Author Topic: How to create mods or cover the ufo mods for TFTD?  (Read 12501 times)

Offline drages

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How to create mods or cover the ufo mods for TFTD?
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2017, 12:34:30 am »
Thank you very much!

I tried Nord's way with photoshop because the recoloring is using only UFO template so useless for TFTD.. and to be honest TFTD template looks very retarded compared to UFO..

I made some recoloring on UFO lasers to use them at TFTD and the images don't have any problem at least at inv screen.. so it's a start :)..

I want to work on enemy side too.. there is many nice new alien types ppl created.. i can use them but need to give them some new weapons too. I plan to give them some pre-sonic weapons.. so this could make the game longer.. I plan to create many types of ammo too..

Expanded Gauss Arsenal is a masterpiece about "how to make a weapon tier".. i will try to make it to dart weapons to sonic..

Btw is there a place that i can find every default image as single files somewhere (TFTD) to edit and work on them to use?

An example for TFTD lasers:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2017, 12:36:14 am by drages »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2017, 07:10:15 am »
You can just use BIGOBS.png converted from BIGOBS.PCK, take any part you like and resize image. 32x48.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2017, 10:05:46 am »
Mostly by Photoshop: changing mode from indexed to RGB and then back to indexed with other palette and dithering off. And then manually correcting. A lot of corrections... From this topic:https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2676.0.html i found useful only EvilPixie.
So I'm bumping this because I'm having trouble converting images from UFO palette to TFTD. If you just use the image with no conversion you get funky colors, but when I try using Falko's palette converter here (https://falkooxc2.pythonanywhere.com/spritepalette#) I get a bunch of funky colors anyway (second attachment). How do I convert it to TFTD and have it look right?

I tried using the link Solarius Scorch posted to go from UFO to TFTD_0 but that just gives me a silhouette (first attachment) rather than any colors.

See images attached. Thanks to anyone who can walk me through this. I do have photo shop, so if I need to do it in there I can, but I don't know what this "indexed to RGB and then back" Nord is talking about means.

*Third attachment is the original.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 10:09:30 am by Countdown »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:25 pm »
Can't really check now, but make sure you've chosen the right start and ending palette - for example Battlescape (which also works for inventory paperdolls).

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2017, 11:05:19 pm »
Yes, I selected from ufo-battlescape to tftd-depth0. I wonder if it actually only works for conversions from TFTD to UFO and not the other way around? Because it worked fairly well going from TFTD to UFO (see attached images). And I searched the forum and saw this post by Falko from a long time ago:

2nd tool
here https://falkooxc.pythonanywhere.com/palconvert you can upload a image and convert its colors
at the moment you can only convert images that have "tftd - battlescape"-colors into ufo-battlescape colors

Now that was an old post and I've seen many mods take TFTD graphics to use in UFO. So are people doing it a different way or can it be done with Falko's tool? If there is another way, what is it?

*First attachment - original image, second attachment - converted from TFTD to UFO

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2017, 11:12:44 pm »
Sadly, I've never really worked with TFTD... I think Nord would be the person to ask.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2017, 07:06:30 am »
Thanks anyway Solarius, I figured out how to do it in Photoshop using the palette Nord posted and instructions others had posted elsewhere on the forums. I still don't know if it's possible to go from UFO to TFTD using Falko's tools (I'm thinking it's not), but PhotoShop works well.

drages or Nord, if you read this and it can be done with Falko's tools, let me know how because it works well for going from TFTD to UFO, but not the other way around. Thanks!

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2017, 11:28:52 am »
My attempts to transfer from ufo to tftd with Falko's tools was never successfull. As yours.  :'(