Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1099638 times)

Offline SteamXCOM

• Colonel
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #585 on: July 18, 2017, 04:36:55 am »
  That "Predict UFO trajectory" is getting a reputation:

There's one mod that requires a quantum computer to run it. It has to do with "Predicted Flight Path" it was bundled in the final mod pack. If I had 2 interceptors out it would make the game come to a crawl. Single digit fps, it was unplayable! So I would stay away from that mod, and doesn't really effect intercept times. It did sound good though and did what it advertised, plus massive memory leaks.
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/7760/discussions/0/1290690669216060243/ 

I was not aware of "Predict UFO trajectory" being "bundled in" any mod, only an option to use or not.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 18, 2017, 09:25:16 am »
Wooden fences can be walked through, it seems.

This wouldn't actually be a bad idea by itself, IF walking over it used far more TU's / a bit of energy, to vault over it.

Offline tkzv

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 18, 2017, 11:23:06 am »
Wooden fences can be walked through, it seems.

This wouldn't actually be a bad idea by itself, IF walking over it used far more TU's / a bit of energy, to vault over it.
They are passable only at some points. If someone needs an example, I'll save the next mission with fences.

Unrelated bug: generated Cyberweb lairs may be separated by walls. In the attached "CE-4-1-1_.sav" the 4 rooms on the right (on the map) are separated from the rest. I had to shoot the wall with a CW ray gun.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 18, 2017, 03:54:45 pm »
macro SMG and battlescape sprite must be changed : it fires rounds the size of sniper rounds, yet uses the sprite of and sound of an uzi. At least use the mp5 texture, and rifle sound...I can believe the same sound between the uzi and mac10, despite the completely different calibur, but the uzi and macro smg being the same is just silly.

EDIT : mountaints are bugged, the area where theres not a solid wall block (by my soldier) can be entered from the outside. Besides that, seems to be poorly over-lapped hills, and no chance to walk atop the mountain without a jetpack.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 05:19:33 am by mumble »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #589 on: July 19, 2017, 11:24:21 pm »
I noticed the hazmat suit is weaker than a business suit in terms of armor : All the hazmat stuff I've ever seen is AT LEAST as durable as a leather coat, possibly more so, about 10 on the armor scale.  If its big enough to stop fire and other stuff, I figure the sheer bulk would at least soften blows of bats, knives, and other elements. It would still be a dubious choice over kevlar, since kevlar is more bullet RESISTANT, but it would make it less an awful choice if it wasn't paper fragile too.

Good point, I raised all armour values to 9.

Also, I still think juggernaut armor should be fire proof : if it can withstand straight up explosives I think it would also be impervious to fire.

Maybe when/if I overhaul armours.

And with kevlar, wouldn't it make sense to have a 20 armor rating on the back, as well as front? I don't think kevlar covers all angles of course, but I'm pretty sure it has a back plate as well. Or if not 20, maybe 15 to simulate it being a weakpoint.

Well, it's a tradeoff between various factors. I'd rather not change it without a good reason, as many enemies use similar gear.

EDIT : save of a random battle crashes when you shoot the monster I'm looking at.

Wow, a hard crash. Perhaps something's wrong with the plane? I'll check.

Unrelated bug: generated Cyberweb lairs may be separated by walls. In the attached "CE-4-1-1_.sav" the 4 rooms on the right (on the map) are separated from the rest. I had to shoot the wall with a CW ray gun.

It's not a bug, it's a limitation. Just blow up the walls, who said X-Com is so perfect with navigating canals?

macro SMG and battlescape sprite must be changed : it fires rounds the size of sniper rounds, yet uses the sprite of and sound of an uzi. At least use the mp5 texture, and rifle sound...I can believe the same sound between the uzi and mac10, despite the completely different calibur, but the uzi and macro smg being the same is just silly.

OK, I'll look when I can.

EDIT : mountaints are bugged, the area where theres not a solid wall block (by my soldier) can be entered from the outside. Besides that, seems to be poorly over-lapped hills, and no chance to walk atop the mountain without a jetpack.

I can't see anything wrong with it.

Besides that, seems to be poorly over-lapped hills, and no chance to walk atop the mountain without a jetpack.

