aliens

Author Topic: InMemorium's Tips for UFO Defense and TFTD  (Read 4778 times)

Offline Inmemorium

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
InMemorium's Tips for UFO Defense and TFTD
« on: December 17, 2016, 10:38:36 pm »
These are just the things I learned through speedrunning both original X-Com titles.

Important for both titles:

SMOKES
-As much as smokes are a love hate relationship for me, smokes are necessary(at least for speed runs).  The reason why smokes are actually very good is that they prevent reaction fire on your squad.  The way to smoke out is to preemptively throw smoke where you want to walk with the mindset that you will stop your squaddie in the middle the the smoke you walk through.

The other method is to push a squaddie or two forward, then smoke them out after they run out of TUs.  Yes, the aliens get maybe 2 or 3 more tiles of vision in smoke than you will, however - SMOKES AFFECT ENEMY AI PATHING/DECISIONS.  I have proven it on stream after turn 20 and with the still prevalent TFTD alien turn glitch near turn 50+ in OpenXCom.  Smokes cause the aliens to change their tactics regardless of where you throw them as long as they are near your own troops.

GRENADE EXPLOSIVES
-Unless you are a legend with keeping your troops spread out and alive, don't use explosives.  You don't need them.  If anything, starter tank with rockets is fine in Ufo Defense.  Other than that, I never really use them.  Your squaddies(before researching Psi/M.C.) are going to be mentally unstable.  By carrying grenade type explosives(and rockets/HE rounds), you are just asking for a Beserk or alien control teamkill.

If you really want to use explosives and guided rocket systems, wait until you get troops with 70+ psi/m.c. strength.  At that point, you no longer have to worry about committing mass suicide.

ALIENS HAVE PATTERNS - SPAWN AND CAMPING
-UFO Defense, most of your missions you undertake will be farmland and terror missions(unless you do all missions of course).  In farmland missions, aliens will almost always spawn in 1 house at a minimum(the only time they do not is it if is a 1 seater or if you damaged the ship).  They will always be at the windows in the 2 story no-roof access house; they will usually be on the roof or in the middle of the second story for the house that has roof access.

In terror missions, aliens will camp various windows for the buildings.  Before you go stomping through the map, try blind firing at some of the windows ON THE OUTSIDE of the building.  Floaters and Sectoids in particular enjoy camping outside the buildings at the windows.

TFTD, aliens enjoy camping in reef biomes and around the corners in the big-small sub.  In very large ships, the majority will camp in the top level.  In terror missions, assume that there is always a Deep One at the top of the towers and buildings until turn 21.  Even after 21, many aliens will take a few turns to climb a tower then come back down.

EARLY GAME FACILITIES/EXTRA BASES
-My layouts are identical to both games.  Regardless if you play custom initial base or standard layout, you will ALWAYS want to build Alien Containment starting as soon as the game starts.  Roughly 85% of the time, it will be completed before the first terror mission, which ,in TFTD, is a huge advantage for you.

After the AC, build essentials - Living Quarters 2, General Stores 2, Lab, Workshop, Large Radar/Sonar.  Any order is fine.  Any other buildings are extra without only a M.C. Lab being necessary for TFTD(unless you enjoy being Jedi-Mind-Tricked all game long).

Your extra bases only need: 1 Hangar, 1 Large Radar/Sonar, General Store, and a Living Quarters.  The LQ mostly there to stock some troops for base defense missions. 

You can build 1 semi complete base extra starting base in North Africa(Red Sea) in either game - you'll only be mission a LQ.  Build it right away.

MISSIONS TO ACTUALLY UNDERTAKE
-Take this tip as is: I do not undertake any missions I do not have to.  You still get points for the month for just shooting down ANY alien ship/sub.  There are only truly a few missions that must be done in order to complete either UFO Defense or TFTD.

Both:  Attempt the first terror mission.  It is a great weapon stockpile mission early-game(assuming you don't blow everything up).  In TFTD, it is virtually 100% necessary if you want super fast ION ARMOR.  That is assuming you built Alien Containment right away.  Stun rods are actually quite useful.  After first terror mission, if you have captured a Deep One, you can skip every terror mission thereafter. NOTE: You really need to still land at every terror mission the abort.  You lose fewer points!

