aliens

Author Topic: Sometimes you just have to run  (Read 4638 times)

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Sometimes you just have to run
« on: November 23, 2016, 12:47:10 pm »
I often find it hard to make myself retreat, even when things look really bad.

In my current game, I just recently bought a Pachyderm, and so I'm finally able to follow ships long enough to see them land.  8)

Unfortunately, this is the first ship I was able to follow...

But hey, one of my gals has a boarding gun... maybe if I play it safe I can at least get a little bit of loot, right? Lets just open the door and see what we're facing:

:o  :o  :o I think this is going to be the first time I retreat without having even taken a step off the ship!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2016, 12:53:24 pm by karadoc »

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
Re: Sometimes you just have to run
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2016, 01:24:07 pm »
 :P Try not having doors on the ship.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2016, 02:57:49 pm »
Heh, I ran into a similar situation in my most recent campaign.  Had a gal with a minigun though, and I decided to wait it out a bit, long enough for a commando to kindly walk up to the door so I could gank him and run.

Offline CaptainCorkscrew

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Let's Play: XPiratez
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »
Well, at least the Mercs were only carrying Gauss weapons, but judging by the size of the ship there certainly were plenty, plus probably the usual two tanks that could just blast your pachyderm...
I am curious what you will say to Siberia...

Offline karadoc

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 11:54:12 pm »
Well, at least the Mercs were only carrying Gauss weapons, but judging by the size of the ship there certainly were plenty, plus probably the usual two tanks that could just blast your pachyderm...
I am curious what you will say to Siberia...
Yeah, I'm sure there were a lot of them. From memory, I think that kind of ship is a frigate.

As for Siberia; do you mean the special enclave mission, where you get the Russian files? I don't expect to discover the location of that for a long time yet. I'm still in the first year of the game. At the time of that screenshot, my soldiers were using things like camo paint and hammers...

However, I recently managed to tail a government military transport (I don't have hyper-wave decoders, but I recognise the style of ship). Capturing that ship was highly lucrative! It's still very early in the game, and now I have a few suits of combat armour, and two defender armour (1 damaged). I also got a rocket launcher, a mortar, and a few other big guns. So next time I meet the mercs, they won't know what hit them! (They'll probably be like "hmm. I wonder what that thing we just squashed was", but at least they'll have noticed us!)

Offline Roxis231

• Colonel
  • Catching the feral kitten hiding in my rubish bin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2016, 10:03:45 am »
A while back, I had just started a new XPirates game, V0.98j or V0.99 I think, not sure - the version that first introduced the Airbus anyway.

First Shipping I see - a very small one - goes and lands just as the Airbus approches it.  Thinking 'Score - easy loot for the first mission' I go ahead with it.

I go four turns without seeing any anyone, and then after ending turn four I spot Three Pinkeys.  Shit, Doom mission and I only have tribal armour and flintlocks.

Proceded to run back to the Airbus only to lose gals fast and have the last one be cut down by a Pinkey just ONE tile from the ship. Should have run earlyer I think.

Offline ivandogovich

• Commander
  • X-Com Afficionado
    • View Profile
    • Ivan Dogovich Youtube
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 01:43:36 am »
Not exactly related, but I just had to share:

That Feeling When the Trader's Guild Build Right on Top of your Surveillance Base.
:/

Offline legionof1

• Commander
  • Bullets go that way. Money comes this way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2016, 02:12:30 am »
Ah so these are the guys that really pissed of the brass.

Offline Slaughter

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2016, 08:46:47 am »
I really need to learn when to cut and run, my first run was pretty much loss because of that (also playing at hardest dificulty lol). Losing the Airbus HURTS!

Shit, I just lost the airbus to some guild shipping in late March, because I thought it was going to be just some civilian ship cakewalk and had a stupid sniper duel where all my sniper gals did a musket/flintlock enfilade to try to kill the damn guy. Had a melee gal just lying around so I decided to try going elsewhere, get a flank and run that guy down. Gal turned just right and up and BLAM some weirdo pink explosion knocks down half my team. Kept trying to kill guild security but failed, did a run on that weird woman with the launcher but she fired again and knocked down more people.

Then my last gal got shot to unconsciousness by some lucky SOB.

Airbus lost with all hands, NO FATALITIES lol.

I should have just bunkered inside the airbus until the enemy came.