aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072844 times)

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #660 on: August 14, 2017, 11:22:52 am »
So, adapting captured psiclones would be possible, but manufacturing them would still require capturing a psionic sectoid? Makes sense now.

Yes.

What about the requirements to use psiclones and flame glove? Would they require psi-lab training?

For Psiclone no, for Flame Glove yes.

A couple more bugs:
1. Middle-clicking "Fat Zombie" and "Mongorn Savage" in the "Sell/Sack" screen doesn't display their UFOpaedia pages. I've researched both. Works correctly for other items and prisoners. Base #1 in the attached savegame.

I've never used (or known about) this feature, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I can check, but I have added these units like any other unit in the game, so I can't really do much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

2. Some agents carrying a Xeno shield appear without it in the inventory screen. Most others look correctly. 2 agents in the van 3 at base #2 in the attached savegame. (Sorry I mixed "absent" and "present" in the screenshot names.)

I've never seen it, and all code looks fine. Are you sure it's not an installation issue?

3. I found and researched a sledgehammer (on a tomb guardian), got a message that I can now buy it, but it still doesn't appear on the purchase/hire screen. Bug?

Unlikely. No idea how I could break it if I wanted, anyway.

4. Ctrl-J in debug mode does not put zombies and robots to sleep. Is this a bug or by design behaviour?

That's not a question to me. I don't even know what Ctrl-J does. :)

Offline HT

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 14, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »
Yes.

That's not a question to me. I don't even know what Ctrl-J does. :)

That reminds me: Does Psiclone use an agent's psy stats to work? The description does seem to imply they're not really necessary and currently it's hard to get a Psi-Lab before the invasion starts, so I dunno if Voodoo Psychic Power influences the chances of success.
As for Ctr-J, it deals stun damage to all enemies. Robots and Zombies are immune to regular stun damage, so it won't work on them. Instead, try using Electric-type weaponry (aka stun batons and the like) to knock them out (or at least the undead, no idea if robots can be stunned).

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 15, 2017, 12:39:41 am »
Makes sense.

1. Middle-clicking "Fat Zombie" and "Mongorn Savage" in the "Sell/Sack" screen doesn't display their UFOpaedia pages.
I've never used (or known about) this feature, so I have no idea what you're talking about. I can check, but I have added these units like any other unit in the game, so I can't really do much. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've checked some more, though far from everything yet. It does not seem to work for other living "Strange life forms", rented cars and vans, Red Ops, Red Dawn Pioneers, weapon clips (not sure if they need it) and some Hybrid prisoners. It works for weapons, animal corpses and most human prisoners:

Didn't work for:
public vans and public cars
weapon clips
Zombie
Spikeboar
Mongorn Savage
Giant Spider
Gilldog
Giant Beetle
Deep One Servant
Hybrid Worker
Red Dawn Pioneer (both)
Red Ops (both)

Worked for:
Leather Coat
all weapons
Alien Fuel Trace
First Aid Kit
Bone
Skull
Alien Communicator
Psiclone
Red Dawn Memory Card
Durathread
Durathread Manufacturing
Alien Alloys
Zombie Corpse (and probably all other corpses)
Zombie Parasite
Disciple/Priest/Chosen of Dagon
Black Lotus Follower/Warrior/Witch/Footman
Red Dawn Ganger/Lad/Coordinator
EXALT Infiltrator/Goon/Enforcer

So, it's either living animals or cases when several things have the same Ufopaedia page.

Some agents carrying a Xeno shield appear without it in the inventory screen.
I've never seen it, and all code looks fine. Are you sure it's not an installation issue?
I copied UFOEU and TFTD files to their folders in /usr/share/openxcom/UFO/ and /usr/share/openxcom/TFTD/ then unpacked the mod and copied the directory XComFiles to ~/.local/share/openxcom/mods/ What can be wrong?

Have you tried my file on your machine?

I found and researched a sledgehammer (on a tomb guardian), got a message that I can now buy it, but it still doesn't appear on the purchase/hire screen. Bug?
Unlikely. No idea how I could break it if I wanted, anyway.
Could I be looking at the wrong part of the list? Where should it appear? Between crossbow and wooden club, like in Ufopaedia?

As for Ctr-J, it deals stun damage to all enemies.
Like dart pistol and rifle? Thanks.
Robots and Zombies are immune to regular stun damage, so it won't work on them. Instead, try using Electric-type weaponry (aka stun batons and the like) to knock them out (or at least the undead, no idea if robots can be stunned).
Yes, both can be stunned by taser pistol, electric club and stun rod. Hitting with a shield works on zombies, but isn't very effective.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 12:43:01 am by tkzv »

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: August 15, 2017, 09:56:30 am »
4. Ctrl-J in debug mode does not put zombies and robots to sleep. Is this a bug or by design behaviour?

By design.

Ctrl+J does 1000 stun damage... units immune to stun damage are not hurt of course.