Early Game:  attempt the first two or three small ships/subs.  If they were not damaged, you will have plenty of Zrbite/Elerium for item building.  You never need to attempt any other missions for early game unless you are low on funds and need fast cash.

Mid Game: attempt ANY Very Large ship/sub.  At a minimum, you need to see the aliens on those crafts.  For UFO Defense, avoid Snakemen.  Any thing else is "doable" with Floaters being the easiest.  The faster you capture a Commander, the faster you get end game research finished.  Also, completing a Very Large craft mission will give you some great bootie - many power sources, alloys, elerium, weapons, etc.  Most you can sell for a huge income boost.

Late Game:  in UFO Defense, you only need to attempt a base attack if you could not capture a commander from a Very Large Ship.  The VL Ships are better missions because you can control the entire map much easier.  In TFTD - nothing.  If you really want to prevent Artifact sites, sure - attempt those.  Unless you are feeling overpowered OR if you need a Lobsterman Commander - avoid base attacks.  You'll do nothing but watch guided torpedos hit you in the face for a few turns at some point during the mission.

GEAR
-my soldiers' loadouts are surprisingly simple for speedrunning.
Both games:

Early game - rifle/jet harpoon, clip, 2 smokes/dye minimum, taser, and a night light if you can afford the weight.
Mid/End game - same as early but replace your primary weapon with Plasma/Heavy Plasma/Blasta Rifle/Sonic Cannon.  If you have any PSI/M.C. troops, carry the control device in your off-hand.  If you have commanders already, no more tasers required.  If you still need to capture anything, drop most tasers and take stun launcher/shok launchers instead.

For very large ships/bases in UFO Defense, you can take proxy mines to contol alien movement as aliens will avoid walking over mines except for terror units.  Place them in the middle of 3 tile choke points.

RESEARCH
- again, only follow this tip if you want optimal research trees. I'll let you look into research trees so I don't spoil it for you.

First goal in both games(assuming 100% of research into 1 topic at a time), Plasma Cannon/Sonic Oscillator.  The faster you can shoot down everything except Very Large craft, the better.  You increase your score dramatically for each month and you will no longer need to waste money on unreliable missile based weapons and buying more crafts.  These long range weapons keep everything away from your Interceptors/Barracudas except Very Large alien crafts.

Power Suit/ION Armor should be your next goal.  Even taking an extra hit or two can change the outcome of a battle.

First alien craft gives you your first REAL tank to build.  Your own Hovertank with Plasma or Displacer with Sonics should be the only tanks you need as they carry alot of ammo and take as beating.

Last, clean up any alien research if necessary to get the end-game goals of final mission and ultimate crafts.

BASE PLACEMENT
- There are more optimal base placement guides, however, I felt I should include this anyway.  My base placements are mostly the same for both titles.

First base - North America in the Florida Region
Second Base - North Africa/Red Sea
Third base - UFO Defense Taiwan area/TFTD South Sea just north west of Australia
No other full bases needed for Ufo Defense after this however, you should build radar only bases in South Africa, South America, Antarctica, and the North Pole.  You can put Interceptors in them if you feel they are needed but 3 are plenty.
Fourth Base - North Pacific either in the Bering or closer to Siberia
No other full bases needed for TFTD after this point, but you should build sonar only bases in the Arctic, South Atlantic, South Pacific.  Fill with Barracudas as needed.

CLOSING WORDS
Thank for taking the time to read my guide.  Hope you gained a little insight from it.  This guide is based from the perspective of speed running each title as that is how I play them now.  You can still play the games 100% with the given tips.  I have taken TFTD almost in year 2 on a run before with only 1 nation backed out of the project.

I also only play Ironman with Veteran or Superhuman difficulties.

If you want to see the stuff in action:
twitch.tv/inmemorium
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 10:51:15 pm by Inmemorium »