aliens

Author Topic: What features will 2.0 have vs. 1.0? (besides TFTD support)?  (Read 5960 times)

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
What features will 2.0 have vs. 1.0? (besides TFTD support)?
« on: December 11, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »
I never much liked TFTD, since it was just a rehash of the first game with an underwater theme, and its main added "feature" was larger maps, that took forever to clear and slowed down gameplay.

I know OpenXcom 2.0 will add support for TFTD, but after doing my best to look around the openxcom.org website, I can't find any sort of definitive list of what the goals are for 2.0, and which features are currently implemented in the nightlies -- the changelog doesn't help me see the big picture.

Or put another way, why should I run the nightlies instead of 1.0 if I'm only interested in playing the first game (with options that improve gameplay) in the series?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
Re: What features will 2.0 have vs. 1.0? (besides TFTD support)?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2016, 08:56:28 pm »
Or put another way, why should I run the nightlies instead of 1.0 if I'm only interested in playing the first game (with options that improve gameplay) in the series?

The nightlies have the following features:
* TFTD support
* A ton of bugs fixed from version 1.0 and more still in the process of either being fixed or about to be discovered and fixed until 2.0 gets released, and the fixes apply to both UFO/TFTD
* A ton of new options/features for modders/players that previously were hardcoded in 1.0 or didn't exist at all, and can be used for either UFO/TFTD

You should definitely get the nightlies instead of 1.0 - you'll need to periodically update the nightly you're running, but it's as simple as unzipping the file to where you have openxcom installed and replacing all existing files.

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 09:29:54 pm »
Understood.   But is there some sort of document or webpage that lists the specifics of the new features that have been (or are being, or will be) added?

Offline Hobbes

• Commander
  • Infiltration subroutine in progress
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2016, 10:24:10 pm »
Understood.   But is there some sort of document or webpage that lists the specifics of the new features that have been (or are being, or will be) added?

Not as I understand you'd like it to be. The main issue is that at this point the difference between 1.0 and nightlies is likely the same between 1.0 and the original game. So a list of all the new features added to nightlies could have 50 or 100 or 200 items by now and in the process there wasn't a need to compile such list. And few people play or develop mods for 1.0 nowadays, so not much of an incentive for the list to be created.

Most of the new nightlies features can also only be played through mods and they don't bring any changes when you're playing vanilla UFO or TFTD in OpenXCom. And those are simply too long to describe, just for the Geoscape, terrains or missions, which are my main modding area, a whole ton has been changed from 1.0 to the nightlies.

Finally, you can get an idea of the ruleset (coding) differences by comparing the ruleset references for both 1.0 and the nightlies: https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_(OpenXcom) and https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php/Ruleset_Reference_Nightly_(OpenXcom)

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2016, 03:03:11 am »
I'll write up a detailed changelog when we're closer to 2.0.
For player-facing features, you're looking at more bugs fixed, more accurate X-COM simulation specially with regards to AI and weapon / LOF issues, more UI shortcuts, more options, more translations, save converter, endgame stats, soldier diaries, etc.

Offline Nerva

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2016, 04:26:13 am »
I noticed that one of the issues with the vanilla game is the constant weapon accuracy that does not take into account range, and a correspondingly minimal benefit to being behind cover.   It seems to me a good optional improvement would be to translate the game's stated to-hit percentages into some sort of equivalent error arc with the same effective percentage chance to hit at a standardized range (10 squares, maybe?).   Is anyone implementing something like that?

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2016, 04:32:00 am »
The shown accuracy is already the approximate hit chance at 20 tiles, I think.  It isn't the exact chance to hit wherever you click, but more like a standard deviation of the firing angle.  For example, it is still possible to miss a clear 100% shot at long (20+ tile) range.

More notably, you have practically 100% chance to hit when at 1 or 2 tiles.  Also, have you tried UFO Extender Accuracy in options->mods?  It makes accuracy drop off at range for snap and auto shots.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 04:35:12 am by ohartenstein23 »

Offline coze

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 07:00:55 am »
Will 2.0 be compatible with 1.0 mods ?

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:14:22 am »
Will 2.0 be compatible with 1.0 mods ?

No.

Good news: there are almost no 1.0 mods left.

Offline SupSuper

• Lazy Developer
  • Administrator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2017, 07:47:43 pm »
Most 1.0 mods should still be compatible, you just have to give them a folder.

Offline hellrazor

• Commander
  • Deep Ruleset Digger & Bughunter
    • View Profile
    • Github Account
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2017, 08:20:08 pm »
Most 1.0 mods should still be compatible, you just have to give them a folder.

Mods which do have custom alienDeployment, mapScripts, terrain definitions etc.. all need to be overworked.
And of course made compatible to new Mod standards.

Offline Testbox360

• Squaddie
  • Rookie Friendly Fire Accuracy: 101%
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 05:34:27 pm »
What are some ways that mods will be effected? Can their be more mods that change the game even more so? I'm assuming Area 51 and other major mods will be updated for 2.0 right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2017, 06:13:03 pm »
What are some ways that mods will be effected? Can their be more mods that change the game even more so? I'm assuming Area 51 and other major mods will be updated for 2.0 right?

If there are no radical changes before 2.0, I expect these mods to work normally. And most major mods are being updated regularly, it it should be OK.