Author Topic: How Does One Remove the Bravery System From Within the Mod's Files? [Resloved]  (Read 1732 times)

Offline Quiteadecentusername

• Squaddie
  • A LONG HIBERNATION WOULD DO YOU GOOD
    • View Profile
The subject, should explain to everyone what I wish for.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 04:11:50 am by Quiteadecentusername »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Colonel
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
Not quite clear enough an explanation.

What about the bravery system do you want to remove?  The combat stress mechanic, whereby your gals lose moral each turn until their morale is approximately equal to bravery?  That mechanic is pretty central to the mod, along the lines of "If you don't want to deal with it, this mod is probably not your cup of tea."  However, you can look for all lines in the ruleset with morale: tag to define morale de-/re-generation on armors and remove them, or create a mini-mod that goes through and sets them systematically to flatHundred: 0.  You have your work cut out for you there.

Do you mean all the weapons/items/bonuses that use Bravery?  Look for things with powerBonus: and bravery: in the rulesets, and delete the bravery: part.  But again, this de-fangs a lot of the mod's interesting content.  You'd also have to remove the ability to have gals pilot craft.  More work there too.

Offline Meridian

• Commander
  • Die hard XCOM fan
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
The subject, should explain to everyone what I wish for.

No, it doesn't.
We will need a better description of what you want to achieve.

Offline Cristao

• Captain
    • View Profile
Far less stressful for one to create a soldiers mod making minimum and maximum values for bravery - 100 and 110 respectively.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Not quite clear enough an explanation.

What about the bravery system do you want to remove?  The combat stress mechanic, whereby your gals lose moral each turn until their morale is approximately equal to bravery?

Why would a soldier loose morale without doing anything?
Its logical that they loose morale if comrades die, or the are attacked with psi. The rest is just a kinda lame and dumb mechanic forcing the player to make riscful moves.

Offline Meridian

• Commander
  • Die hard XCOM fan
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Why would a soldier loose morale without doing anything?
Its logical that they loose morale if comrades die, or the are attacked with psi. The rest is just a kinda lame and dumb mechanic forcing the player to make riscful moves.

But you ARE doing something... you're waiting.
A cowardly person loses morale over time in a stressful situation... that's absolutely natural, in my opinion.

Example: If you come to a ghetto in the middle of the night, the first few seconds your morale is fine... then you start looking around, start worrying... then you'll see shadows everywhere, start biting your fingernails... after a while you'll start hearing voices, start sweating... probably nervously walk from one place to another looking for safest place... and eventually you'll shit your pants after hearing an unknown sound or any similar trigger. The more cowardly you are, the quicker this process will be.

Btw. there's countless historical examples of soldiers panicking/berserking after prolonged time hiding/defending (e.g. in a siege or standoff)... they just couldn't stand the pressure, even if there was no "immediate" danger. Time increases fear, fear lowers morale.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 11:55:50 pm by Meridian »

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
It depends how many morale they loose.
I see your logic in the mechanism, makes kinda, no clue how it was implemented or how strong.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
It depends how many morale they loose.
I see your logic in the mechanism, makes kinda, no clue how it was implemented or how strong.

Long story short, the mechanism is: morale gradually approaches Bravery every turn. Which means that people with high Bravery actually recover morale, slowly.

Offline Absalom

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
It's worst in the early game when you can't afford to mass hire and fire all the total garbage recruits.  The absolute nadir of this is landing at one of the hugely convoluted maps where you can't abort and skip because of the need of money, having your recruits constantly tantrum just trying to find the last civilian. 

Now that I think of it, unless psionics are involved, I generally get more panic attacks from tantrums than actual combat.  In that case, either they are dying or getting kills, both of which increase morale.

Still, I wouldn't remove it.

Offline tylor

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
On the other hand, the longer your troops are below 50 morale, the bigger is the chance they will get +10 bravery fir this combat. It can be said that Bravery is the stat that you can't help but train, if it is low.

Offline legionof1

• Colonel
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
No starting level of bravery is entirely beyond fixing. That is if your willing to pay the cost of a gal being largely useless for several missions while you leave her gibbering in the landing craft unarmed. 10 bravery per mission mean even those gals with 10 starting only need 4-5 runs to reach a stable 50 stat. Assuming officer effect and limited loses 50 bravery is perfectly suitable for non psi enemies. 

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
Long story short, the mechanism is: morale gradually approaches Bravery every turn. Which means that people with high Bravery actually recover morale, slowly.

Yes i unterstood that, but how much morale do they loose each turn?
2 or 5 or 10? Makes a big difference.

Offline legionof1

• Colonel
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
As i understand it combat stress is the value used to govern decay. IF i recall correctly the base is 4 with any modifier for armor added or subtracted. The stress total is subtracted from current morale at the start of unit owners turn IF bravery is less than current morale. It is possible to drop below your bravery, as this is a subtraction action based on if x then y logic.

Because of this high stress values(10+) can force morale tests on otherwise stable 50 bravery gals.

Offline Meridian

• Commander
  • Die hard XCOM fan
    • View Profile
    • My Wiki
Yes i unterstood that, but how much morale do they loose each turn?
2 or 5 or 10? Makes a big difference.

It's configurable per armor... piratez usually does: new morale = old morale * 0.8 + bravery * 0.2 + constant
(available for configuration are at least all current stats, all max stats and all their combinations)

E.g. if current morale = 100, bravery = 60 and constant = 2... new morale = 100 * 0.8 + 60 * 0.2 + 2 = 80 + 12 + 2 = 94

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
It's configurable per armor... piratez usually does: new morale = old morale * 0.8 + bravery * 0.2 + constant
(available for configuration are at least all current stats, all max stats and all their combinations)

E.g. if current morale = 100, bravery = 60 and constant = 2... new morale = 100 * 0.8 + 60 * 0.2 + 2 = 80 + 12 + 2 = 94

Ok so it is configurable per armor type. So no consistency thoughout the game, if the modder decides so.
A fixed rate would be simpler.

Also loosing 6 morale per turn is kinda harsh in the example your provided.
It not a feature i would like to use anyway.
But thanks for the explanation.