Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072105 times)

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #900 on: January 10, 2018, 09:26:04 am »
I ran into a minor bug in an apprehension mission on a trainyard map.  There is only one door into the central tunnel that divides the map, and it is blocked off.  In the minimap picture there is a second alcove in the wall but no door there.  I'm including a save file, but I'm in Ironman mode.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: January 10, 2018, 11:20:49 pm »
Oops... sorry. Here is it.

Are you using a custom build of OXCE+?  Neither Meridian or I have been able to reproduce the crash, and the build for the OXCE+ version shown in the save file doesn't match a commit in either of our repositories.

Offline Nord

• Commander
  • The Gate is open.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: January 11, 2018, 08:32:22 am »
Well, i use android version, and dont have access to pc to check it there... So it can be a problem with oxce+...

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #903 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:13 pm »
Could it be that you have updated the .exe, but not the data files (common and standard folders)?

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: January 11, 2018, 09:40:18 pm »
Another bugreport (not very thorough though):

Missing strings in v. 0.8.2:

STR_MIB0_CORPSE
STR_CAVE_GIRL_CORPSE
STR_CAVE_GUY_CORPSE
STR_EASY_RIDER_CORPSE
STR_FEMALE_STORMY_CORPSE
STR_MALE_STORMY_CORPSE
STR_LUCHADOR_CORPSE
STR_MOTOR_MAN_CORPSE
STR_PINKY_DEVIL_CORPSE
STR_TECH_WIZARD_CORPSE
STR_WESTMAN_CORPSE
STR_BROTHER_OF_APOCALYPSE_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_WORKER_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_AGENT_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_CAPTAIN_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_SCIENTIST_CORPSE
STR_HUMAN_OSIRON_GOON_CORPSE
STR_HUMAN_OSIRON_BOSS_CORPSE
STR_MERIDIAN_HUNTER_CORPSE
STR_DIMENSION_X_WRECK_SECURED
STR_REPTOID_BASE_BRIEFING

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: January 11, 2018, 11:01:56 pm »
Another bugreport (not very thorough though):

Missing strings in v. 0.8.2:

STR_MIB0_CORPSE
STR_CAVE_GIRL_CORPSE
STR_CAVE_GUY_CORPSE
STR_EASY_RIDER_CORPSE
STR_FEMALE_STORMY_CORPSE
STR_MALE_STORMY_CORPSE
STR_LUCHADOR_CORPSE
STR_MOTOR_MAN_CORPSE
STR_PINKY_DEVIL_CORPSE
STR_TECH_WIZARD_CORPSE
STR_WESTMAN_CORPSE
STR_BROTHER_OF_APOCALYPSE_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_WORKER_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_AGENT_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_CAPTAIN_CORPSE
STR_SYNDICATE_MERC_SCIENTIST_CORPSE
STR_HUMAN_OSIRON_GOON_CORPSE
STR_HUMAN_OSIRON_BOSS_CORPSE
STR_MERIDIAN_HUNTER_CORPSE
STR_DIMENSION_X_WRECK_SECURED
STR_REPTOID_BASE_BRIEFING

Thanks, but I don't think any of these are needed - they're either corpses (with name: STR_CORPSE) or still unused strings.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: January 15, 2018, 11:52:51 pm »
In 0.8.2 I've been getting civilian corpses.  Based on the names I assume this is a bug.  Also, it costs significantly more to make stun ammo than to make Alien Alloy ammo.  Is it intended to be this expensive?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: January 16, 2018, 12:06:07 am »
In 0.8.2 I've been getting civilian corpses.  Based on the names I assume this is a bug.

Yeah, but I still don't know how it happens.

Also, it costs significantly more to make stun ammo than to make Alien Alloy ammo.  Is it intended to be this expensive?

I'm hesitating. It's not absurd, considering that you don't need any alloys for it.

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: January 16, 2018, 12:14:48 am »
Is the time to manufacture also meant to be so much higher?  I meant to add it in when asking about cost, but I got distracted with italics.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2018, 12:22:06 am »
Is the time to manufacture also meant to be so much higher?  I meant to add it in when asking about cost, but I got distracted with italics.

What, aren't they worth it? :)

Offline LuigiWhatif

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2018, 12:38:44 am »
Not for me, but I do prefer using melee to stun.  I suppose I just wanted the option and was irked by how long it took.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: January 23, 2018, 12:07:08 pm »
I really think the multi launcher could do with being reduced to 65-60 damage. Its currently more compact than the UAC rocket launcher in comparison to capacity, more accurate, has an immense 8 shot magazine, and barely does less than standard RPG rounds. Alternatively, any possibility of seperating them into mini rockets, and full sized rockets? Giving the 8 round drum with a smaller damage, comparable to the heavy grenade launcher, and the standard damage, or even slightly buffed for a 4 round drum? I relied unbelievably heavy on this in FMP, and it was a little cheap then, and I doubt its much better now.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 24, 2018, 12:01:59 am »
I really think the multi launcher could do with being reduced to 65-60 damage. Its currently more compact than the UAC rocket launcher in comparison to capacity, more accurate, has an immense 8 shot magazine, and barely does less than standard RPG rounds. Alternatively, any possibility of seperating them into mini rockets, and full sized rockets? Giving the 8 round drum with a smaller damage, comparable to the heavy grenade launcher, and the standard damage, or even slightly buffed for a 4 round drum? I relied unbelievably heavy on this in FMP, and it was a little cheap then, and I doubt its much better now.

