aliens

Author Topic: Why HWP is HWP?  (Read 8352 times)

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Why HWP is HWP?
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2016, 05:44:49 pm »
I guess this is awkward to take into account at all times... I mean, load a skyranger with 12/14 unarmored soldiers, try to change one's armor to something 2x2 : Does the game refuse to do it? What if it's the environment adjustment (OXCE+) which replaces a 1x1 unit by a 2x2 unit ?
Oh and there's a possible difference which I forgot : What about stunned/killed bodies ? Can you carry a stunned 2x2 teammate, or a quarter of him at a time? Even witout moving body, what happens when they come to their senses, and there's no free 2x2 space? (door closed/rotated, or teammate blocking one of the squares)

All valid questions, I already contemplated some of them.
I don't have universal answers unfortunately... but general idea will be to introduce some sort of separate limit for different soldier types; treat 2x2 soldiers the same way as 2x2 enemies (i.e. can't pick up, heal, etc.) and build in a few sanity checks to discard some (inevitably incoming) crazy modder ideas to keep it all from falling apart.

My goal is to allow some soldier-like properties for HWP's (re-naming, experience gain, recovery/repair-time, ...) ... not "make everything compatible with everything". E.g. allowing both 1x1 and 2x2 armors on the same soldier type makes little sense; and such things will be disabled for common benefit.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 07:51:49 pm »
I guess this is awkward to take into account at all times... I mean, load a skyranger with 12/14 unarmored soldiers, try to change one's armor to something 2x2 : Does the game refuse to do it? What if it's the environment adjustment (OXCE+) which replaces a 1x1 unit by a 2x2 unit ?
Oh and there's a possible difference which I forgot : What about stunned/killed bodies ? Can you carry a stunned 2x2 teammate, or a quarter of him at a time? Even witout moving body, what happens when they come to their senses, and there's no free 2x2 space? (door closed/rotated, or teammate blocking one of the squares)
a) it will refuse to change armor
b) I don't know how OXCE+ handle environment adjustment in that case.
c) you can't pick 2x2 units even if its solder, whey work exacaly as any other 2x2 unit.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2016, 11:42:01 pm »
E.g. allowing both 1x1 and 2x2 armors on the same soldier type makes little sense; and such things will be disabled for common benefit.

But how else could you make Space Marines wear both standard Aquila and a Terminator Armour, for example? Have a separate marine type for the Terminator? Could work, but it would be kinda weird.

And the same applies to Piratez. There's the old idea of biker gals, using 2x2 motorcycles to move around. And even excluding that, 2x2 armours have been planned for a very long time, there are just various technical problems to solve first (like custom moving sound for said bikes).

In X-Com Files, I plan to turn all HWPs to soldier types, so you could have an "AI core" which can be installed into various "armours" - a standard HWP, a small drone, and so on. These units also vary in size.

All I want to say is that it appears an important feature for pretty much all mods using OXCE+, so I don't think it can be ignored. I understand it is problematic though...
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 11:52:38 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2017, 09:37:52 pm »
Meanwhile, i found one more necessary string to create hwp.
Code: [Select]
fixedWeapon: trueWithout this, item will not spawn unit.