Author Topic: All against all, or against one only.  (Read 4420 times)

Offline alinare

• Colonel
    • View Profile
All against all, or against one only.
« on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:38 am »
Hello
Now that it is possible to create missions with civilians or other armed characters, to fight at your side, would it be feasible to turn them into enemies or allies on the side controlled by the computer, and according to this premise, the two sides controlled by the computer attack To the soldiers of XCOM, or, that the mission, be a "all against all"?. And already imagine,  ;D considering the limitations of the game engine, that you have an ally in a mission, civilians or mutants for example, and if you attack them, defend yourself by attacking you in turn.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: All against all, or against one only.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 01:50:48 pm »
There was some talking in the OXCE+ community to unhardcode relations between the three factions (X-Com, alien and civilians), and possibly add more factions, but it's a complex thing. At least the idea was already proposed, so we'll see.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 11:13:17 pm »
the ally of my enemy is also my enemy.
if you want humans helping the aliens, just define them in the alien deployments, they'll appear as "hostile"
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:45:46 pm by Warboy1982 »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 11:34:45 pm »
There was some talking in the OXCE+ community to unhardcode relations between the three factions (X-Com, alien and civilians), and possibly add more factions, but it's a complex thing. At least the idea was already proposed, so we'll see.

I think the factions are VERY well defined at the moment.

Most of what alinare writes -- depending on exact interpretation -- is already doable now.

The discussion from Solar's wishlist to "unhardcode" and add more factions is quite vague and blurry; definitely needs more thought before it can be taken seriously.
And regardless of that, code-wise this would be a major breaking change, which is explicitly written as not being a goal of OXCE+.
So, before any more discussion and brainstorming arises, I'd like to point out, that the current system of factions will stay unchanged in OXCE+ (most probably forever).
Cosmetic changes are acceptable, but have to fit well with the current system.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2017, 03:38:18 am »
the ally of my enemy is also my enemy.
if you want humans helping the aliens, just define them in the alien deployments, they'll appear as "hostile"

Yes, that's obvious, but it isn't quite enough for some scenarios. Just off the top of my head:
Problem 1) They won't shoot at each other.
Problem 2) You need to kill all of them to end the mission, not just the faction you attack.

Of course these things aren't always important, but sometimes they are.

The discussion from Solar's wishlist to "unhardcode" and add more factions is quite vague and blurry; definitely needs more thought before it can be taken seriously.
And regardless of that, code-wise this would be a major breaking change, which is explicitly written as not being a goal of OXCE+.

Yes, I'm not getting my hopes up or anything. It's not really an important concept to be honest, and I realize it would be a daunting task. But I think at least it's not too ridiculous to discuss.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2017, 03:43:19 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 06:05:38 am »
I can see the appeal of being able to have a three-way battle (instead of 2 vs 1). How else are you going to do Alien vs Predator? :D

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2017, 01:17:45 pm »
I can see the appeal of being able to have a three-way battle (instead of 2 vs 1). How else are you going to do Alien vs Predator? :D

Good point! :) Although my initial idea was to simulate "literally hostile environment": some kind of monsters wandering around, attacking anything they find.
(Ideally with short vision range, bleeding immunity and plenty of HP, which would promote running away from them rather than wasting time on killing them. The objective: capture a hostile leader before s/he gets eaten.)

Of course it could also lead to Apocalypse-like dynamic relations, so if you kill a couple civilians during a mission, they would start shooting at you... But that's even further up in the pipes. It's all more speculations than actual feature requests.

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2017, 07:19:36 pm »
Although my initial idea was to simulate "literally hostile environment": some kind of monsters wandering around, attacking anything they find.
That's a great idea. You could even make it map dependent ... monsters or mutants on some maps or on something like jungle terrain, have dangerous wildlife that attacks aliens and humans.

But I'm also just speculating, not requesting. Having the current feature with civilians that can attack aliens is already really cool.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2017, 07:46:53 pm »
You could have a mission where the player is entering a area in which two or more factions are fighting each other, not all hostile. Just trying to survive the crossfire and some hostiles.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk