Author Topic: Additional soldier sprites  (Read 54692 times)

Offline luke83

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • openxcommods
Re: Additional soldier sprites
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2013, 03:16:29 am »
It would be nice Long term if we could....Clone Tanks anyone?

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2013, 04:00:48 am »
this depend on this if I can access solder data from its corpse. I didnt check this yet.

Alternatively we can prerender the corpses and just have it spit out a different one at time of death.

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2013, 03:02:45 pm »
Yankes, do you have a list or table or any kind of overview exactly which colors of the palette are the "hair" colors that your code modifies?

because I noticed that some of my earlier weapon mods apparently use colors that are usually hair color shades, and now change on soldiers with changed hair. which looks kind of weird :P so I'd like to re-do those weapons - unless your code can be modified to ignore the weapon sprites...?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2013, 07:53:37 pm »
here you go.

i'd prefer to make the adjustments at load time, but i couldn't figure it out, this method, however, worked.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:56:54 pm by Warboy1982 »

Offline moriarty

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Luke's OX mod site
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2013, 07:59:10 pm »
thank you!

hmmm... does that mean that with a little extra code (mostly copy-paste, probably) we could also have custom color-changed weapons? like, for example, different kinds of grenades for a mod that adds, say, apocalypse's alien gas grenades?

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »
rather easily, i would imagine. Although if you're modding, it might just be easier to do the palette swap manually.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 09, 2013, 09:58:16 pm »
Hard to admit but my code isnt mod friendly because its depends on original data. Right now if you change "xcom_1.pck" you could end up with strange colors. I change some pixel form 0x6 color group (face color or male hair color in "xcom_1.pck") to 0x9 color group (male hair color in "xcom_0.pck").

After that when Unit is drawn I replace every pixel from 0x6 to correct face color and 0x9 to correct hair color.

I think I should add two options for moders that turn off my hack.
One options will turn off changing "xcom_1.pck" and second will turn off national look (its separate for moders that want use it).

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2013, 03:21:01 am »
What would actually be ideal is an external file where we can set recolour data for the battlescape and have the game go from there. So we could set it for all of the soldier sprites, and have a seperate flag for the male unarmoured sprite as it recolours without being blonde. We could possibly move this into the ruleset?

Then the next step is to also recolour the paperdolls in the inventory screen so we can re-use the different haircuts as any of the three races.

Offline Warboy1982

• Administrator
  • Commander
  • Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2013, 10:46:34 am »
so uuuuh... this should be easier now... and stuff... i'd definitely like to see this implemented. recolouration is great, don't get me wrong, but if we could actually have the right hairstyles to go with them, and get rid of the "mod unfriendly*" sprite recolouring technique... that'd be nice.

* it's not THAT unfriendly, the combat armour recolours nicely, although i understand where the problems would arise.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2013, 04:36:42 pm »
So, apparently I hadn't posted any new sprite graphics here yet... here's  few views of what I have so far:

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 09, 2013, 05:55:02 am »
I've done the unarmoured version of the asian paperdoll. (in blonde european form, to be friendly for recolouring) This leaves me the personal armour version of that look, and both the unarmoured and personal armour version of the male african look to sprite before I've done all the base looks.

I've also based a long-haired non-ponytail look off the original prototype XCOM sprites, which I've drafted in the south-facing direction. (I've altered it slightly because it wasn't using anwhere near enough of the pallete compared to the ponytail sprite) There's previews for that and the male parting look below.

After that I'll move on to trying to come up with a good helmetless look for Power Armour.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 16, 2013, 02:19:01 pm »
I finished up the first stage of spriting today. (like, right now)

I've got battlescape sprites for ALL default looks in european skintone and blonde hair, and one extra look for both male and female. (Moriarty's short-haired male sprite, with a new paperdoll and accompanying death and personal armour sprites, and a new long-haired female sprite based on the Gollop concept art) The new female sprite still lacks a paperdoll but is otherwise ready to roll.

For spriting the next steps are helmetless sprites for power and flying armour, and porting the TFTD looks into the UFO armour sets.

Offline 54x

• Colonel
    • View Profile
To Warboy with love ;)
« Reply #72 on: June 22, 2013, 10:39:52 am »
Vanilla sprites, one more time... :)

Offline Mr. Quiet

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • =Open_X_Com= Mods
« Reply #73 on: June 22, 2013, 11:15:35 am »
Nice! Great job 54x!

Offline mercy

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 22, 2013, 11:50:15 am »
Wow, very nice work!! Especially like the flat-top haircut realized!