aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1107259 times)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #1080 on: April 28, 2018, 09:34:18 pm »
Of course it requires researching some prerequisites first, like 95% of alien tech!
This is a simple Tech Tree Viewer question, not a forum material. Especially in bug reports.

I see, there was a misunderstanding: I assumed that since Alien Electronics is an item that shows up in the research tree, you had to research it after doing the same with an alien engineer to unlock the topic, but instead you have to be lucky enough for the alien to give said discovery to you as a "freebie".

I failed to find any such case. All Apocalypse people have proper sell values.
Please indicate what exactly sells for 0.

It's a very rare case for an even rarer mission: During the "Riots" and such of the Apocalypse faction, sometimes "extra" enemies that do not belong to said faction show up. The game classifies them as Civilians and Local Fighters, very easy enemies and armed with light weaponry, both of which can be sold for 0 $ if one or more of them happen to survive to the end. I also found an unarmed enemy Civilian during an "ammo alloy share slander" level, which also sold for nothing.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #1081 on: April 28, 2018, 09:43:54 pm »
I see, there was a misunderstanding: I assumed that since Alien Electronics is an item that shows up in the research tree, you had to research it after doing the same with an alien engineer to unlock the topic, but instead you have to be lucky enough for the alien to give said discovery to you as a "freebie".

Yes, you're right...
Sorry, I think I may have another model in mind. I sometimes have trouble remembering which version I've chosen. :P

It's a very rare case for an even rarer mission: During the "Riots" and such of the Apocalypse faction, sometimes "extra" enemies that do not belong to said faction show up. The game classifies them as Civilians and Local Fighters, very easy enemies and armed with light weaponry, both of which can be sold for 0 $ if one or more of them happen to survive to the end. I also found an unarmed enemy Civilian during an "ammo alloy share slander" level, which also sold for nothing.

Ah yes! Now I get it. Fixing.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 01, 2018, 04:40:28 pm »

First thing first: Cyber Armors rock!

Too bad they're expensive as hell.

Now for the bugs: Solarius, for some reason I still got the "sky resort trouble" mission despite having wiped out the basic 4 cults. To my surprise there were Exalt guys here with subpar guns. Is that intended? It would be wise to replace them with Osiron Goons if that mission is supposed to reappear. Another thing is that somehow I can research the "hovering rocket-launcher tank" even though it becomes immediately available upon unlocking the "UFO Construction" stuff.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 02, 2018, 10:10:09 am »
First thing first: Cyber Armors rock!

Too bad they're expensive as hell.

:)

Now for the bugs: Solarius, for some reason I still got the "sky resort trouble" mission despite having wiped out the basic 4 cults. To my surprise there were Exalt guys here with subpar guns. Is that intended? It would be wise to replace them with Osiron Goons if that mission is supposed to reappear.

I never expected anyone to finish off the cult before getting Promotion 3. :P The mission will stop after this. I can probably improve it.

Another thing is that somehow I can research the "hovering rocket-launcher tank" even though it becomes immediately available upon unlocking the "UFO Construction" stuff.

Yeah, it's a mess... Fixing.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 02, 2018, 04:24:46 pm »
I never expected anyone to finish off the cult before getting Promotion 3. :P The mission will stop after this. I can probably improve it.

That was a random situation and one that likely won't repeat.

Funnily enough then I broke the record twice: First accidentally during earlier vesions when the Sectoids lacked bullshit force-fields and thus were easy to capture, now intentionally when I discovered how exploitable Chtonite mini-bases are. Seriously, I suggest you tone down their numbers because despite being a "small" base, they tend to have alien types of every type, including Commanders. They also have hi-tech gear like Blaster Launchers, that while they sound terrifying, they work poorly in such cramped spaces*, so they ought to have less explosive weaponry IMO. The map benefits more the player than the aliens here due their lack of melee focus.

Just my thoughts.

Also, Lobstermen should have a claw-hand or something in their paperdolls to show they're armed with melee attacks. I know it's a minor downside, but I was surprised when an apparently harmless lobsterman that was running away, turned back and ate one of my soldiers. Thankfully Brainjacks work against them.

