Author Topic: Hero Units  (Read 7604 times)

Offline Cmndr_Stryker

• Sergeant
  • Fire everything we got!
    • View Profile
Hero Units
« on: January 16, 2017, 06:31:40 pm »
 The idea for using Hero Units is that these special soldiers have their own custom sprites, weapons, and armor. These Heroes would all start out at the same rank that any other XCOM soldier does, but they start with slightly better stats than your typical rookies. 

Here are some ideas on how you could recruit a Hero:

1. Whenever you recruit new soldiers or start a new game, you have a random chance of getting a Hero

Or

2. You can recruit Heroes from by purchasing them from their own pool but its more expensive to do so as compared to recruiting a regular soldier

Or

3. Just have every single Hero soldier as a one-time purchase for each specific one

On the subject of weapons and armor, each Hero would have their own special equipment. Some of their weapons could resemble standard XCOM weapons but have special names and can only be equipped on the Hero it belongs to. And since you have to research better weapons for your normal soldiers to use against the beefier aliens, why not add some new research projects that allow you to upgrade the armor and weapons of all of your Heroes.  For example, after successfully researching Laser Weapons, you unlock a new project called "Heroic Laser Weapons" or something of that nature which would unlock laser weapons for your Heroes specifically.

Heroes would also have some kind of special icon on their stats and/or inventory screens to tell the difference between a normal XCOM soldier and a Hero. And, the best part is, these Heroes could be anything from your  favorite '80s action heroes to your favorite cartoon character or they could even be some crazy version of yourself.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hero Units
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 06:52:44 pm »
Hello Commander Stryker and welcome to the forum!

I have some good news for you... almost everything (95% or more) is already doable today.
Somebody (you?) just needs to do it.

The idea for using Hero Units is that these special soldiers have their own custom sprites, weapons, and armor. These Heroes would all start out at the same rank that any other XCOM soldier does, but they start with slightly better stats than your typical rookies.

Own sprites are doable, own armors are doable.
Own weapons are doable (as a fixed part of own armors).
They would start as rookies and could go up the ranks.
They can start with better stats (defined as a new soldier type), they could even gain stats quicker than normal soldiers.

Here are some ideas on how you could recruit a Hero:
1. Whenever you recruit new soldiers or start a new game, you have a random chance of getting a Hero
2. You can recruit Heroes from by purchasing them from their own pool but its more expensive to do so as compared to recruiting
3. Just have every single Hero soldier as a one-time purchase for each specific one

1. already works this way
2. already possible
3. this is not possible in vanilla, but is possible in my extension (OXCE+), you could "manufacture" them from limited resources

On the subject of weapons and armor, each Hero would have their own special equipment. Some of their weapons could resemble standard XCOM weapons but have special names and can only be equipped on the Hero it belongs to.

Yes, this is how fixed weapons on armor work.

And since you have to research better weapons for your normal soldiers to use against the beefier aliens, why not add some new research projects that allow you to upgrade the armor and weapons of all of your Heroes.  For example, after successfully researching Laser Weapons, you unlock a new project called "Heroic Laser Weapons" or something of that nature which would unlock laser weapons for your Heroes specifically.

Yes, doable.

Heroes would also have some kind of special icon on their stats and/or inventory screens to tell the difference between a normal XCOM soldier and a Hero. And, the best part is, these Heroes could be anything from your  favorite '80s action heroes to your favorite cartoon character or they could even be some crazy version of yourself.

In geoscape, you could tell them apart by having their unique armors and/or unique names (from a different name pool than other soldiers).
With OXCE+ extension, you could even have nice small armor preview icons.

In battlescape, if you would use my OXCE+ extension... you can even see their FACES (instead of rank)... so you can see the portrait of your favourite '80s action heroes at all times.

Good luck with the experimentation!
Share your work, if you decide to mod any of this.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 06:55:46 pm by Meridian »

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 03:13:19 am »
Could be good stuff for a super-hero mod

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline Cmndr_Stryker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 11:33:32 pm »
Could be good stuff for a super-hero mod

I mean, you could have almost anyone as a Hero. You could have Rambo mow down alien scumbags with a Laser MG or even have Deadpool sporting a set of Plasma Pistols and energy swords.

I have some good news for you... almost everything (95% or more) is already doable today.
Somebody (you?) just needs to do it.

