Author Topic: Want to help?  (Read 92412 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Want to help?
« Reply #120 on: August 20, 2021, 03:38:59 pm »
Thanks, everything works perfectly. Added!

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 01, 2021, 11:35:43 pm »
Solarius, while this post isnt related to coding/making stuff in game. Would you like a steam guide, for this mod in particular ? This mod can be extremely confusing at times and tips and tricks or whatever you need to do to get your boots of the ground could be appreciated for some new players.

Steam guide does have more tools than posting here on the forums and i am sure it would be more convinient to access too.
Like here is what i would envision the guide would contain
Guide would assume the player has successfuly installed it
- The standard jargon that this guide is from a fan and not from the official team and bunch of disclaimers and... that kind of stuff to cover our asses.
- Major differences from vanilla XCOM and a vague description of them, things like Close quater combat, surrendering, rewards etc...
- Advanced settings and possible alterations you can do as player.
- Starting the game, difficulty and recomended starting location
- Some basic tips for research to get the ball rolling, recommended guns to grab.
- Explanation of how promotion works and all the possible ways to archive them
- General combat tips and tricks, how to best utilize certain weapons.

Tons of stuff will be hidden as spoilers with a thick text mentioning that there is a magic in to discovering stuff yourself and that this guide is only if you are desperate or just need to get unstuck ASAP.
Guide wont contain like all enemy types and mission types or any of this stuff, frankly, i lost count how many mission types and enemy types there are but my guess that its more than the entire XCOM serie combined.

It wont contain weapons and toys either, too much and its just better for the player to discover them as he goes. Only certain starting weapons might be highlighted as useful or notable.
It wont contain factions and their arsenal or lore, only what is absolutely nessesary so the player can make it to 1999 and have decent odds.

Before i would publish it, i would present it to you first so you can dismantle it and tell me what should be changed etc... so it would be.... presentable with some honor.
That is, if you would like such thing in the first place, your call.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 02, 2021, 12:35:33 am »
Steam guide does have more tools than posting here on the forums
I'm genuinely curious, what are these? Headings? Proper hyperlinks? Embedded videos? In my experience, a generic Steam Guide is just a long forum post with maybe some headings.

and i am sure it would be more convinient to access too.
Not so sure about that. I for one am not looking for guides to mods on Steam, and even less to ones that originate in another corner of the web.

Plus, it will call some attention to the rampant piracy. I'm not sure Solarius wants to duke it out with the remnants of Blizzard who exactly can or cannot use Diablo 1 sprites, or with the copyright holders of the Thing soundtrack... :-X

Offline Mrvex

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 02, 2021, 07:50:58 pm »

Plus, it will call some attention to the rampant piracy. I'm not sure Solarius wants to duke it out with the remnants of Blizzard who exactly can or cannot use Diablo 1 sprites, or with the copyright holders of the Thing soundtrack... :-X

This is... a fair concern, you got me there.

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2022, 07:13:58 pm »
Öi :)
playing this on german I often come across some "unclear" translations (the word is right but not quite...). Sometimes takes some thinking to really understand what is meant.
I don´t exactly have an example right now but there´s quite a bit of that.
If you´re interested I´d like to help out there if I can...
Would you be so kind as to point me to where I could give it a try? Like is there a place where I can see the english texts and the german translations to compare?

Not saying I´m professional translator or anything, I just think maybe I could do something..? ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2022, 01:18:00 pm »
Öi :)
playing this on german I often come across some "unclear" translations (the word is right but not quite...). Sometimes takes some thinking to really understand what is meant.
I don´t exactly have an example right now but there´s quite a bit of that.
If you´re interested I´d like to help out there if I can...
Would you be so kind as to point me to where I could give it a try? Like is there a place where I can see the english texts and the german translations to compare?

Not saying I´m professional translator or anything, I just think maybe I could do something..? ;)

You're very much welcome to help!
But you'll need to create an account on Transifex: https://www.transifex.com/openxcom/openxcom-mods/xcf/
Just select German and do any improvements you think suitable. Also, there's like 2% of strings completely untranslated.

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2022, 09:02:47 pm »
You're very much welcome to help!

