aliens

Author Topic: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste  (Read 1072139 times)

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Bugs, crashes, typos & bad taste
« Reply #390 on: April 01, 2017, 01:47:22 am »
I do not know if it was already pointed out or not, but I have found no way to know which interceptor has what kind of weapon mounts (light/missile/heavy).

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
    • Nocturmal Productions modding studio website
« Reply #391 on: April 01, 2017, 02:57:19 pm »
I do not know if it was already pointed out or not, but I have found no way to know which interceptor has what kind of weapon mounts (light/missile/heavy).

It... needs more attention. Badly.

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: April 01, 2017, 07:08:44 pm »
It... needs more attention. Badly.
Well, what firmoints does interceptor and raven have? What kind of weapon is laser cannon/gauss cannon?

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: April 01, 2017, 08:03:10 pm »
Well, what firmoints does interceptor and raven have? What kind of weapon is laser cannon/gauss cannon?

Interceptor should have a cannon slot and a light rocket slot. Raven should have two cannon slots, a heavy rocket slot and an engine mod slot.

Gauss Cannon is a Cannon, while Laser Cannon is a Beam (which is something else).

Yes, all of this should go in the Ufopaedia... The problem is, half of this is bugged. I just need to finish this up.

EDIT:

not sure if this was fixed in 6.2 (sorry, haven't had time to test AT ALL lately) but in 6.2, fire grenades seem to crash the zombie catacombs. Save included shows how, just throw one infront of the unit who is downstairs. Strangely, this is just fire, and not explosives.

It crashed for me... once. Then I loaded the game again after removing all foreign mods and it worked fine.

Meridian also reported no crash on his side.

Also, FOR THE BAZILLIONTH TIME, DON'T ENABLE THE ALIENS PICK UP WEAPONS MOD. IS IT WRITTEN CLEARLY ENOUGH NOW?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2017, 02:32:20 pm by Solarius Scorch »

Offline Dr.Crowley

• Colonel
  • Saving data in the name of the Emperor!
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: April 02, 2017, 04:59:45 pm »
Maybe you should write it in the first post too?

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: April 03, 2017, 10:49:07 am »
Interceptor should have a cannon slot and a light rocket slot. Raven should have two cannon slots, a heavy rocket slot and an engine mod slot.
Gauss Cannon is a Cannon, while Laser Cannon is a Beam (which is something else).
Yes, all of this should go in the Ufopaedia... The problem is, half of this is bugged. I just need to finish this up.

Great, thanks for letting me know. Now I can arm my fighters with Gauss instead of trying to fit Laser cannon on anything.
Maybe we could include this info just in Ufopedia by editing text file? I know there are better ways to do it, but this one is Pareto mode - 20% work, 80% of success.
Also, Solarius, maybe you could use some assistance? We all have schools, day jobs, families and I believe developing such mod takes quite a bit of your time.
I really like your mod, less overblown than Piratez. Maybe some chores could be done for you by your fans?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 10:58:57 am by bluberd »

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: April 03, 2017, 10:53:51 am »
I have another issue, not sure if it's a bug.
I have three bases and a large radar in every each of them.
2 finished before 0.62, the third finished after applying 0.62 patch. Also, not sure it this is connected to the patch.
Only the third one shows the range of the radar (this large circle around the base). The other ones do not have this circle.
More importantly I do not see much of the airborne traffic, but maybe it is because it is Jan 99 so there are no UFOs flying?

Offline HelmetHair

• Colonel
  • He who laughs last thinks fastest.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: April 03, 2017, 02:09:59 pm »

Could you expand on this for me?

So you have different weapon types for different slots...Cool. It might need to be explained via ufopedia, but you've acknowledged that. Can you change the buttons on the weapon numbers to reflect which is what on a craft in the equip craft scree? Maybe a C or cannon, R for rocket, E for enginemod etc etc etc?

Chin up buddy you're doing awesome work that we all appreciate. Black Boss is indeed Morgan Freeman good.

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: April 03, 2017, 02:52:07 pm »
Only the third one shows the range of the radar (this large circle around the base). The other ones do not have this circle.
More importantly I do not see much of the airborne traffic, but maybe it is because it is Jan 99 so there are no UFOs flying?

Do the two bases that don't have the circles have XCOM HQs? Those count as radars with global range. Only the largest circle on a base is drawn, so you only see the HQ's global range.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: April 03, 2017, 06:34:21 pm »
Maybe you should write it in the first post too?