I'm fairly sure it was supposed to be like that. I'm not opposed to improvements, though.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 20, 2017, 01:50:08 am »
The issue with the mountain is that theres a gap where one can slip inside the mountain.

If you look inside it, theres a gap on the south-east side (players perspective) where theres a gap of blocks of the cave "wall". At the point of this gap, if you walk someone up the hill outside of it, you can actually walk from the ill, straight inside the mountain at this point, but its 1 way, and it doesn't LOOK like an intended gap.

Picture related.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 20, 2017, 06:55:05 pm »
The issue with the mountain is that theres a gap where one can slip inside the mountain.

Yes, I understand, but it doesn't look like a bug to me. Well, maybe for the fact it's only one way... But it's notr really so absurd when it comes to caves.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 20, 2017, 11:28:00 pm »
I guess, I'd much rather have a normal cave entrance than that.

Also, the shadow parts around the edge show theres ground above it, as theres hillside right above. Why would there be hillside overhead a hillside? Shouldn't it be 1 big slope? Besides aesthetics, this blocks shots when your head is inside the hillside, and you can teleport upward by crouching : VERY buggy.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 01:16:14 am by mumble »

Offline firsttefl1

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 21, 2017, 10:44:37 am »
1) There is a string missing ("Small hybrid convoy" mission).
(It's v. 0.6.5 though - perhaps it is already fixed).

2) It's not a bug per se, but an issue:
I can research "Alien biology" and (later) living aliens only when I have a Biolab. A "regular" laboratory won't work if there isn't a Biolab at the base. (So, if I have a new base only with a Laboratory, I cannot conduct the "Alien biology" research even if the prerequisite - researching an alien corpse - is already done). Is it supposed to be like that?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 10:54:32 am by firsttefl1 »

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 21, 2017, 03:09:26 pm »
No, definitely not. I'll check.

Offline s20dan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 21, 2017, 05:11:05 pm »
I've got this crash which is repeatable on a specific time, I've attached a save if anyone would be kind enough to help out. :)
 I get the crash one day after the save on 11thMay at around 05:30.
 I already back-tracked several months to an earlier save after running into this crash and played differently but that didn't help as the crash has come back on the same or a similar date.

This is all I see in the log:
Code: [Select]
[21-07-2017_15-07-59] [FATAL] A fatal error has occurred: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
[21-07-2017_15-08-04] [FATAL] OpenXcom has crashed: Segmentation fault. This usually indicates something missing in a mod.
Extra information has been saved to openxcom.log.
If this error was unexpected, please report it to the developers.

Anyone have any ideas? This mod is a lot of fun, would love to carry on playing.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 05:14:03 pm by s20dan »

Offline Meridian

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 21, 2017, 05:17:08 pm »
Anyone have any ideas? This mod is a lot of fun, would love to carry on playing.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

It's the same issue as described here: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5047.msg85420.html#msg85420

You can also download a fix (2 small files) from there.

Offline s20dan

• Squaddie
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 21, 2017, 05:22:10 pm »
Thanks a lot, that worked perfectly :)
Been lurking here a long time, only just realised I never made an account.

Cheers.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 21, 2017, 06:33:34 pm »
2) It's not a bug per se, but an issue:
I can research "Alien biology" and (later) living aliens only when I have a Biolab. A "regular" laboratory won't work if there isn't a Biolab at the base. (So, if I have a new base only with a Laboratory, I cannot conduct the "Alien biology" research even if the prerequisite - researching an alien corpse - is already done). Is it supposed to be like that?

No, definitely not. I'll check.

Sorry, I misunderstood earlier... Lab should not give you biochemical facilities by itself.

Offline mumble

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 22, 2017, 04:32:26 am »
I do encourage you to examine the save I posted : you can have your head halfway inside an overhead mountain, meaning you cannot shoot since your gun is inside block tile, and also crouching somehow sends you flying upward to the next tile, for some reason.

EDIT : facility requirement for research (or, at least the BIOLAB) is fulfilled before its FINISHED. I was able to research a werewolf when the biolab had 8 more days till construction finished.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2017, 01:04:08 pm by mumble »