On it...
(but man... this is a little over my head at first look. I will have to check that Transifex a bit first)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 09:04:39 pm by GRUNCHmitCH »

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 13, 2022, 09:14:22 pm »
honestly I think I would be more effective if I played another round Xcom Files and take schreenshots to edit^^ ...because context.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 15, 2022, 02:44:02 pm »
honestly I think I would be more effective if I played another round Xcom Files and take schreenshots to edit^^ ...because context.

Sure, whatever suits you best.

You could also send me a file with translations, so I could upload it to Transifex manually... But it's not the best idea, because if someone else tries to translate at the same time, it would cause issues (my manual uploads would destroy their work, if they touched the same strings). So I don't recommend it.

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2022, 02:11:18 am »
Naa
It's actually very good, just needed to get a good look first. Hardest thing for me would be matching tones with previous texts....
I will try  my best when times allowes it.
 (man... this is really really a lot of work...respect for the one guy who done this almost by him self)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 03:59:21 pm by GRUNCHmitCH »

Offline Finnik

• Colonel
  • Finnik#0257
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2022, 02:30:11 am »
Solarius, while this post isnt related to coding/making stuff in game. Would you like a steam guide, for this mod in particular ? This mod can be extremely confusing at times and tips and tricks or whatever you need to do to get your boots of the ground could be appreciated for some new players.

Steam guide does have more tools than posting here on the forums and i am sure it would be more convinient to access too.
Like here is what i would envision the guide would contain
Guide would assume the player has successfuly installed it
- The standard jargon that this guide is from a fan and not from the official team and bunch of disclaimers and... that kind of stuff to cover our asses.
- Major differences from vanilla XCOM and a vague description of them, things like Close quater combat, surrendering, rewards etc...
- Advanced settings and possible alterations you can do as player.
- Starting the game, difficulty and recomended starting location
- Some basic tips for research to get the ball rolling, recommended guns to grab.
- Explanation of how promotion works and all the possible ways to archive them
- General combat tips and tricks, how to best utilize certain weapons.

Tons of stuff will be hidden as spoilers with a thick text mentioning that there is a magic in to discovering stuff yourself and that this guide is only if you are desperate or just need to get unstuck ASAP.
Guide wont contain like all enemy types and mission types or any of this stuff, frankly, i lost count how many mission types and enemy types there are but my guess that its more than the entire XCOM serie combined.

It wont contain weapons and toys either, too much and its just better for the player to discover them as he goes. Only certain starting weapons might be highlighted as useful or notable.
It wont contain factions and their arsenal or lore, only what is absolutely nessesary so the player can make it to 1999 and have decent odds.

Before i would publish it, i would present it to you first so you can dismantle it and tell me what should be changed etc... so it would be.... presentable with some honor.
That is, if you would like such thing in the first place, your call.

Not actually what you are looking, but I do stream modding process, so you can jumps in and ask any questions online https://www.twitch.tv/finnik723studio.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 07, 2022, 08:03:10 pm »
Solarius, do you want to play around with some bigger Geoscape icons? I expanded/made these a long while ago, and while I can't exactly claim credit for things like 5x5 crosses in six different colours ;D, I guess the vehicles may be of some interest.

I spent a while putting these into 2.5 UFOs and deployments. If you want, I can share the files so you have a draft to start with.

Certainly spices up the globe some.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 08:06:05 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2022, 04:33:52 pm »
Solarius, do you want to play around with some bigger Geoscape icons? I expanded/made these a long while ago, and while I can't exactly claim credit for things like 5x5 crosses in six different colours ;D, I guess the vehicles may be of some interest.

I spent a while putting these into 2.5 UFOs and deployments. If you want, I can share the files so you have a draft to start with.

Certainly spices up the globe some.

I think the current set is sufficient fro the mod's needs, and I'd personally prefer to keep these markers simple. Nevertheless, I like your icons, they're pretty nice. Maybe as a submod?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2022, 06:45:37 pm »
Yeah, I see your point.

As to making a submod, done.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 10, 2022, 11:06:11 am »
Would you be interested in a shinier X-Com Liquidator paperdoll? I combined the original with the current all-black version, and like the new shiny armour much better. That's what a proper black ops soldier looks like! 8)

It does need some finangling to use the old sprite for Ufopedia, because the armor entry doesn't play nice with these colours.