aliens

Author Topic: Graphic Gallery  (Read 127940 times)

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Graphic Gallery
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2019, 11:31:34 am »
Ok, used some sprites from adjacent topic, i have done these terrains:
Cool! But I think it would be nicer, if OXC could handler larger sprites, instead of downscaling them. Most people have more than 320x240 pixels on screen. And most original art could use some retouch for higher resolution too. That should be a priority of OXC devs ;)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2019, 01:13:25 pm »
Cool! But I think it would be nicer, if OXC could handler larger sprites, instead of downscaling them. Most people have more than 320x240 pixels on screen. And most original art could use some retouch for higher resolution too. That should be a priority of OXC devs ;)

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:12:34 am by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2019, 01:37:00 pm »
That should be a priority of OXC devs ;)

I think I can safely speak also for all other OXC and OXCE devs when I say that this is the absolute bottom of our priorities.

Offline The Reaver of Darkness

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 08, 2019, 12:44:51 pm »
Most people have more than 320x240 pixels on screen. And most original art could use some retouch for higher resolution too. That should be a priority of OXC devs ;)
Hand art is way easier when I'm limited to fewer pixels. I find the end result looks just fine. We don't need or want more pixels.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 09, 2019, 12:00:24 am »
I think I can safely speak also for all other OXC and OXCE devs when I say that this is the absolute bottom of our priorities.
What about converting graphics to simpler formats, like those in Wesnoth? That would promote modding. Say on the first run OXC could dump all data to PNG, WAV and CSV, and then uses these files. Now modding would be as easy as opening CSV in a spreadsheet app. That way supporting HD-graphics would be a matter of adding support to blitting routine.

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 09, 2019, 12:30:11 am »
What about converting graphics to simpler formats, like those in Wesnoth? That would promote modding. Say on the first run OXC could dump all data to PNG, WAV and CSV, and then uses these files. Now modding would be as easy as opening CSV in a spreadsheet app. That way supporting HD-graphics would be a matter of adding support to blitting routine.

Modders already use PNG, and there are very easy to use utilities that convert original resources to GIF/PNG too.

Modders already use WAV, and all original sound effects are already in WAV format too. They are packed in an archive (CAT), but it can also be easily extracted using a tool (not that you would need that for anything really).

Modders already use YAML, and all vanilla rules are already in YAML too, no conversion needed.

Offline Yankes

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 09, 2019, 01:13:28 am »
That way supporting HD-graphics would be a matter of adding support to blitting routine.
No, if you really want you could today load 2x bigger sprites to game and it would not crash, but problem lay in other place, offset.
Game is full of magic numbers that fit current graphic size and completely do not work with any other size. And adding arbitrary sizes will be hell of a work to do.

Offline Nikita_Sadkov

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 09, 2019, 06:27:41 pm »
No, if you really want you could today load 2x bigger sprites to game and it would not crash, but problem lay in other place, offset.
Game is full of magic numbers that fit current graphic size and completely do not work with any other size. And adding arbitrary sizes will be hell of a work to do.
Hope one day you will get to refactor it. Would love to see a Diablo mod with original sprites, instead of downscaled

Offline davide

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2019, 10:21:09 pm »
 :o
which mod contains this castle map ?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2019, 12:04:58 am »
:o
which mod contains this castle map ?

The X-Com Files.
The terrain was actually made by Dioxine for Piratez, but hasn't been used yet.

Offline ViperWaifu

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2019, 11:26:19 am »
Something I started working on today. Not sure if I'll finish it; it was agonizing enough getting it to look good just for north and south rotations.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2019, 08:48:02 pm »
Hey, this is...
...let's say, inevitable! :)

Good luck with that!

Offline bulletdesigner

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 18, 2019, 07:13:36 pm »
2x2 hwp GDI wolverine template use&enjoy before the ork conversion

Offline The Martian

• Commander
  • "It implores you to listen to its arguments..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 12, 2019, 09:33:08 pm »
I worked on these a couple years ago and started building out a mod. The idea was laser weapons that used power capacitors, then after elerium they would be unlimited. I have floor and hand graphics as well, I believe, if there's any interest.
Did Oftcrash upload the HandOb & FloorOb images for these cool looking lasers?

I've been looking but I can't seem to find them.

Offline new_civilian

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 05, 2019, 11:28:57 am »
Some random stuff.

I made those ranks file for me, as i simply could never tell which rank a soldier was... ::)  ;D

no star -> rookie and then 1 to 5 stars for the ranks. Easy to understand... even for those deep-in-the-night game sessions.

The other sectoid files are

a) a sectoid with kneel-ability (old file) WITH an Inventory screen
b) an armored XCom sectoid (based on the WOS mod's armored sectoid). No kneeling.