aliens

Author Topic: Want to help?  (Read 95616 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Want to help?
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2022, 04:19:22 pm »
BTW, they look kinda like Ethereal Keepers... Just with different scaling.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 02, 2022, 04:53:39 pm »
Yeah, true. :-[ I tried to get a sort of nauseating colour, but clearly failed. Although the sprites themselves are considerably darker than the Ethereals.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2022, 04:55:37 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 12, 2023, 07:02:35 pm »
Some more offerings. Never liked the Canister Gun sprite because to me it looks like a WWII pistol trying to mate with a grenade launcher. :(

Spoiler" Credits":
Supersoldier is Robin's plus recolour&head swap, Canister gun is also a recolour of his Apoc plasma rifle, the clip is just a recolour to replace greys with 'alloy blue' and the Machete is Mikkol's contribution to Piratez plus a few dark pixels.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 07:06:31 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 13, 2023, 02:38:52 pm »
Thank you, I'll use the machete, it's cleaner.

I happen to like the canister gun as it is, so not going to change it, but yours isn't too bad either... But to be perfectly honest I don't like the lightning shape of the stock, it looks like a tram ran over it.

The supersoldier looks more like a UAC guy. Maybe I'll find him a home, but is there a battlesprite and the rest?

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 13, 2023, 03:18:32 pm »
But to be perfectly honest I don't like the lightning shape of the stock, it looks like a tram ran over it.
The aliens who came up with that one have weird body shapes? :) I find it kinda appealing that it looks weird, it's not meant for humans.

I also have slightly more 'alien-coloured' versions of the current Canister Gun, without the very human-looking pistol grip.

The supersoldier looks more like a UAC guy. Maybe I'll find him a home, but is there a battlesprite and the rest?
Sure.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 03:21:20 pm by Juku121 »

Offline krautbernd

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 13, 2023, 05:29:09 pm »
Sure.
No offense, but...

I don't think "Hey, do you need help with that flat tire?" is really what the Syndicate is going for  ::)

What's wrong with the existing sprite? I think it fit's the supersoldier look just fine.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 05:31:13 pm by krautbernd »

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 13, 2023, 05:36:43 pm »
I mean, you people need to criticise Robin if you find the sprites silly. I just recoloured them. :)

Spoiler" Taste is tasty":
That having been said, the idea is that Supersoldiers are also on a supersoldier serum and/or have a lot of synthmuscles. Unlike Mutons, they wear external armour, but since they're bulky, it's bulky armour. And there's a reason for the Michelin Man look - less vulnerability in the joints.

But really, the real reason is that it's a cool sprite and pretty close to the black armour of other Syndicate goons. I like this sprite so much I use the original 'Apoc hybrid' version for my own troops' Synthsuits.

And IMO current supersoldiers look incongruent with Syndicate Security, the guys usually right next to them. The first time I saw one, I wondered if they're some other faction fighting against... okay, it's an enemy so with the Syndicate? They look less like a classic comic supersoldier and more like a spec ops caricature. Which is fine if that's what you're looking for. Me, I like a more colourful and heavily armoured version of Syndicate Security, bald and with an evil grin.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2023, 09:03:01 pm by Juku121 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 14, 2023, 02:59:57 pm »
The aliens who came up with that one have weird body shapes? :) I find it kinda appealing that it looks weird, it's not meant for humans.

Fair enough. :) I still like the current one too much. But it's a nice bigob.

I also have slightly more 'alien-coloured' versions of the current Canister Gun, without the very human-looking pistol grip.
Sure.

Excellent.

As for graphic consistency: maybe the supersoldiers aren't best at it, but this one isn't any closer. Also this bald head is very overused (but it's a very minor thing, as it can be easily replaced).

As for Robin's desing, it was made for the Apocalypse setting, which has a very different style.

EDIT: Nice work on the canister gun. I'll include it, but recoloured back to black, at least for now. I thought about it hard and it simply looks best.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 03:05:50 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 20, 2023, 11:35:19 am »
I do spriting periodically. Is there anything you'd like to have made? I'm not inclined to make a bunch of stuff but I'd be happy to sprite up some enemies or whatever. I can touch up sprites as well. I've done a fair amount of spriting over the years; if you need to I can get you some examples. (I've done spriting for MKFusion, Metroid Prime 2D, several pokemon fan games, and a bunch of my own stuff)

I was offering in the other thread to make ya some ghost sprites since it seems like you dont have very many of them.

I know some of the paper dolls of various units and such could use some touching up.

Finally, if you decide you don't like the sprites I make you can always discard them. Not even really interested in credit; I just like the xcom files and wanna contribute a lil.

Offline Juku121

• Commander
  • We're all mad here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 20, 2023, 11:50:03 am »
I think Space Shield and Powered Dogs from the very first post are still wanted?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 20, 2023, 12:30:10 pm »
@sudtrap Thank you for the offer, much appreciated. I have some spriting needs, sure!
Some examples:
- Autopsy pictures. 37 still missing, I can provide a list.
- Scout Drone with a Taser Cannon.
- Hybrid catsuits (with psi circuitry).
- X-Com crew (civilians) in Dimension X base.
- Samurai Suit (Synthsuit Plus).
- Powered Suit for dogs, mentioned by Juku.
- A shield for Powered Suit, mentioned by Juku.
If you're interested in trying any of these, feel free to contact me by PM or Matrix (or Discord, if necessary).

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: September 25, 2023, 10:56:01 pm »
@Juku + Solarius

Can I get some more details about the dogs? If the design is different from the human power suits, do you have any concept art I can reference?

Also, I think you were joking before but you mentioned a dog mech; a big one.
How big are these suits?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: September 26, 2023, 01:36:25 pm »
@Juku + Solarius

Can I get some more details about the dogs? If the design is different from the human power suits, do you have any concept art I can reference?

Also, I think you were joking before but you mentioned a dog mech; a big one.
How big are these suits?

I've been thinking something like: https://disney.fandom.com/wiki/Robot_Dogs
Except, you know, not dieselpunk.

Yeah, I'm mostly serious. :P

Offline sudtrap

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2023, 10:29:48 am »
Hahaha! I haven't seen those things in AGES. Like 20 years!

Okay, that gives me an idea; so something that's very metallic and robotic. Probably just needs a lil' sci-fi sprinkled on top.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2023, 01:30:39 pm »
Hahaha! I haven't seen those things in AGES. Like 20 years!

Okay, that gives me an idea; so something that's very metallic and robotic. Probably just needs a lil' sci-fi sprinkled on top.

Exactly! :D

Making such a sprite would be a huge pain, at least to me. But it's an interesting challenge.