That reminds me: Are there underwater-proof armors besides the Diving Suit? The game is not telling so far.

*Osiron vessels suffer of this to a lesser extent: Osiron Goons with RPGs tend to accidentally kill themselves when trying to attack you, or when they go berserk.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 02, 2018, 04:48:31 pm »
That was a random situation and one that likely won't repeat.

Yeah, I've tweaked it a little. Still not perfect, but already better.

Funnily enough then I broke the record twice: First accidentally during earlier vesions when the Sectoids lacked bullshit force-fields and thus were easy to capture, now intentionally when I discovered how exploitable Chtonite mini-bases are. Seriously, I suggest you tone down their numbers because despite being a "small" base, they tend to have alien types of every type, including Commanders. They also have hi-tech gear like Blaster Launchers, that while they sound terrifying, they work poorly in such cramped spaces*, so they ought to have less explosive weaponry IMO. The map benefits more the player than the aliens here due their lack of melee focus.

Hmmm... I'll think about that. Maybe indeed Commanders are too much. But I'll need to enable Chtonites for standard alien bases, or maybe make a biggest version of their underground outposts - deeper underground.

Also, Lobstermen should have a claw-hand or something in their paperdolls to show they're armed with melee attacks. I know it's a minor downside, but I was surprised when an apparently harmless lobsterman that was running away, turned back and ate one of my soldiers. Thankfully Brainjacks work against them.

This part is currently under development. Though I have no idea what else I can do to tell you that these things are dangerous. :P

That reminds me: Are there underwater-proof armors besides the Diving Suit? The game is not telling so far.

Sure, some later armours also work underwater (though generally not as well as on the surface).

*Osiron vessels suffer of this to a lesser extent: Osiron Goons with RPGs tend to accidentally kill themselves when trying to attack you, or when they go berserk.

Like all units in any mod...

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 02, 2018, 05:39:42 pm »
This part is currently under development. Though I have no idea what else I can do to tell you that these things are dangerous. :P

Well, since I knew from TFTD that they can use weapons, I expected this one without anything showing up on his paperdoll to be unarmed and somehow harmless. Having the "Reaper bite" show up in one of its slots should be enough.

Like all units in any mod...

Well yeah, but your units can be equipped to not use explosive weapons in close combat. The AI can't do that, but perhaps you can edit that map's units so that Chtonites don't have rocket launchers? Similar case for the Osiron Vessel: It doesn't make sense for dudes inside a ship to carry rocket launchers. Having the other types of heavy machineguns should work (in fact, some of them carry M-60s, have these replace the RPGs or something).

Lastly, Pulse Weapons rock! Too bad sound-wise they're a bit lame, I half-expected the sound bit from Alien's famous machineguns.  :)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 02, 2018, 07:43:21 pm »
Well, since I knew from TFTD that they can use weapons, I expected this one without anything showing up on his paperdoll to be unarmed and somehow harmless. Having the "Reaper bite" show up in one of its slots should be enough.

Reapers don't have hands and therefore we can use hand slots for the weapon. Lobstermen need these slots for, well, weapons. :)
But all this is going to be rehashed soon, when we have the new code for unarmed combat.

Well yeah, but your units can be equipped to not use explosive weapons in close combat. The AI can't do that, but perhaps you can edit that map's units so that Chtonites don't have rocket launchers? Similar case for the Osiron Vessel: It doesn't make sense for dudes inside a ship to carry rocket launchers. Having the other types of heavy machineguns should work (in fact, some of them carry M-60s, have these replace the RPGs or something).

OK, some polishing might be good.

Lastly, Pulse Weapons rock! Too bad sound-wise they're a bit lame, I half-expected the sound bit from Alien's famous machineguns.  :)

I'm open to suggestions, especially in the form of sound files. ;)

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: May 02, 2018, 08:36:06 pm »
The rehash that Solarius is mentioning won't change how lobsterman melee works at all, but it will allow your agents to attack while unarmed, meaning you'll at least have the expectation that no weapons does not mean no danger.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 02, 2018, 08:47:51 pm »
The rehash that Solarius is mentioning won't change how lobsterman melee works at all, but it will allow your agents to attack while unarmed, meaning you'll at least have the expectation that no weapons does not mean no danger.

