aliens

Author Topic: No data file present in Openxcom (needed for Awesome Guns Mod)  (Read 2979 times)

Offline Iron Sights

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
No data file present in Openxcom (needed for Awesome Guns Mod)
« on: February 06, 2017, 09:36:23 pm »
I have been having issues trying to get any downloaded mods to work (they never show in the mods list).
I'm using the openxcom install over the latest steam version.
Windows 7
I recently tried the Final ModPack and so decided to try the Awesome Guns Mod.

However the install instructions call for putting it in the:

Copy the extracted Ruleset/AwesomeGuns.rul file into your openxcom/data/Ruleset folder.
Copy the extracted Resources/AwesomeGuns folder into your openxcom/data/Resources folder.
(then I have to add the patch)

Looking in my Openxcom folder there is no data file present.
Should I add one manually? Or is there something in the game should be doing to add it and thus my manual adding would be futile?

Help appreciated
~Iron Sights

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Re: No data file present in Openxcom (needed for Awesome Guns Mod)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 09:55:07 pm »
Awesome Guns is built on the milestone (1.0) release, and has a different set of instructions for installation than the latest nightly version of openxcom (OXC).  I would strongly suggest not trying to mix these two mods.

Are you trying to install the 1.0 or the latest nightly version of OXC?  For FMP to work, you should be using the nightly, and should either create a standalone installation or completely remove any traces of OXC 1.0 from your computer before trying to proceed.

When the latest nightly version installs and you run the game for the first time, there should be an openxcom/user/mods folder - this is where you place the FMP folder and any other mods you want to use.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 09:56:24 pm »
Which OpenXcom version are you using?
1.0 or nightly?

1.0 contains the data folder; nightly doesn't (format has changed).

Unfortunately Awesome Guns Mod author was very stubborn and didn't want to upgrade the mod to nightly... but you can try using 1.0 if you wish.

Also: regardless of 1.0 or nightly... if you're trying to put mods into Windows protected directories (e.g. Program Files) and you're not doing it with administrator rights... they won't actually be copied there, but somewhere completely else... so either use admin rights, or install into non-protected directory. More info: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5031.msg73850.html#msg73850

When the latest nightly version installs and you run the game for the first time, there should be an openxcom/user/mods folder - this is where you place the FMP folder and any other mods you want to use.

On windows (using nightly), that will actually be %Documents%/OpenXcom/mods folder
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 09:59:31 pm by Meridian »

Offline Iron Sights

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:21:27 am »
Ok.....this issue is part of a MUCH bigger on.
I have to open a whole new thread.
Thanks all

Devs please lock this