aliens

Author Topic: How Finished is This?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline The13thRonin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
How Finished is This?
« on: January 19, 2017, 04:37:00 pm »
How finished is this?

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
Re: How Finished is This?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »
Solarius will be able to give a better answer, but this is my take.

X-Com Files per the description is still in Alpha, so very unfinished.  However Solarius's development philosophy is to work on this in "arcs" within the broad story.  So when he releases a new arc, it is very solid and may introduce new enemies, missions, etc.  The result is that you get an extremely playable work in progress.  The early game is very well fleshed out, and I believe you can play to completion, though the late game may be just a vanilla experience.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 05:10:53 pm »
Not finished in terms of the fact that Solarius has much more content planned, but everything that's in is very good and playable.  The late game is pretty similar to FMP, so vanilla plus a lot of stuff, though I've heard he's buffed the aliens...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 05:58:26 pm »
Not finished in terms of the fact that Solarius has much more content planned, but everything that's in is very good and playable.  The late game is pretty similar to FMP, so vanilla plus a lot of stuff, though I've heard he's buffed the aliens...

This exactly. Though the buffs for aliens aren't too bad, I just had to do this because they were puny compared to your monstrous X-Com agents.

And yes, it's perfectly playable and finishable, you just won't be able to complete some subplots.

Offline The13thRonin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 06:07:10 pm »
This exactly. Though the buffs for aliens aren't too bad, I just had to do this because they were puny compared to your monstrous X-Com agents.

And yes, it's perfectly playable and finishable, you just won't be able to complete some subplots.

How extensive is the tech tree? I like games with really extensive tech trees.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:08:49 pm »
How extensive is the tech tree? I like games with really extensive tech trees.

Not as much as the one from Piratez, but I'm working on it. :P

It has all the same stuff as the Final Mod Pack, plus more.

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 04:34:08 am »
Well,

the tech tree is pretty extensive with lots of excess fluff.... You'll fight a shit ton of monsters and cultists with various mini upgrades of human equipment because research is SLOW. You'll chase down research leads that sound interesting but really lead you to a dead end but it's ok. I'd call it 1 to 9 useful to fluff going in blind.

Sometimes you'll land and look at the terrain or the enemies and scrub.... because fuck losing good troops to having to confront heavily armed enemies in a CQB/ H2H nightmare bughunt where a single over extension means your small team fucking dies. Where you have to pay perfect attention for 3 hours or shit goes VERY bad. Or you see some enemy and go.... yeah we got one of those already; fuck fighting that shit again.

You don't start with a lab really... just 5 dudes squatting behind a card table smelling of BO, meth and desperation.

You'll lose a soldiers at about a ratio of 1 to 10ish initially and as your gear improves until you reach about 1 to 50ish but your rosters will be long and often you have entire teams out for weeks because of being shot.

An example is me playing on veteran here yesterday. I won the cult mission but all of my guys were so heavily wounded that an entire team of 12 was down for 30+ days but my bench is deep, so it was minor in the long term.   

Offline The13thRonin

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:29:21 am »
How many 'arcs' are finished? Is the game 50% complete? 75%? 99%?

Is there more content before the FMP stuff kicks in than there is in FMP?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 09:52:25 am by The13thRonin »

Offline yrizoud

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 12:50:07 pm »
Why don't you just play, the completely new game experience is available immediately. Whether it has 30 or 300 hours of fresh new gameplay for you, shouldn't matter : as soon as you feel it has gotten too familiar or too repetitive, there's no point to keep on playing this campaign, you know how UFO ends. By then, Solarius will have updated the mod thanks to his work and players' feedback, so you can start a new campaign, and play an even better-balanced game with even more content.