »
In vanilla too.

Code: [Select]
  - type: CHRYSSALID_ARMOR
    spriteSheet: CHRYS.PCK
    allowInv: false

PS: In OXCE+, you can display "inventory lite" (also called "alien inventory") even for units with disabled inventory; by middle-clicking on the unit. It will show only what's in hands, and ignore the rest of the inventory.
Thanks Meridian! I didn't know that was an option (it's not in the Ruleset wiki page).

So it half works. You can access the inventory of a terror unit if you go to one of your soldier's inventories and cycle through until you get to the terrorist. However, you still can't access the terror unit's inventory by simply clicking the inventory button like you would for a regular soldier or mind controlled alien (the inventory button on the battlescape is disable when you have the terror unit selected). Is this just the way it is for terror units or is there another Ruleset option? (I just added allowInv: true.) Thanks again.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 05:48:15 pm »
For some reason, it is disabled for terrorist units, see attached.
Don't know why.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 07:59:50 am »
Okay, thanks for looking into it. It's still cool there is a roundabout way of accessing it.

Don't know why.
Maybe they didn't want Chryssalids (or Cyberdiss) to be able to use weapons or throw grenades? Although if "allowInv" is set to false, then the extra code seems unnecessary. I wonder if it was disabled for terror units back before "allowInv" was a ruleset attribute option, and that line of code was never changed after it was added. It almost seems to defeat the purpose a little bit to have that "allowInv" option that you can change to true, but still not actually let you access the inventory. Although there could be other thoughts behind it for custom units or something that I just don't know.

EDIT: I thought about this some more and I doubt the devs added in this option with the intention that you couldn't use the inventory button for a terror unit, but you could access the inventory through this workout around method. Either they intended for the button to work (optimal given the general consensus here) or didn't intend for you to be able to access it through this workaround; one of them was a mistake so I filed a bug report here: https://openxcom.org/bugs/openxcom/issues/1330

It's a little funny, the original game didn't allow you to access alien inventories at all, but there was a bug where you could by cycling through your own troops' inventories and it could potentially crash the game. Is it possible this was the devs' giving a shout out to the original? (joking)  ;)