aliens

Author Topic: Hello there, new to game and I have some questions  (Read 5447 times)

Offline Kazimiera

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
Hello there, new to game and I have some questions
« on: November 20, 2016, 11:30:35 am »
Hello there.

this is my first time to play classic x-com game. used to play a lot of this kind of games before(JA, Silentstorm etc) and one of my friend suggested try this moded x-com, and it does quickly hooked me up :3
 after some fail attempt to survive early stage. slowly understand of how to play this game. and I was managed to survive first base attack event that was really very hard. yet, there some newbie questions is still unsolved.
 couldn't find any community about this games in my country, I have to ask here sorry for my poor grammer. <3

Q1) the Smoke Grenade
 Logically, smoke in most tactical games is used mainly to block enemy's line of sight to gain free maneuver, while forcing them to move from their well defended position right?
 However, in this game, smokes often lead to inappropriate situations for me. when I deploy smokes on the known enemy position, somehow they know where my squad is. While my squad often fails to acquire visiblity on them and getting retaliated hard.
  and when I deploy smoke on my team defensively, or at the start of mission. Sometimes getting attacks through smoke while my team is blinded. sometime it works as I expected though. mostly they don't.
 It's hard to watch losing mutual support within the squad too.

Q2) Stat growth
 it seems, unlike the remake one, stats raise with relevant actions. (ex. shooting increase gun stat)
 then, As long as I manage to keep one of my team members to survive long enoguh, could he achieve max stats on everything? or are there total stat cap to prevent this?

Q3) Area Attack
 How do you aim the tiles where hostile units that blocked sight stand, if attacker could see that area. or when I want throw explosive over there.
 hate to see those los blocked messages X)

this for now :3.
 thanks

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Hello there, new to game and I have some questions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:04:21 pm »
1) Smoke in the unmodded game works exactly as you would expect. However, this makes the game very easy, so in Piratez there exist enemies that can see through smoke. This ability is called "Heat Vision" in the Bootypeadia. If the peadia says a unit has heat vision (Ninjas, Reticulans, Osiron security), smoke won't protect your squad from them seeing you.

2) There are stat caps (example: Tu max = 100, firing max = 120), but they are the same for all your gals. If they survive long enough, every gal can get to that maximum.

3) I'm not sure if I understand the question. Can you explain the situation a bit more, with a screenshot maybe?

Offline Kazimiera

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 02:44:38 pm »
Thx for quick answer :3

Somehow I thought 'Heat Vision' was for increase spotting range lol well, thats make sense.

I've got help from my english teacher for wrrite question 1 and 2, on 3 I made that question along and I knew this would went to wrong way.
letme change that question, since that's very rarly happen to me.

Since finished reserch and able to use hvymg like lovely custom shooota guns. I would like to use them to shoot through weakcovers, wooden wall and small obstacles with full burst. but they denied to shot, because simply los is not clear to them.

I mean is there anyhow force them to attack green contacts that non los target???

Offline redrat9595

• Sergeant
  • Good Times
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 03:13:08 pm »
Should be as easy as holding CTRL down when you click to fire.

Offline Dioxine

• Commander
  • punk not dead
    • View Profile
    • Nocturnal Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 03:41:16 pm »
Yes, you can force-fire by holding ctrl. However this will not work for grenades and other arcing weapon. If you can't target someone with these, nothing can be done about it other than changing your position or destroying the offending piece of terrain.

Smoke grenades, while they don't protect you completely against enemies with Thermal Vision (ThV), they protect you partially. A lot of smoke will conceal you from them as well. The problem is that you can't safely scout out of smoke against such enemies; the solution is deploying your own scouts with Thermovision (Smokey armor has a bit thermovision, and Sniper outfit has a lot), or scouting from the flank. The basic idea is, smoke isn't foolproof and using cover & flanking is always important.

Offline Kazimiera

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 04:45:44 pm »
oh my... I know there is a way to force attack, but it was that simple? how I didnt tried that.. <3

ohhhhhh  it works. Beautilfully shoooot their head from no where 8D

and thx for tips about smokeops. always felt disadvantaged before.

thanks again for help guys :3..
« Last Edit: November 20, 2016, 06:40:17 pm by Kazimiera »

Offline Boltgun

• Colonel
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
    • Piratez let's play
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 11:13:14 am »
Also, remember that enemies will keep 'seeing' your gals after they have been spotted (or after they make a good shot), even if you drop smoke or if you break sight. The later is still the best because the enemy must decide first if running headfirst into a deathtrap would be a good idea or not.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2016, 09:41:05 pm »
Btw, just me or smoke deals more stun damage than vanilla? I have to be very careful with gals on smoke, especially hurt ones.

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 09:43:22 pm »
Yes, smoke damage is re-labeled as choking damage, and most your starting armors have 400% resistance to it, so 4x the damage!  Armors that don't mention choking resistance mentioned in their bootypedia article take vanilla levels of smoke-stun damage, but you'll be researching a while for those.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2016, 09:54:43 pm »
Snip
2) There are stat caps (example: Tu max = 100, firing max = 120), but they are the same for all your gals. If they survive long enough, every gal can get to that maximum.
snip

Not entirely accurate the "lunatic" type gals have 150 stamina limit other types have 140.

Offline Martin

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2016, 03:40:29 am »
I think you can also still go one ot two points over your limit if you get lucky in the last stat increase roll like in basic XCom.

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2016, 04:50:34 am »
I think you can also still go one ot two points over your limit if you get lucky in the last stat increase roll like in basic XCom.

It's possible for everything but bravery which never rolls instead increasing by ten to max