aliens

Author Topic: How do I reveal all enemy units on base defense?  (Read 4164 times)

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
How do I reveal all enemy units on base defense?
« on: February 19, 2017, 08:23:44 pm »
A lot of players find base defense missions annoying because your base can be very large and complex, and the aliens can wind up hiding in weird places. Most veteran players choose to build their bases in a defensive style which puts their soldiers in the chokepoint between the hangars/access lift and the rest of the base. But why can't the base come equipped with security cameras? I'd like to eliminate last alien hunts from base defense missions so we can focus on the more fun parts where there's action happening.

I know the base defense mission automatically reveals the terrain, and I'm thinking it would be fairly easy to simply not hide the aliens' image on the battlefield even if no soldiers see the alien. You'd still have to search with your eyes to find the aliens.

I am also interested in other modding possibilities to add base security, including but not limited to:
 * aliens show up as radar blips on the map or battlescape
 * security station facility which can shoot at aliens
 * weapon installments that can shoot aliens
 * individual security cameras which count as a unit to provide sight to a specific area
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 08:28:48 pm by The Reaver of Darkness »

Offline Countdown

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: How do I reveal all enemy units on base defense?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 08:28:31 pm »
You could just go into debug mode and all aliens will be revealed as well as their movements on the alien turn.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 08:29:11 pm »
But I want it to be a feature in my mod.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2017, 08:43:32 pm »
See "bughunt mode" in OXCE+: you can pick settings such as turn number to start and number of aliens left and once the conditions are met, the enemies will show up as blips on the minimap.

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2017, 09:54:44 pm »
Would it be possible to make a recruitable unit called a "Camera" which has no time units, a tiny hitbox, can't be sent on missions, and spawns in specific parts of the base defense map separate from soldier spawn locations?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2017, 11:00:28 pm »
All of that except not sending it on missions and choosing specific spawn points for it.  The better choice for not moving is setting energy near 0 and TUs less than 4, I think the engine might not like 0 TUs.