Oh, interesting, if a bit useless for your agents, as no alien except Sectoids will fall to kung fu tricks... Except for power armored punches, maybe...

Will power fists from WH40k be a thing in the future?  ;)

Reapers don't have hands and therefore we can use hand slots for the weapon. Lobstermen need these slots for, well, weapons. :)

Well, it caught me off-guard, because I expected that unit to be disarmed, not have a surprise, "invisible" melee attack. Anyway, now I know how to act properly.

I'm open to suggestions, especially in the form of sound files. ;)

Alright then, here's how the Pulse Rifle should sound, or it is considered a bug.

And the SmartGun, intended for bigger beasties.

By the way, the Large Workshop mod that you intend to adapt, which parts of it will you use (besides the Large Workshop, stuff like the Deployable Buildings and the like I mean)?¨Will there be trouble if I'm using it and you add your own variation in your mod?

Offline zetzet13

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 02, 2018, 10:36:03 pm »
Not sure if this is a bug or just a misassumption on my part:

The cyber armor is replaced by hazmat suits in hostile environments like dimension X.

The line "...protects against all battle hazards" and the helmet let me assume that it also works like the bio-exo suit.
Maybe a line could be added:

"Although not being hermetically sealed..."

or

"Although not insulating the user against hostile environments this suit offers protection against most weapons and other battle hazards."

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 02, 2018, 11:33:21 pm »

It will, however, make things more inconspicuous, as most units will have "invisible" attacks. :P

Oh, interesting, if a bit useless for your agents, as no alien except Sectoids will fall to kung fu tricks...

Sigh... You definitely should watch more bad movies.

Except for power armored punches, maybe...

Will power fists from WH40k be a thing in the future?  ;)

Armours will differ in attacks. ;)

Alright then, here's how the Pulse Rifle should sound, or it is considered a bug.

Eh, thanks, but these aren't sound files. :P

By the way, the Large Workshop mod that you intend to adapt, which parts of it will you use (besides the Large Workshop, stuff like the Deployable Buildings and the like I mean)?¨Will there be trouble if I'm using it and you add your own variation in your mod?

No specific plans yet.

Not sure if this is a bug or just a misassumption on my part:

The cyber armor is replaced by hazmat suits in hostile environments like dimension X.

The line "...protects against all battle hazards" and the helmet let me assume that it also works like the bio-exo suit.
Maybe a line could be added:

"Although not being hermetically sealed..."

or

"Although not insulating the user against hostile environments this suit offers protection against most weapons and other battle hazards."

Hmmmm, no, cyber armour was not planned as a fully self-sustaining gear... But maybe it should be? I'll think about it.

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 03, 2018, 01:14:28 am »
Sigh... You definitely should watch more bad movies.

Heh, I thought you wanted to have this mod mostly serious, hence why I didn't consider stuff like armwrestling Floaters and Mutons.

Eh, thanks, but these aren't sound files. :P

Drat, I guess I shouldn't have expected to be this easy. The sound file should be mp3, right?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 03, 2018, 11:10:06 am »
Heh, I thought you wanted to have this mod mostly serious, hence why I didn't consider stuff like armwrestling Floaters and Mutons.

Maybe not armwrestling, but some Hollywood tactics is a good thing, in moderation. No matter how serious a game is, it's still a game, and is, you know, simplified.

Drat, I guess I shouldn't have expected to be this easy. The sound file should be mp3, right?

Mp3 is probably the worst choice, as it doesn't agree with the OXC engine. I use wavs. (But can convert if needed.)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 03, 2018, 11:29:37 am »
Mp3 is probably the worst choice, as it doesn't agree with the OXC engine. I use wavs. (But can convert if needed.)

Soo, something like the following file? First time I try doing something like this.