aliens

Author Topic: Want to help?  (Read 92362 times)

Offline Fomka

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Want to help?
« Reply #105 on: April 27, 2021, 06:56:32 pm »
It is possible to find specific birds' voices over the internet. For example, I've found voices of 2 kinds of parrots that live in Australia.

PS. Why are you asking? The game has got new feature, "random sounds"?

PPS. Is it an attempt to bring some more details to different terrains, like American cactuses that do not grow in African deserts?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 07:05:54 pm by Fomka »

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 27, 2021, 07:33:00 pm »
rpg-maker community had great recources... I can´t seem to find much anymore though. Maybe this could help?
https://sonniss.com/category/sound-libraries/

(not sure about legal mumbojumbo ...gotta be some way I can contribute...)
                                                            ((no I can´t... not with sounds anyway. My mind goes to See 'n Say-toys for farm terrain next..."cow says moo"))
« Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 09:22:28 pm by GRUNCHmitCH »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2021, 10:41:57 am »
It is possible to find specific birds' voices over the internet. For example, I've found voices of 2 kinds of parrots that live in Australia.

Indeed, I found quite a lot myself, but I thought reaching out to the community wouldn't hurt - people have all sorts of stuff on their drives.

Your files are pretty nice. Very clean (barring some cage noises), it should be easy to cut out a few samples from them, since I need a few seconds per sound at most.

PS. Why are you asking? The game has got new feature, "random sounds"?

Yes, precisely. Meridian kindly added it, I think it was even on my own request, so I feel doubly obliged to use it... ;)

PPS. Is it an attempt to bring some more details to different terrains, like American cactuses that do not grow in African deserts?

Yeah, that too, but I mostly wanted ambient sounds.

rpg-maker community had great recources... I can´t seem to find much anymore though. Maybe this could help?

Thanks, I know several such websites, but I appreciate this one too. Will check it out later. :)

Offline GRUNCHmitCH

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2021, 12:04:17 pm »
Thanks, I know several such websites, but I appreciate this one too. Will check it out later.

gotcha! ;)
Of course you know these. I was just too euphoric...just joined here after like 1 year lurking. Waaay cooler to use "our" own sounds and whatnot.

with the xf tüdeldi -  I still think it would go well with the mystery-atmo to have it play in the background here and there...X-com-FILES and all that.
                                (not really what you ask for but maybe kinda related?)

Offline scarf

• Sergeant
  • hello world
    • View Profile
    • reddit page
« Reply #109 on: May 01, 2021, 09:39:52 pm »
EAS warning music that I made up by merging CC-BY sound effects together; (credits here)
I'll also release this with CC-BY.

currently using this for terror mission and base defense briefing music on my mod, hope it could make some use for X-COM files too

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 02, 2021, 12:50:54 pm »
EAS warning music that I made up by merging CC-BY sound effects together (...)

currently using this for terror mission and base defense briefing music on my mod, hope it could make some use for X-COM files too

Thanks! Sounds quite professional. Maybe I can use it for something.

@Eddie our convo became a tad too big for this thread, so I moved it to a new one: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,9686.0.html

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2021, 12:05:08 pm »
While diving around in The X-Com File's art folders I noticed that both "jump.png" & "jump_H.png" have black sections between their leg sprites.

My guess is this was caused by a paint program's fill command not reaching the pixels isolated by the legs.

I've attached a version without these black patches to this post:
Spoiler:

Here are the originals with the black patches for comparison:
Spoiler:

I hope that helps save you some time.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2021, 12:06:07 pm »
Many thanks, indeed the old files were botched. They were very old... :)

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2021, 10:41:00 pm »
Here are some additional images that may (or may not) be of interest.

Spoiler:

I noticed that both the "Final Mod Pack" and "The X-Com Files" Muton Commander unit's death animation did not match its torso frames.

An edited version that adds the pauldron, orange hood ring and swaps the blood from purple to an orange to match the FloorOb can be found in the attached .zip file.

Credits:
Pauldrons were imported from the "Xeno Operations" MutonCommander.gif image created by XOps.

Spoiler:

The various colours of the Snakeman's armor were not being displayed during the death animation or as BigOb, FloorOb or Inventory images.

Attached is a .zip containing edited Snakeman Inventory, BigOb, FloorOb & Unit sheets matched to their armor colour:

Spoiler:

The Mummy unit sheet differed from the rest of the Mummy's images so I altered it to be more in line with the rest of the art.

Additionally the BigOb and death animation suggest that the unit was disrobed somehow.