You're right, it's probably bad balance. Decreased damage to 64.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:45 am »
I think the scout tank size is GROSSLY disproportional : at least checking numbers from FMP the scout tank is identical in storage space to a full sized tank. I'd suggest making it 1.5 units, rather than 7, considering its significantly smaller in all demensions. Besides, being able to stock some for base defense would be nifty.

On the topic, isn't 15 hp and 6 rounds a little light? The rounds hit hard, but it seems like a single pistol round can put it out of commission on high damage rolls, while anything else almost promises a death. Id figure a jump to 40 hp would be reasonable, after all, its supposed to be LIGHTLY armored, but besides being able to resist ultra light rounds SOME of the time, it seems incredibly fragile at all other times. At least 40 would give it a decent chance to resist a rifle round once without falling apart. on anything but a lowball.

The 6 round magazine also seems a little light. I mean, it can't exactly reload mid mission. What about 8 or even 10 shots?

I also want to say, the sectoid power shields are horribly over powered. It seems they fully restore after a single turn, which means unless you train lots of fire at them on 1 turn, they wont even be hurt. It wouldn't be so bad if the shields took longer (4 turns maybe?) to fully restore, but it seems like it takes several m60 rounds just to break the shield, much less DAMAGE the target.

Generally, I've found the sectoid ships to be ridiculously dangerous, between the shields and psionic attacks. It takes continued grenade launcher attacks, m60 fire, grenades, just to drop a single soldier. I understand soldiers should be a little hardy, but the sectoids are easily several fold more difficult to kill than gazers in FMP. I think either the total shield HP should be lowered, regeneration made slower than instant, or both. Another idea is to make the shield HP take from unit energy, or possibly even deal significant stun damage when it bursts, so at least bursting the shield multiple times will knock out the user, so its not so cheap.

p90 should have its auto fire mode raised to a larger burst size : p90 is known for its fast automatic fire isn't it?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2018, 11:03:56 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 25, 2018, 08:01:22 pm »
I think the scout tank size is GROSSLY disproportional : at least checking numbers from FMP the scout tank is identical in storage space to a full sized tank. I'd suggest making it 1.5 units, rather than 7, considering its significantly smaller in all demensions. Besides, being able to stock some for base defense would be nifty.

On the topic, isn't 15 hp and 6 rounds a little light? The rounds hit hard, but it seems like a single pistol round can put it out of commission on high damage rolls, while anything else almost promises a death. Id figure a jump to 40 hp would be reasonable, after all, its supposed to be LIGHTLY armored, but besides being able to resist ultra light rounds SOME of the time, it seems incredibly fragile at all other times. At least 40 would give it a decent chance to resist a rifle round once without falling apart. on anything but a lowball.

The 6 round magazine also seems a little light. I mean, it can't exactly reload mid mission. What about 8 or even 10 shots?

With total overhaul of tanks around the corner anyway, I'm not going to touch it. Well, except for size - I decreased it.

I also want to say, the sectoid power shields are horribly over powered.

Good!

It seems they fully restore after a single turn, which means unless you train lots of fire at them on 1 turn, they wont even be hurt. It wouldn't be so bad if the shields took longer (4 turns maybe?) to fully restore, but it seems like it takes several m60 rounds just to break the shield, much less DAMAGE the target.

Yeah, right... Total capacity 75, regenerates 15 per turn. Total full restoration in a turn. :P Totally not 5 turns, yeah. :P

I've found the sectoid ships to be ridiculously dangerous, between the shields and psionic attacks. It takes continued grenade launcher attacks, m60 fire, grenades, just to drop a single soldier. I understand soldiers should be a little hardy, but the sectoids are easily several fold more difficult to kill than gazers in FMP. I think either the total shield HP should be lowered, regeneration made slower than instant, or both. Another idea is to make the shield HP take from unit energy, or possibly even deal significant stun damage when it bursts, so at least bursting the shield multiple times will knock out the user, so its not so cheap.

I think you're really getting carried away here... All of this is just untrue. How am I supposed to answer that?
Maybe Sectoids are a bit too tough. Maybe. But certainly not in the way you described.

p90 should have its auto fire mode raised to a larger burst size : p90 is known for its fast automatic fire isn't it?

Maybe, but we could keep increasing everything, and then increasing other stuff to keep it balanced, then we go back to the beginning etc. Maybe let's not, but I'll think about it.

EDIT: Sorry, in fact the shield regenerates twice per turn (after your turn and after enemy turn)... I think I'll decrease regeneration time.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 08:16:29 pm by Solarius Scorch »