I would be willing to start working on something like this, but all of my experience as a programmer is essentially a single class on Python and another on C++. If someone can help me at least get a basic version of this done with just a few Heroes to start, then we could have others create their own Heroes and add them in.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 11:46:48 pm »
I would be willing to start working on something like this, but all of my experience as a programmer is essentially a single class on Python and another on C++. If someone can help me at least get a basic version of this done with just a few Heroes to start, then we could have others create their own Heroes and add them in.

You don't need any programming experience, modding is all done via text files (rulesets).

I'll prepare a small example for you later (few days/weeks) with one hero type.

Offline Testbox360

• Squaddie
  • Rookie Friendly Fire Accuracy: 101%
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 07:44:02 pm »
I'd download the shit outta a mod like this.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 07:11:46 pm »
Working sample attached (Ironwoman.zip).
Some screenshots too.
All graphics taken from Piratez, look for credits there.

Following features will work also in vanilla OpenXcom:
- ability to buy the new soldier type (Ironwoman) for more money and better salary
- better starting stats
- better max stats and stat improvement
- different soldier names
- game starts with 7 normal soldiers and 1 new soldier
- custom sprites (2 custom armors - 2nd is unlocked by research)
- custom paperdolls (same 2 custom armors)

Following features will require OXCE+ (OpenXcom Extended Plus):
- custom preview icons (craft equipment)
- faces (battlescape)
- custom weapons (each custom armor will have also a custom weapon, which cannot be used by normal soldiers)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 07:13:45 pm by Meridian »

Offline Xcommander

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 09:15:00 pm »
How about unlocking a Hero unit when a regular soldier has skilled/leveled up all the way? I always felt there should be more impact from a top guy who survived and finally made it to the top. But no, a single stray plasma ends him or her  ;D

Wouldn't have to be a super unit, just giving him/her one unique special weapon/ability exclusively would make it fun and interesting.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 09:24:46 pm »
How about unlocking a Hero unit when a regular soldier has skilled/leveled up all the way? I always felt there should be more impact from a top guy who survived and finally made it to the top. But no, a single stray plasma ends him or her  ;D

Wouldn't have to be a super unit, just giving him/her one unique special weapon/ability exclusively would make it fun and interesting.

Are you interested in doing it or are you just fantasizing?

Such a feature can be implemented, but I won't do it unless I know you're serious about it... I spent enough time already with your example tbh, maybe start there are create those hero units you wanted this example.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there's been many people here in the past, who just talked, didn't do anything and wasted my time. So I'm careful about newcomers, before they prove they're serious.

EDIT: sorry I mistaken Xcommander with Cmdr_stryker.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:37:30 pm by Meridian »

Offline Testbox360

• Squaddie
  • Rookie Friendly Fire Accuracy: 101%
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 10:58:30 pm »
Are you interested in doing it or are you just fantasizing?

Such a feature can be implemented, but I won't do it unless I know you're serious about it... I spent enough time already with your example tbh, maybe start there are create those hero units you wanted.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but there's been many people here in the past, who just talked, didn't do anything and wasted my time. So I'm careful about newcomers, before they prove they're serious.

I couldn't do any work, but if this is compatible with Area 51, I'd play the hell outta of it. I'd be more then willing to give creative suggestions though.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2017, 10:08:50 am »
I couldn't do any work, but if this is compatible with Area 51, I'd play the hell outta of it. I'd be more then willing to give creative suggestions though.

I was talking to Xcommander.

But to answer your question, it is compatible with Area 51... but not balanced or polished... it's not a released mod, just an example for Xcommander Cmdr_Stryker to experiment with.

EDIT: sorry again, I've mistaken Xcommander for Cmdr_stryker.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:41:02 pm by Meridian »

Offline Cmndr_Stryker

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2017, 04:58:07 pm »
Thanks for the example file by the way. I've been silent for a little bit because of writing up a list of characters with starting stats, weapons and armor. Don't worry, I'll actually do something with this, but considering this is my first time making my own mod for OXC I will need some time to get my bearings.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2017, 08:40:13 pm »
Thanks for the example file by the way. I've been silent for a little bit because of writing up a list of characters with starting stats, weapons and armor. Don't worry, I'll actually do something with this, but considering this is my first time making my own mod for OXC I will need some time to get my bearings.

No problem, take as long as you need.
Quality mod work cannot be rushed.
If you need any explanation to particular things in the example, just ask.

Offline Xcommander

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2017, 03:51:01 pm »
Meridian, even though you confused me with the other guy, it's true I really just fantasized - after all it's the "Suggestions" - Subforum, and a gamer needs to dream :-)

Please don't feel under pressure from anyone's wild idea. You've given me great advice for my "vanilla hard mode", thanks for that!