With the new death animation bullets may not have much effect on the undead, but perhaps now this one has died of embarrassment.  ::)

I've included 12 variants of the unit sheet.
. 6 with a burn effect on the robe.
. 6 with a thin line effect on the robe. (This is not as pronounced a visual effect if you find the burn effect to be out of place.)
. 6 with Short Hair.
. 6 with Long Hair.
. 3 Colours for the death animation effect Green, Blue & Orange.

Credits:
To get some of the frames for the death animation I used an edited version of Dioxine's PIR_500.png from the XPiratez mod.

Usage notes:
. deathFrames: 9
. forcedTorso: 1 (Do not try to use the second torso, those frames are now used by the new deathFrames: animation.)

Download:
Snake, Muton and Mummy Pack.zip
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 10:50:14 pm by The Martian »

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2021, 06:02:23 pm »
I've attached an edit of the "STRIX" unit's sprite sheet that makes it visually similar to its BigOb, FloorOb & Inventory images.

Spoiler:

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2021, 08:16:43 pm »
I was digging through your .rul files and didn't see "inventory_GHOUL_STINKER.png" or "inventory__GHOUL_STINKER.png" being used.

However since there were only BigOb, FloorOb & Unit sheets for the normal Ghoul in your "ZombieRace" folder, sprite editing ensues...

Here is a .zip containing an altered BigOb, FloorOb & Unit sprite sheet:
Ghoul Stinker.zip

The BigOb has had purple veins added to it and the FloorOb & Unit now have red eyes to match the inventory image along with some purple highlights.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 16, 2021, 05:53:34 pm »
Hey The Martian, awesome stuff! Many thanks for the help.

I have added your work to both XCF and FMP.

I haven't done anything yet with the mummy and other zombie units, because I don't exactly get the idea - to me, the colours already look fine:

So I'll hold on with these until it's clarified. But the disrobing effect is certainly interesting... ^^

BTW what the heck is a ghoul stinker? :o

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 17, 2021, 06:52:13 am »
BTW what the heck is a ghoul stinker? :o

The inventory image files for a unit called "GHOUL_STINKER" already exist (Twice) inside The X-Com Files (V1-9)'s /ZombieRace/ folder. (And as far back as at least V1-4)

Specifically:
Code: [Select]
.../openxcom_xfiles_1.9/XComFiles/Resources/Races_Compilation/ZombieRace/inventory__GHOUL_STINKER.png
.../openxcom_xfiles_1.9/XComFiles/Resources/Races_Compilation/ZombieRace/inventory_GHOUL_STINKER.png

Neither of the images appear to be loaded via extraSprites_XCOMFILES.rul. If you do not recognize this undead perhaps these inventory images are currently unused?

I haven't done anything yet with the mummy and other zombie units, because I don't exactly get the idea - to me, the colours already look fine:

Sorry about that, I feel really silly now.   ::)

I'm guessing you are using the ability to shift specific colours to change the hair and skin tone of the undead to match the expected colours via code in the armors_XCOMFILES.rul files.

Code: [Select]
    spriteFaceGroup: 6
    spriteFaceColor: [83, 83, 83, 83, 83, 83, 83, 83]
    spriteHairGroup: 9
    spriteHairColor: [246, 246, 246, 246, 246, 246, 246, 246]

I saw the standard human skin tone on the sprite sheet and mistakenly thought it would render that way when I encountered the units ingame.

That ghoulish green you are using is way more distinct for the Strix.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 07:35:14 am by The Martian »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 17, 2021, 02:25:02 pm »
The inventory image files for a unit called "GHOUL_STINKER" already exist (Twice) inside The X-Com Files (V1-9)'s /ZombieRace/ folder. (And as far back as at least V1-4)
(...)

OMG, you're right. I have absolutely no idea what these files are and how they got there. Must be some forgotten idea... I'll remove them, at least for now.

Sorry about that, I feel really silly now.   ::)

I'm guessing you are using the ability to shift specific colours to change the hair and skin tone of the undead to match the expected colours via code in the armors_XCOMFILES.rul files.
(...)

Yes, it's exactly as you say.

I'd still like the better animation. Say, would you perhaps have the animation in unaltered colours? I could experiment with the conversion, but maybe it's unnecessary.

That ghoulish green you are using is way more distinct for the Strix.

Thanks!

Offline The Martian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 20, 2021, 04:42:22 am »
I'd still like the better animation. Say, would you perhaps have the animation in unaltered colours? I could experiment with the conversion, but maybe it's unnecessary.

I've edited the sprite sheets with the longer death animation back to their original skin and hair colours.

Here are the files:
Mummy Pack.zip