aliens

Author Topic: Want to help?  (Read 92349 times)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Want to help?
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2017, 11:17:11 pm »
TECHNOMAD and MYSTEK are MALE_TECHNICIAN with recoloured hands and pants and pasted haircuts. TECHNOMAD has MAN_28M0, MYSTEK has tweaked MAN_28M16. Almost forgot — I recoloured the coat stitches too.

I noticed they use identical sets of sprites, but don't feel like tweaking those right now.

Unrelated question: are there female Cyberweb members?

P.S. Damn, forgot the eyeshields. I'll keep both versions ­— with and without them.

How does space technomad look like? Like someone in a white hazardous environment suit with a red bubble covering the head? This is what I got from lightening the hazmat suit picture. Feel free to criticize.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 12:31:24 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2017, 08:03:31 pm »
Cool paperdolls, but technomads are supposed to be bald. Someone like this, but half the age:

Do you think you could try comething along these lines?

There are no female Cyberweb members, because there are no sprites. Besides, I kind of enjoy the psycho nerd no-girls-allowed feel of the faction, it makes them goofy and scary at the same time. But of course, nothing is set in stone - the internet is full of good ideas. ;)

The Space Technomad is okayish, but I'd like more pronounced shoulders - see enlarged sprite in the attachment, it's practically a V shape. A space suit should be rigid.

I know I'm being difficult, but if you think you can do that, it would be great! And thanks to you, I can focus on the important stuff better. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2017, 12:27:23 am »
The sprites have visible yellow hair. Should I also make the sprites bald to keep them consistent?

And the same question as with warriors and assassins: should they be visibly different? Since now the player can middle-click them to know the rank, there's not much reason to keep them the same, aside from the work time. (I'm thinking yellow pants for technomads and crimson for mystecs.)

As for pronounced shoulders, it's harder to tell from the sprite with arms attached :) How about a crisis trooper?

I'll make something else then, I wasn't satisfied with this set anyway.

Update: Bald sprites and inventories. 3 colours of pants.

Update 2: Cleaned crisis trooper from black edges, increased brightness, gave him a red helmet. Let's say Cyberweb buys crisis trooper outfits and improves them :)

Update 3: Looks like GIMP messed with palettes. DO NOT USE THESE IMAGES! I'll fix them tomorrow.

Update 4: GIMP 2.9 screws up colormaps, decreasing all indexes by -1 every time the image is imported. If OpenXcom used colour information from files, this wouldn't've been a problem, but it assumes all palettes are the same. There seems to be no easy way to fix it. Most of my images will still look adequate, I hope. I'll replace the attachments when I figure out how to fix palettes.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:54:11 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 08:48:37 pm »
The sprites have visible yellow hair. Should I also make the sprites bald to keep them consistent?

Well, they definitely don't; in fact it's the same head as on Black Lotus Followers, except with sunglasses.
If it's not visible, then I failed.

And the same question as with warriors and assassins: should they be visibly different? Since now the player can middle-click them to know the rank, there's not much reason to keep them the same, aside from the work time. (I'm thinking yellow pants for technomads and crimson for mystecs.)

I don't want to give them different colours, because they are not exactly different - Mysteks are simply the more experienced and knowledgeable ones. Giving them a special attire would destroy the image of the faction, which is (at least in principle) extremely egalitarian. But for the reasons you voiced, I don't mind giving them something small to facilitate recognition - glasses, hats, whatever. I'm open for suggestions.

As for pronounced shoulders, it's harder to tell from the sprite with arms attached :) How about a crisis trooper?

I can't see how a Crisis Trooper is similar, but if you think you can pull it off, sure.

Update: Bald sprites and inventories. 3 colours of pants.

Oh yeah, these are nice!
I will check them in the game ASAP.

Update 2: Cleaned crisis trooper from black edges, increased brightness, gave him a red helmet. Let's say Cyberweb buys crisis trooper outfits and improves them :)

Yeah, looks pretty good :)

Update 3: Looks like GIMP messed with palettes. DO NOT USE THESE IMAGES! I'll fix them tomorrow.

No worries, I always reapply the palette anyway.

----

Sorry for being so laconic, but I can't really sit down to this today. I really appreciate your work, it's pretty damn good and useful.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2017, 12:54:13 am »
I always reapply the palette anyway.
This is what new GIMP does to "PNG8" (indexed PNGs with a single transparent colour): https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=791531
If you convert the images to 8-bit per channel and then apply the correct palette, that should do the trick.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2017, 11:59:53 am »
I reapply the palette anyway, to keep consistency. Otherwise I have slightly different palettes all over the place and it's a pretty bad idea.
Applying a palette takes 5 seconds in Photoshop, so don't worry about it. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 03:39:47 am »
Bikini babe is horizontally shrunk Swimwear-MAN_27F21.png with bleached hair and eyes of Nude-MAN_28F21.png. Not sure about the bikini colour, thus I attached 4.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 11:00:41 am »
I think she's waaay too thin for X-Com. Unless she's a literal Thin Woman. :) (Might be an idea.)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 02:21:53 pm »
I think she's waaay too thin for X-Com. Unless she's a literal Thin Woman. :) (Might be an idea.)
X-COM operatives and hybrid infiltrators are heavyweight soldiers with muscles of almost bodybuilders. And some civilians got to be thinner than that. She's only 10% narrower at close height. Maybe she needs a bigger head, though.

