Author Topic: [Suggestion] complex UFO crash damage  (Read 2905 times)

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
[Suggestion] complex UFO crash damage
« on: February 23, 2017, 05:27:27 pm »
Hi guys (specifically Meridian, Yankes, and ohartenstein23),

I suggested something similar way back before OXCE+, but now I think it might be possible, so I'll suggest it again: Would it be possible to change the way the battlescape is generated for crashed UFOs, depending on (for example) the amount of excess damage it received, the speed it was traveling at when it crashed and the weapon that was used to shoot it down?
I'm thinking that the flat-out "75% chance of Power Source exploding" is nice and simple, but we could add a little more flavor to the game.

Examples:
- UFO was shot down using a machine gun: after Battlescape is generated (but before battle starts), apply lots of very small shots to outer hull, creating dents and scratches
    vs.
- UFO was shot down using Fusion Ball: after Battlescape is generated (but before battle starts), apply one big explosion to randomly selected side of UFO, possibly tearing a large chunk out of the UFO

- UFO crashed while hovering: nothing special
    vs.
- UFO crashed while cruising at high speed: after Battlescape is generated (but before battle starts), apply a line of explosions from the UFO extending to border of battlescape, creating a crash path. also apply damage to opposite outer hull of UFO.

- UFO was shot down using "EMP"-weapon: chance of power source exploding very small
    vs.
- UFO was shot down using Fusion Ball: chance of power source exploding very high

I'm sure there's more we could think of. Do you think this would be possible at all?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2018, 03:21:18 pm by Meridian »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: suggestion: complex UFO crash damage
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 05:37:06 pm »
The ones that include just conditions, probabilities and (existing types of) explosions are doable.

The ones that involve custom graphics (e.g. dents and scratches) are not so easy.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 06:09:53 pm »
- UFO crashed while cruising at high speed: after Battlescape is generated (but before battle starts), apply a line of explosions from the UFO extending to border of battlescape, creating a crash path. also apply damage to opposite outer hull of UFO.

That would look pretty cool.

Offline MadHaTr

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 01:10:19 am »
I'm not sure how it all works but I figured you would need some custom graphics tiles and load specific map types for the shot holes and dents, but instead for smaller dmg weapons could it be possible to have the ship shot down missing nav panels and shit like that, cause why would the ship crash with some holes in the hull, unless the pilot died. Though I imagine any of them could just grab the controls and fly.