Author Topic: AI's priority in Alien Deployments?  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
AI's priority in Alien Deployments?
« on: February 06, 2017, 05:25:55 am »
Hey guys, I'm having trouble figuring out how to write the weapons "data" in Alien Deployments  ??? So I have a few questions regarding the AI's priorities!

1. If you give the AI a grenade along with a double-handed weapon, would the AI thoughtlessly hold both together at the same time? Or is grenade placed in the belt or elsewhere until the AI deems necessary?
For example:
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_GRENADE

2. Now if I were to give the AI an extra melee weapon (see below) would the grenade ever be used? I'm guessing the knife would be taken first and held in the other hand and the grenade would be stored away in belt?
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_KNIFE
            - STR_GRENADE

3. Does the order in which you write it even matter? If I moved the grenade up, would that mean the grenade has the bigger priority and the knife will never be used?
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_ASSAULT_RIFLE_CLIP
            - STR_GRENADE
            - STR_KNIFE

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
Re: AI's priority in Alien Deployments?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 08:13:37 pm »
1: aliens keep grenades on their belt (or elsewhere) until they decide to use them, at which point they throw them. they do not at any point physically put the grenade in the unit's hand, although they pay time units as though they did.

2: yes, enemies will make use of any weapons they have at their disposal, and make decisions based on their available options.

3: order doesn't matter, unless you give them multiple guns/melee weapons. the first two weapons (ie melee or firearms) will go in the hands, the rest will go wherever they fit. the AI doesn't assign them a priority based on their order, but rather their expected damage output and situational viability.

Offline Thirsk

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: AI's priority in Alien Deployments?
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 11:08:16 pm »
That sounds awesome. Looks like the ai is a lot more smarter than I thought. Thank you for that perfect answer!