OK, I did that... Though I'd think readme should be enough.

Maybe we could include this info just in Ufopedia by editing text file? I know there are better ways to do it, but this one is Pareto mode - 20% work, 80% of success.

I've done it already, will be available with the next update.

Also, Solarius, maybe you could use some assistance? We all have schools, day jobs, families and I believe developing such mod takes quite a bit of your time.
I really like your mod, less overblown than Piratez. Maybe some chores could be done for you by your fans?

Much appreciated! Actually there is already a thread for this: https://openxcom.org/forum/index.php/topic,5215.0.html - it contains some stuff that needs to be done.

I have another issue, not sure if it's a bug.
I have three bases and a large radar in every each of them.
2 finished before 0.62, the third finished after applying 0.62 patch. Also, not sure it this is connected to the patch.

Like Ohartenstein wrote below, it's an engine limitation... Only the radar with the longest range is displayed, so if you have an HQ or some similar building in a base, the circle won't be drawn, as this building has a global reach "radar".

Depends on RNG.

So you have different weapon types for different slots...Cool. It might need to be explained via ufopedia, but you've acknowledged that. Can you change the buttons on the weapon numbers to reflect which is what on a craft in the equip craft scree? Maybe a C or cannon, R for rocket, E for enginemod etc etc etc?

I admit it would be cool, but no, sadly not possible. There will be text info though.

Chin up buddy you're doing awesome work that we all appreciate. Black Boss is indeed Morgan Freeman good.

Glad you liked it! :)

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: April 03, 2017, 08:58:39 pm »
Do the two bases that don't have the circles have XCOM HQs? Those count as radars with global range. Only the largest circle on a base is drawn, so you only see the HQ's global range.
Yes, those have HQ built in them. So I do not need large radar if I have HQ? Good, I need to start saving :)

And while we are still at the fighter planes: why all of them need to have only 1 crew member? I mean, if you designed Raven, Interceptor, Thunderstorm and Sentinel like that, then it is what it is, but Mig31 has actually 2 seats. Or maybe it is WIP? Because if Raven and Sentinel have 2 as much weapon mounts as Mig31 they could really use WSO in there. Thunderstorm is a wierd one here, because I think it should have just one/two armament points?
I would really like Mig31 for those fast response teams of 2 SOF operators (since the early drop ships are sloooow).
Also, Raven crashes mission if you try to land it, Interceptor works and looks like Skyranger.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 09:22:13 pm by bluberd »

Offline ohartenstein23

• Commander
  • Flamethrowers fry cyberdisk circuits
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: April 03, 2017, 09:04:06 pm »
Yes, those have HQ built in them. So I do not need large radar if I have HQ? Good, I need to start saving :)

You only need one HQ really (or ~20), since it has a low detection chance, something like 5% per half-hour.  It'd cost less to get the same coverage out of large radars in different bases than getting enough HQs to get reliable global detection.  I wouldn't way they replace each other, they have different purposes; large radar is guaranteed detection in its radius, and the HQ radar is best at making sure no UFO can leave your radar screen when it's been detected.

Offline bluberd

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: April 03, 2017, 09:47:26 pm »
You only need one HQ really (or ~20), since it has a low detection chance, something like 5% per half-hour.  It'd cost less to get the same coverage out of large radars in different bases than getting enough HQs to get reliable global detection.  I wouldn't way they replace each other, they have different purposes; large radar is guaranteed detection in its radius, and the HQ radar is best at making sure no UFO can leave your radar screen when it's been detected.
I built second HQ when I was pursuing R&D path (it is extra 5 scientists) and had no lab yet. I know, costy, but hey, you invest when the best you have is crappy shotgun.
Then I just left it as a backup HQ in case the firs one gets raided.
Thanks for letting me know how does the HQ radar work, I guess I need 1 or two more radar stations.
PS: an outpost building with basic storage/living/radar would be nice.

Offline Solarius Scorch

• Global Moderator
  • Commander
  • WE MUST DISSENT
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: April 03, 2017, 11:19:01 pm »
I also built another HQ... It's a matter of choice, really.

As for the fighters... Yeah, WIP.

Offline Eddie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: April 05, 2017, 02:35:01 am »
For weapon STR_HK_MK23_SOCOM there are two aimrange entries, one is 25 and the second is 18. STR_MAUSER also has two aimrange entries, one for 25 and one for 20.
Some other pistol have the two entries as well, but with matching values.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:38:58 am by Eddie »