If you don't like her, I'll try something else later. Much later.

P.S. Someone posted a Thin Man. Probably in works in progress. Giving him a miniskirt and token boobs won't be hard :)
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 02:24:25 pm by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 03:11:26 pm »
X-COM operatives and hybrid infiltrators are heavyweight soldiers with muscles of almost bodybuilders. And some civilians got to be thinner than that. She's only 10% narrower at close height. Maybe she needs a bigger head, though.

Not really, it has little to do with body mass; this is a matter of art style. X-Com paperdolls are practically chibi and any photorealistic body will appear unnaturally gaunt. There is nothing that can be done about it (apart from replacing all graphics), and I don't think it would be a good idea anyway.

P.S. Someone posted a Thin Man. Probably in works in progress. Giving him a miniskirt and token boobs won't be hard :)

I guess it would be more demanding than that. :) But maybe I could turn your doll into a female ghoul?

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2017, 02:13:50 am »
Not really, it has little to do with body mass; this is a matter of art style. X-Com paperdolls are practically chibi and any photorealistic body will appear unnaturally gaunt. There is nothing that can be done about it (apart from replacing all graphics), and I don't think it would be a good idea anyway.

I compared the sprites and paperdolls for BIKINI_BABE and a female agent. Am I correct that sprites use the same arms and legs for all agents? In this case the paperdoll isn't thin enough :)

She's someone who's trying to stay slim.

I guess it would be more demanding than that. :) But maybe I could turn your doll into a female ghoul?
Did you plan to make female ghouls, or did you get the idea just now? :) Anyway, those aren't mutually exclusive.

I found those thin men sprites: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2732.0 , but loaded a floater file and got a little carried away.

P.S. This way the female agent looks like a sumo fighter. Or Hulk.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:07:12 am by tkzv »

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2017, 02:17:17 am »
After finishing with floaters, I noticed a couple of better pictures: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,2732.msg90319.html#msg90319 But I'm posting mine anyway.

P.S. And here's a tinwoman. Just a first try :)
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 03:04:38 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2017, 06:52:48 pm »
I compared the sprites and paperdolls for BIKINI_BABE and a female agent. Am I correct that sprites use the same arms and legs for all agents? In this case the paperdoll isn't thin enough :)

Well, I think you're right... There is only so many templates. :) Of course we modders would welcome more body types.

Did you plan to make female ghouls, or did you get the idea just now? :) Anyway, those aren't mutually exclusive.

I had them looking at your paperdoll. I shared it with Dioxine, and he immediately made a prototype. :)

I found those thin men sprites: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php?topic=2732.0 , but loaded a floater file and got a little carried away.

Yes, I remember! I've always regretted that this project is not finished. Shouldn't be that hard though.

P.S. This way the female agent looks like a sumo fighter. Or Hulk.

It's a combination of X-Com style and muscle mass. Ideally it would depend on the paperdoll.

Floaters are nice. I should've done it long ago, I just forgot.

P.S. And here's a tinwoman. Just a first try :)

Has potential. Is properly unsettling. :)

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 01:51:55 am »
Bearded doctor is JumpSuit-MAN_0M25 with recoloured boots, pants, skin and hair; without shirt fastener; and wearing a white coat. The white coat was made from BL mandarin's coat. Beardless doctor additionally has the recoloured mouth and chin of Osiron goon.

Update 1: Just noticed: Janissaries seem to have little in common with TFTD Deep Ones or Calcinites. What should they be like? Ufopaedia page has something green, tool-using and with duck's feet. Do they wear diving suits? Do they have long pink trunks? What colour are they? White?

Update 2: Cybermite is from its Ufopaedia page.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 02:30:34 am by tkzv »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2017, 02:38:12 am »
OK, integrated your Floaters and pretty much everything else. Whew! You are really contributing a lot to the mod. Respect!

Bearded doctor is JumpSuit-MAN_0M25 with recoloured boots, pants, skin and hair; without shirt fastener; and wearing a white coat. The white coat was made from BL mandarin's coat. Beardless doctor additionally has the recoloured mouth and chin of Osiron goon.

Very nice. I'll take the beardless version, because the other one looks too much like one X-Com agent.

Update 1: Just noticed: Janissaries seem to have little in common with TFTD Deep Ones or Calcinites. What should they be like? Ufopaedia page has something green, tool-using and with duck's feet. Do they wear diving suits? Do they have long pink trunks? What colour are they? White?

They are supposed to be exactly the same as TFTD Deep Ones, just with a different name (because "Deep One" is tied to fish people as it should be). But I'm listening. ;)
Hmm... Maybe I should have called them "Gillmen" after all. Aren't they actual humans with surgically added gills and stuff?

Update 2: Cybermite is from its Ufopaedia page.

Crispy. Yum!