Author Topic: [UFO] Reaver's Ground Weapons (Featuring Shadow's Terran Plasma!)  (Read 2665 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 1225
    • View Profile
Mod page: https://www.openxcom.com/mod/reaver-039-s-ground-weapons


Latest Version: 1.1.7
Details and download in reply #3


This mod adjusts the firing accuracy and time unit costs of the weapons as well as their power in slight ways, and then adds several new weapons, primarily including automatic weapons.  The three weapon lines (conventional, laser, and plasma) now all have two pistols, two rifles, and two heavies--one automatic and the other semi-auto. The semi-auto rifles retain an auto shot but it has poor accuracy, while the semi pistols and heavies do not have auto shot.

I've also added a few new ammunition types to your arsenal:
Alien Rockets - after researching alien grenades, you can upgrade your rocket launcher's power significantly
Fusion Rockets - after researching blaster bombs, you can build an extremely powerful rocket

In addition to this, you can manufacture conventional-payload ammunition for both the Small Launcher and the Blaster Launcher.

Aliens use only the semi-automatic weapons, so they're less likely to use auto shots on you, but beware because the power of the Heavy Plasma and Plasma Pistol have been increased!



Shadow's Terran Plasma Weapons
https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,1710.0.html

Shadow released a neat little mod adding Chiko's graphics to the plasma weapons as well as forcing the player to manufacture human-designed variants in order to use them. This makes it significantly more difficult to equip your squad with plasma.

I have incorporated his mod into the plus version of this mod, with a few changes and a twist: you must spend alien plasma weapons in the manufacturing process for terran plasma weapons. Automatic weapons are more expensive: you must spend 2 alien plasma weapons to get 1 automatic weapon. I also used my own values on weapon attributes, sell/manufacture costs, etc. The automatic plasma weapons keep the old graphics, making them look unique from the other plasma weapons, which is nice. In my mod, the terran plasma weapons have the same attributes as the alien plasma weapons.





Some other notable changes:
Manufacturing costs have been tweaked in keeping with my new manufacturing profit model. This will match my other Reaver's X mods.
All of the semi-automatic pistols have been buffed significantly.
The laser weapons are all very accurate but have a lower fire rate. The laser rifle's aimed shot is incredibly accurate.
The heavy weapons have all had their power increased, especially the heavy laser.
The small launcher has a very low snap shot time unit cost, making it possible to fire three times in one turn. The ammunition for it is now cheaper and lighter.

----------

Update carrying some changes:

#   1.0.1: fixed Incendiary Bomb language file discrepancy
#   1.0.2: changed Small Launcher to one handed
#   1.0.3: fixed small launcher ammunition damage types
#   1.1.0: player cannot manufacture alien launchers or their alien ammo
#         terran plasma weapons can be built without researching clips
#         added CanadianBeaver's laser artwork for automatic lasers (awesomeguns-laser)
#   1.1.1: added original art for the laser pistol and heavy laser (RedBlueLasers)
#         gave the laser rifle art a scope
#   1.1.2: reduced laser pistols' aimed shot TU cost and accuracy
#         reduced the plasma pistols' aimed shot TU cost and increased the accuracy
#   1.1.3: added ufopedia entries for alien and fusion rockets
#   1.1.4: fixed heavy laser floorob to look more like the bigob

Most important changes: aside from adding more art made by myself and CanadianBeaver, I've done bug fixes, balance tweaks, and made the small launcher one-handed. Make sure you try it out! I've tried to keep the base version (GWeapons) updated, but it may have bugs. The bonus art version (GWeaponsPlus) is what I have put the most time into polishing.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 07:35:31 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

niculinux

  • Guest
Re: Reaver's Ground Weapons (Featuring Shadow's Terran Plasma!)
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2015, 04:03:16 pm »
Yummy!!!  :D Some screenshots also would be appriciated  :D

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 1225
    • View Profile
Re: Reaver's Ground Weapons (Featuring Shadow's Terran Plasma!)
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:37:57 pm »
Yummy!!!  :D Some screenshots also would be appriciated  :D

Here's a couple screenies for ya:





This is the fusion rocket.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

  • Commander
  • *****
  • Posts: 1225
    • View Profile
Re: [UFO] Reaver's Ground Weapons (Featuring Shadow's Terran Plasma!)
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2017, 07:14:10 am »
I've made some updates to this mod and fixed some bugs, details and downloads posted in the OP. Here's another screenshot for you guys.




1.1.7 Update:
This update is kind of a big deal. I was using plasma rifles and plasma machineguns quite a bit and I have noticed that the high-accuracy snap shots on those plasma rifles just aren't very exciting when it often fails to kill a snakeman or ethereal in one hit. Those usually take 2-3 hits to go down, same with other medium-toughness aliens. I also noted that my power-armored soldiers were virtually impervious to the plasma rifle.

I did some calculations and found that the plasma rifle with 80 power (TFTD damage model) has a 62.5% chance of dealing any damage to a flying suit in the rear (70 armor), or only 12.5% chance of any damage to power suit in the front (110 armor). I increased the damage to 90 which gives it 72.2% chance on flying suit rear, or 27.8% chance on power suit front. I haven't tested it in-game yet but it should make this weapon significantly more dangerous. Plasma machinegun was working pretty good so I just increased it from 70 to 75.

It makes sense. In making the plasma rifle the primary weapon, I'd just assumed it would be powerful enough, though with vanilla settings the heavy plasma was really the only weapon to use. The difference between 80 and 115 is huge when you consider armor. Now it's even greater with the buffed heavy plasma in this mod at 130. I often have a power armor soldier die in 1 hit to the chest. They hit like sonic cannons!

edit: I tested the change against some snakemen, ethereals, and mutons. An entire supply ship worth of snakemen went down in one hit each (two went unconscious). The ethereals usually went down in 2 hits, some in 3 and one went unconscious in a single hit. The first muton died in 3 hits, the second was unconscious in 2. Several of my own soldiers also went down in 1-2 hits from plasma rifle though one survived 6 shots in a row. I'd say it's working much better now!


I also got rid of some rather large resource files that weren't even being used. Plus file is once again a reasonable size:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 10:53:00 am by The Reaver of Darkness »