Same for Ctrl+K, which does 1000 piercing damage.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 15, 2017, 10:45:10 am »
Meridian, do you have any ideas what could cause the problems with Ufopaedia not opening from Sell/Sack window, shields missing from inventory pictures and unbuyable sledgehammer?

Online Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 15, 2017, 11:30:28 am »
Meridian, do you have any ideas what could cause the problems with Ufopaedia not opening from Sell/Sack window

Article not existing or not having the same name as the item.

shields missing from inventory pictures

Bug in a mod?

unbuyable sledgehammer?

Prerequisites not met.

PS: just guessing in all 3... give me a save where it happens and I can check...

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 15, 2017, 05:08:12 pm »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 15, 2017, 05:27:21 pm »
That reminds me: Does Psiclone use an agent's psy stats to work? The description does seem to imply they're not really necessary and currently it's hard to get a Psi-Lab before the invasion starts, so I dunno if Voodoo Psychic Power influences the chances of success.

I think it depends on Psi Strength, but not Skill.

As for Ctr-J, it deals stun damage to all enemies. Robots and Zombies are immune to regular stun damage, so it won't work on them. Instead, try using Electric-type weaponry (aka stun batons and the like) to knock them out (or at least the undead, no idea if robots can be stunned).

Okay... Well, It depends on the unit really. I might go down the Piratez route and make Ufopaedia entries per armour, not per unit.

I've checked some more, though far from everything yet. It does not seem to work for other living "Strange life forms", rented cars and vans, Red Ops, Red Dawn Pioneers, weapon clips (not sure if they need it) and some Hybrid prisoners. It works for weapons, animal corpses and most human prisoners:

I guess it works for units with armour entries, and doesn't for other units... I honestly have no idea. It's not a feature I requested, and not in vanilla, so... basically, I don't care, to be honest.
If someone tells me exactly what is wr5ong and how to fix it, I might, if it's not too much work. For now, I just don't even understand what's going on.

I copied UFOEU and TFTD files to their folders in /usr/share/openxcom/UFO/ and /usr/share/openxcom/TFTD/ then unpacked the mod and copied the directory XComFiles to ~/.local/share/openxcom/mods/ What can be wrong?

No idea...

Have you tried my file on your machine?

Yes... It looks fine to me. Armours with shields have shields, while armours without shields don't have shields.

Could I be looking at the wrong part of the list? Where should it appear? Between crossbow and wooden club, like in Ufopaedia?

It's STR_SLEDGEHAMMER in the files. In Ufopaedia, it is between STR_NOOSE and STR_BONE_CLUB.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:12 pm »
I guess it works for units with armour entries, and doesn't for other units...

It doesn't work for Red Ops, Red Dawn Pioneers and Hybrid Workers/Supervisors/Agents. Those have armour, but they have multiple unit names for a single Ufopaedia page. For example, STR_ZSRR_PIONEER_FEMALE and STR_ZSRR_PIONEER_MALE should both call STR_ZSRR_PIONEER. Similarly, STR_SHAMBLER_TERRORIST calls STR_SHAMBLER.

Could this cause the problem?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 16, 2017, 12:30:59 am »
It doesn't work for Red Ops, Red Dawn Pioneers and Hybrid Workers/Supervisors/Agents. Those have armour, but they have multiple unit names for a single Ufopaedia page. For example, STR_ZSRR_PIONEER_FEMALE and STR_ZSRR_PIONEER_MALE should both call STR_ZSRR_PIONEER. Similarly, STR_SHAMBLER_TERRORIST calls STR_SHAMBLER.

Could this cause the problem?

Possibly, yes. I will investigate, just give me some time please.

Offline DreamThorn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2017, 06:58:52 pm »
I seem to have the place for bug reports. ;)

I think the zero movement cost is working on the snowy grass and snowy sludge in the latest, but I have the same problem in some other biomes.  I've kept a save, so I'll attach it.  In the screenshot I highlighted the problem, although it seems there are two kinds of tiles that look exactly the same, but only one kind has the bug.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2017, 07:12:14 pm »
Thanks, I found the map, but couldn't see any wrong with it... Perhaps you have some older files that need to be updated? I have modified forest terrain some time ago.

Offline DreamThorn

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2017, 10:43:09 pm »
I'll try removing the mod and extracting it fresh.

Offline Kammerer

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2017, 11:11:26 pm »
Some more small bugs:

CIVM_ARMOR: CIVILIAN - missing quotes around the string

Missing strings: STR_CYBER_ARMOR_CORPSE, STR_BOWS

STR_MILKOR_MGL_UFOPEDIA: This lightweight, grenade launcher - the comma is unnecessary here.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: August 24, 2017, 01:12:38 am »
Thank you! All fixed.

As for the STR_CYBER_ARMOR_CORPSE, like oter X-Com corpses - it has no name of its own. It has "name: STR_CORPSE" instead.